How do you draw?

Hey guys, just wanna ask you a question ... how do you draw?

What are the steps you take into drawing that final line for the art to become finished?

Mine would be currently this:

1. A small sketch ( Stick people style )

2. A slightly bigger sketch with shapes drawn roughly on it ( Same page )

3. Sketch a bigger figure and slowly and correctly drawing proportions on them ( Same page )

( The above instruction serves me to help me make my imagination solid, then I erase the sketches afterwards to save paper and not waste them )

Now I use a new blank paper.

1. Draw a big rough sketch on the paper.

2. Then I use a thin liner to darken the lines.

Now I use the third and final paper.

1. Trace the sketch

2. correct any slight mistakes by erasing and redrawing the curves

FINISHED!!!

So how do YOU do it?

This also applies to computer arts.
I actually do everything on one single paper.
I would sketch things I want to draw first. Refine it and scan into my hardware.
Then the hardest part comes, coloring. After that I have a finished work.
anigu wrote...
I would sketch things I want to draw first. Refine it and scan into my hardware.

So do you refine them during the editing and coloring?
( Like digitally erasing erased parts on the scanned paper )
I just do a rough sketch of a stick figure.
then I add the shapes of a body.
that was it.
I won't draw any further until I kinda mastered to draw good sketches.
no matter if I use pen and paper or a pen table
Legendary_Dollci wrote...
anigu wrote...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I had to lineart them before coloring so yeah, there's refining after scanning too.
anigu wrote...
anigu wrote...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I had to lineart them before coloring so yeah, there's refining after scanning too.

So do you currently possess any graphic tablets?
I'm all digital now. Before, I was drawing on paper, scan it and trace it in Photoshop.
Sometimes, I draw some very small rough thumbs on paper to visualize a scene/pose.
This is kind of a hard question to answer, it depends on what goal you have in mind. For leisurely drawing i usually do some fun sketches without much thought put in to them. But if i'm planning something out for a client or a college class there'd be more thought put in to it. Thumbnails to get a general idea of what i'm going to do. Then i lightly begin to shape the drawing usually using a 2H - 4H Pencil. Then start to shade in the halftones etc. working my way down from light to dark

I don't usually finish a lot of stuff though, most of the time i'm doing studies and fast sketches.
anigu wrote...
anigu wrote...

Yep, a Wacom Intuos3. Old model but still work good for me.
anigu wrote...
anigu wrote...
anigu wrote...

Yep, a Wacom Intuos3. Old model but still work good for me.

I am so jealous ... I wanna get a cintiq soon as I get a job and start my work.
I never touched my pencil again after getting my bamboo tablet ( fun )

1. Sketch in blue
2. Lineart
3. color ( optional )
Hmm. Sometimes i just do sketches on paper. I start with the shape of the body and then add clothing. If it's something silly like a chibi then i do it at once, no ref lines or anything.

If it's on the tablet, i do a first rough sketch on blue, add details in a new layer in red and then i do the lineart and proceed with the coloring.
anigu wrote...
same as me
Regardless if I get a tablet and work on it ..

I'd still draw with a pencil.
this kind of thread goes to a question and answer one. Stop making unnecessary threads in the art section.

______

butthurt much?

Haha, that's also my wish to have a cintiq. But well, I'm fairly satisfied with what I'm using.

Anyway, it's great to have a goal to keep you from job boredom.
anigu wrote...

Haha, that's also my wish to have a cintiq. But well, I'm fairly satisfied with what I'm using.

For anyone who's used the Wacom Tablet extensively, the switch to the Cintiq is kind of awkward. Having your hand in the way kind of gets a little wierd. I know some artists switch to the cintiq though because it's less strain on your wrists because of the larger workspace.

I use the word "switch" and not "upgrade" because the Wacom Cintiq is not necessarily superior to the Wacom Tablet brand. It mostly comes down to preference, some people prefer the Wacom Tablets, some people prefer the Cintiqs. If you do a lot of drawing on sketchbooks then the Cintiq could be a better choice. But people who've spend most of their time on a Wacom Tablet (Intuos etc) might be more comfortable with just sticking in the Wacom Tablet brands.
I rarely do thumbnails or any serious planning.
I just put pencil/pen to paper and just go with the flow.
Usually something comes out from it.
IvIajoi2n wrote...
anigu wrote...

For anyone who's used the Wacom Tablet extensively, the switch to the Cintiq is kind of awkward. Having your hand in the way kind of gets a little wierd. I know some artists switch to the cintiq though because it's less strain on your wrists because of the larger workspace.

I use the word "switch" and not "upgrade" because the Wacom Cintiq is not necessarily superior to the Wacom Tablet brand. It mostly comes down to preference, some people prefer the Wacom Tablets, some people prefer the Cintiqs. If you do a lot of drawing on sketchbooks then the Cintiq could be a better choice. But people who've spend most of their time on a Wacom Tablet (Intuos etc) might be more comfortable with just sticking in the Wacom Tablet brands.

Thanks for the info! I guess I have to stick with my Tablet then. Well, at least nothing of value was lost.

And I can save some money that way.