Suggestions on how to stop crashes for skyrim

guammastermind671 Da RL Lurker at FAKKU
Well from what the title says I would be playing Skyrim and would randomly close to the Desktop without any error message. I tried to counter this by saving before every battle or through parts of a Dungeon and it worked out pretty well. But overall, I am getting tired of doing that and would like to stray away from this habit of saving the game.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can lessen this from happening, because it happens every 30 minutes on average.

and if you want to know my specs, I'll list them below:

Spoiler:
Operating System
MS Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Deneb 45nm Technology

RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 2679MHz (9-9-9-20)

Motherboard
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD 790GX-G65 (MS-7576) (CPU1)
S22B310 (1280x720@60Hz)

GPU
HIS Radeon HD 5670 (ATI AIB)

Hard Drives
466GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA Device

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

And if you want to know, I am running a lot of mods during gameplay. So what do you guys think my problem is? I think I need more RAM to stop Skyrim from crashing, but I would like to hear from everyone about it.

Thanks!
GM671
try changing the video setting to the lowest setting to see what happen.. r ya getting any errors windows?
Does it crash without any mods running? How long has this been going on? Also the recommend ram for the game is 4gb of ram and min is 2 so don't think ram is your issue.
NyC420 wrote...
try changing the video setting to the lowest setting to see what happen.. r ya getting any errors windows?

your advice helped me on keeping it from crashing, but I couldnt use any of the skimpy mods to its full potential. :'(
guammastermind671 wrote...
NyC420 wrote...

your advice helped me on keeping it from crashing, but I couldnt use any of the skimpy mods to its full potential. :'(

Did u use the game b4 started crashing? check if yer video card needs an update, also check if yer pc meets the min req. do you really n need the mods?.
NyC420 wrote...
NyC420 wrote...

Did u use the game b4 started crashing? check if yer video card needs an update, also check if yer pc meets the min req. do you really n need the mods?.

yes because I'm a person with inner desires :D
There's no reason your computer should be running Skyrim with the graphic settings set to minimum.

Raise your graphics settings to the point where you feel satisfied with the framerate and appearance.

Open Skyrim.ini found in Skyrim's root directory.

Change these variables:

bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0

to

bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1

After two or three crashes, post the results from the logs found in the logs folder, which is accessed from Skyrim's root directory.

Make sure your sound card drivers are up to date, then, access the Sound Devices menu from the Control Panel. In the playback tab, right click on your default audio device and select Properties, select the Advanced tab on the new screen and select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) from the drop down menu. (Likely not the cause of your problem but doing this may prevent other problems that could arise in the future.)

Read this guide, even though it's hosted on Nvidia's website the information pertains to anyone who owns the game, lots of great tips for getting some extra performance and fixing crashes. As the reduction in performance stopped or reduced the crashes, there may be something in the .ini files that could be the cause or solution to your problems, this guide touches on the variables found in Skyrim's .ini files.

It's always a good idea to do some general maintenance on your computer as well, this way if you can't fix the crashes you can at least speed up boot and load times. There's also a variable in SkyrimPrefs.ini titled fAutosaveEveryXMins, this controls the amount of time between each auto-save, it's defaulted to 15 minutes but you can shorten this so you don't have to worry about remembering to save so often.

Here's a few more fixes for anything in general, maybe one will solve your issue:

http://crashfixes.com/fixing-skyrim-crashes-freezes-errors-steam-crash-no-sound-lags-choppy-framerates/
Ducauv wrote...
There's no reason your computer should be running Skyrim with the graphic settings set to minimum.

Raise your graphics settings to the point where you feel satisfied with the framerate and appearance.

Change these variables:

bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0

to

bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1

After two or three crashes, post the results from the logs found in the logs folder, which is accessed from Skyrim's root directory.

Make sure your sound card drivers are up to date, then, access the Sound Devices menu from the Control Panel. In the playback tab, right click on your default audio device and select Properties, select the Advanced tab on the new screen and select 24 bit, 44100Hz (Studio Quality) from the drop down menu. (Likely not the cause of your problem but doing this may prevent other problems that could arise in the future.)

Read this guide, even though it's hosted on Nvidia's website the information pertains to anyone who owns the game, lots of great tips for getting some extra performance and fixing crashes. As the reduction in performance stopped or reduced the crashes, there may be something in the .ini files that could be the cause or solution to your problems, this guide touches on the variables found in Skyrim's .ini files.

It's always a good idea to do some general maintenance on your computer as well, this way if you can't fix the crashes you can at least speed up boot and load times. There's also a variable in SkyrimPrefs.ini titled fAutosaveEveryXMins, this controls the amount of time between each auto-save, it's defaulted to 15 minutes but you can shorten this so you don't have to worry about remembering to save so often.

Here's a few more fixes for anything in general, maybe one will solve your issue:

http://crashfixes.com/fixing-skyrim-crashes-freezes-errors-steam-crash-no-sound-lags-choppy-framerates/

will update on what I can find, but atm I cant seem to find the:

bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0

at the moment.. :'(, But i will look more into the links you posted! :D
first try cpu preformance upgrade programs

then if it fails try to:

upgrade your ram
upgrade your hdd
upgrade your motherboard + prosessor
upgrade the videocard
darknessblade wrote...
first try cpu preformance upgrade programs

then if it fails try to:

upgrade your ram
upgrade your hdd
upgrade your motherboard + prosessor
upgrade the videocard

That's a bit too much.....
Spoiler:
Ducauv wrote...

Change these variables:

bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0

to

bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1

will update on what I can find, but atm I cant seem to find the:

bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0

at the moment.. :'(, But i will look more into the links you posted! :D

If you can't find the variables in Skyrim.ini you can add the variables to the file under the [papyrus] category, if there isn't a [papyrus] category, add this to the end of Skyrim.ini

[papyrus]
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1