Rape Culture: The Media View.

Pages 1234Next
In the wake of the Steubenville rape case and it's verdict from sunday that was handed to these two young athletes, there has been a quite diverse reaction to the outcome of the trial, especially within this small town in Ohio, and with the families that have become so chaotically binded together over such an event. But it is in my opinion shocking and disgusting to see some of the reactions that are unfolding through the media. To start with the initial coverage of the trial by CNN, in which they claimed that the aggressors of this crime should be seen as the victims. That those to quote them "two young promising football athletes have had their lives ruined by this rape case.".

What disgusts be about this is that journalistic integrity is being thrown aside with no concious thought to morality, but instead favouring the controversy of rape culture, in declaring the victim of this crime as the aggressor by ruining these two young mens lives. That is horrible journalism if I ever saw it.

There is a petition for anyone who wishes to sign to try and hold CNN accountable for it's horrid journalism found here:

https://www.change.org/petitions/cnn-apologize-on-air-for-sympathizing-with-the-steubenville-rapists?utm_campaign=share_button_action_box&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

Now I will start to talk about the reactions to this. Almost immediately after the verdict was handed to these two young men, the twitter and facebook feeds became overwhelmed with opinions from all over. Some of which were in support of the two young men, idolizing them, and sympathizing with them over their commited crime. As these two articles are linked below, (yes one is from CNN), two women related to the families of the aggressors were arrested for threats of bodily harm and murder towards the victim of this crime.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_bn1#/video/bestoftv/2013/03/19/ac-harlow-steubenville-mother-statement.cnn

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/03/19/wrd-ohio-girls-charged-threat-rape-victim.html

This only goes to remind me of the entire cyber bully issue that lead to the death of the teen girl who took her life after being bullied at school and online. There is a large lack of accountability in our modern world for the actions of younger members of our society who believe that it is acceptable to go online and threaten people because they see themselves as untouchable.

To weigh in on my opinion for this, I do not think that the aggressors of this crime were punished enough. These atheletes got off rather easy, and the witnesses of the crime have yet to be punished for their involvement in this crime. There are several pictures that were circulated, and there are clearly other people besides the aggressors in the pictures, not to mention the people who took the pictures.

But with all that said, I do believe that the victim has some responsibility as well in the act of the crime. I know this will be very controversal as I say it, but in my personal life as I was growing up. Every single person was held accountable for their actions, even in the bad situation that resulted towards a victim, even if that victim was you. Allow me to elaborate on this more, the victim of this crime made a concious decision to join a party and made a concious decision to drink beyond the limit to which she was capable. She has made poor decisions in this situation and should be held accountable for her actions. This does not mean being easy on the aggressors of the rape because that is not her fault.

I do not see how anyone is blameless in this form of crime. If the victim was attacked on the street for instance, that would be a situation where the victim is blameless. I do not go to parties and I do not overly drink because I am accountable for any bad decisions that I make while intoxicated.

Opinions?
This crime has scary, when you look at the Victims testimony she says how she went out and then woke up with no recollection of what happened because she was drugged. It was only a few days later that she started to figure out what happened because her friends were showing her the pictures. The boys were tweeting about it, and posted videos they obviously knew what they were doing and the rape was totally planed. It wasn't a heat of the moment she said no he said yes situation (witch are also awful) but the girl was drugged and brought from party to party and raped. It's disgusting and these boys should have been charged as adults. No one should be sympolthising with them. They don't need to be punished per say by the media any more then they have been but for fucks sake they are not the victims here.

As for there family members who were cyber bulling this girl, I hope they get help. I don't think its easy to accept that someone your close to did such an awful thing but there are ways of dealing with it without tormenting the victim any more and I'm glad at least one wad admitted.
I don’t normally post in SD, but this is a sensitive subject to me.

Rape is Rape no matter how you put it. If someone’s judgment is impaired and you can clearly see that is the case, then no one should take the consent of the drunken person to partake in such events. Those boys took advantage and no one should feel sympathy for them. As a victim of assault, I wish they would have gotten more time, but more than that I wonder what lead them to do this. It isn’t just about sex; it was about power and humiliation to this girl that they freely took the time to document. They got an easy sentence, too weak compared to what they should have gotten. It was only a few years at a juvi correction facility I believe right? This girl will have her whole life remembering that incident.

CNN’s coverage on the matter was horribly done and they deserve the hate they are getting. I could care less if those boys lives are ruined over some “alleged” attack on a girl. There is proof of what happened, no one ruined their lives but themselves. The case shouldn’t have been about anyone but the victim and her justice, that is how it should be, but instead most of the people would like to show how sorrowful the men are as they cry.
There is no "justice" for someone who was wronged. Whether it's rape, murder or theft. The violator already perpetuated the crime, has already taken something, etc. "Justice", is a feel good word designed to do exactly that: Make us feel better.

I don't think there's a "rape culture". For such a culture to exist, rape wouldn't be a crime to begin with. In other words, the teenagers wouldn't have been accused of and then convicted of a "crime". They wouldn't be registered as sex offenders.

For it to be a culture, it would be celebrated, talked about, etc. Here's the definition of Culture:

http://www.tamu.edu/faculty/choudhury/culture.html

"A culture is a way of life of a group of people--the behaviors, beliefs, values, and symbols that they accept, generally without thinking about them, and that are passed along by communication and imitation from one generation to the next."

Yes, that so totally describes rape and how it's perceived in North America....Not.

What people dislike isn't a "culture" that doesn't exist. If a culture does exist, it's one that takes away responsibility. The culture of self apathy, self loathing and self disregard has manifested in the U.S.

Yes, this applies much the same to the attackers, as to the "victim"(of her own stupidity). What the hell is she doin late out at night, underaged and drinking?

No, she wasn't responsible for her assailant's evil decisions. But she was responsible for her own personal safety, a lesson she unfortunately learned the hard way.

A lesson, we should all care to learn: Our greatest ally is ourselves. Even our family, closest friends and lovers are our important allies because they think of US in mind. You might think in the ideal world, that you should be able to trust "every stranger."

But that "stranger" is a human being with his/her own sense of individuality, why should that person enter you into their life? Even among those who are "popular", the "popular" person is so, because the majority of the people lacked individuality.

And if you weren't a individual that could easily be accepted(IE: You weren't a suit(personality) easily worn), you wouldn't be popular. To be popular is to be used, abused and discarded.

Like this woman tragically was.
I'm not surprised, this is Ohio, the state that follows and share in Fox's opinions and views right? The one's who blame women for being in the army when they're raped, as though rape is an unavoidable, unpreventable, and uncontrollable constant in all men that becomes greater during times of strife. That it is the woman's fault for being a woman when a man's "rapist side" becomes unmanageable.

That women belong, separated, behind a man, protected and silenced, that men have an inherit right greater than women. It all seems to stem off the idea that "this is just how men are" bs, "we men can't control our sexual drives"...

I watched a little of MSNBC talking about this, they were discussing how women, culturally, are deemed less than men. Some examples they used refereed to the mockery of being called a female, such as "you trow like a girl", belittling women to a position of inferiority to men. As well, that it is women who have to be forbade/warned about going out at night, that why don't we say "don't rape anyone" to men as well (why are women taken to the side for this, as if it's hopeless to change this in men).
Once, talking to my own mother, she stated (while watching news), "If a man rapes a woman who's tempting (fooling around with) him, he's wrong, but the woman shouldn't be surprised"... Why should she expect rape? Why shouldn't men be able to control themselves? I find it incredibly easy.

These guy's were fully aware of exactly what they were doing, the reason to trial children separately is under the pretext that the children can not cope the gravity of their crimes. This is all just bias bs.

Of course the girl as well is not guilt free, she should have been more responsibly than to associate with those kind of people.

As for CNN... It's CNN... They've been in a downward spiral for a decade(?) now, selling quality for money.
LustfulAngel wrote...
I don't think there's a "rape culture". For such a culture to exist, rape wouldn't be a crime to begin with. In other words, the teenagers wouldn't have been accused of and then convicted of a "crime". They wouldn't be registered as sex offenders.

That's a matter of opinion in some ways, just look at the reaction to the verdict. The town to which these people came from are defending the actions of these individuals who commited the rape as if they did not do anything wrong, and the way that CNN reported on the event made it seem as if the victim of the rape was the aggressor commiting a wrong against these two young athletes. The amount of hate mail towards the victim only proves that there is an issue of rape culture, or something therein akin to it.

If you say that these two people are having their lives ruined because of it, what you are essentially saying is that they are unjustly being convicted. That is saying that they are innocent, that the crime never took place. I don't see how that is not rape culture.
idmb22 Input Gold Rank Here
I don't sympathize with the boys, but neither with the girl.

Since I don't know the whole history (only what media says), but since it has been said she is already 16, I highly doubt she was not aware of what was happening that night (prior to getting drunk or drugged) or what was going to happen (or might happen that night) when she decided to go with them. I mean, people are not that stupid, are they?

So, basicaly, as someone has said before me, it is a Win-Win scenario, but in a bad way. Both boys ruined their lifes, but so do the girl.

The fun fact here is that probably the girl didn't expect to be "on the internet", so she decided to go for "the party", and the boys didn't expect the girl will denounce them.

In my opinion, both parties got what they deserved. You reap what you sow. (Yeah I could have made a joke with "reap" and "rape", but I didn't think it was worth, since this is SD and not IB).

Regarding the "e-bully" over the internet. I don't think it has an easy solution, basicaly because you would need to control everything everyone says... and that is pretty much impossible, let alone the "privacy" topic of individual beings. So, bully over the internet will continue to exist as the bully IRL still exists nowadays (and worse ways than before).
Here's what i think

The two boys should get RAPIST branded on their forehead (Inglorious Basterds style) and the girl should get a permanent restraining order against them and their families.
What is this nonsense, coddling acknowledged rapists. Just because you're in high school does not mean you do not know what you are doing. Unless the Ohio education system is so backwards that they don't know that drugging and raping a girl is bad. Which in that case they better fix it quick.
They ruined their own lives, and people are criticizing tge victim? For shame.

Also, what is this bullshit people are spouting tgat she should have been more careful. People go to parties all the time and don't get raped, it takes a very special type of person to commit rape. She shouldn't need to be careful not to get raped in the first place.
Cruz Dope Stone Lion
yummines wrote...

Also, what is this bullshit people are spouting that she should have been more careful. People go to parties all the time and don't get raped, it takes a very special type of person to commit rape. She shouldn't need to be careful not to get raped in the first place.

I don't think it's monstrous to tell people to be more cautious about the people you hang out and objects around you. I don't think it's safe to live your life under constant fear of being sexually assaulted(or assaulted in general), but it doesn't hurt to take certain precautions.

Almost half of all reported rapes, both people were intoxicated before and after the act took place.

As you said it takes a very "special"(not foreign at all though) to commit this crime, telling all men that they should not rape is insulting and silly since most men don't rape and would not rape even if for some crazy reason it became legal. The best we can do is try to make an environment where it's extremely difficult for criminals to get away with doing something, or making it something not worthy because of the punishment(which we already). Accusations of serious criminality, especially murder and sexual wrongdoing, too often are their own convictions in the high court of public opinion because the stigma is so severe.
idmb22 Input Gold Rank Here
yummines wrote...

Also, what is this bullshit people are spouting tgat she should have been more careful. People go to parties all the time and don't get raped, it takes a very special type of person to commit rape. She shouldn't need to be careful not to get raped in the first place.

You have to be careful even when you go to your normal store to buy things. This does not mean you have to be paranoic or anything like that, but if you are too carefree you will find yourself in really bad situations. When you go back to your home and it is dark, you will be careful, won't you?

I am also not saying that you can't trust people, but it is like when you go for a job, don't trust other participants or the interviewers. If you do, then you might get catch off guard and have a bad experience (it happened to me and it was awful because I was completely naive).
robo1289 wrote...
rapists ought to get their dicks chopped off to make the message sink in

Threatening to chop someone's dick off is a draconian and barbaric non-solution to a problem. Studies about capital punishment revealed that even the threat of death isn't much of a deterrent for illegal behavior. A woman caught prostituting herself in Iran is punished with death. I don't mean there is a possibility of death but, that death IS the sentence for adultery.

So, if the threat of death isn't enough of a deterrent, how is chopping someone's dick off supposed to be? By the way, your "solution" is akin to the practice of female genital mutilation which is considered a violation of human rights.

Please do us all a favor and rethink your position.
The reporting of on this incident was awful. All the emphasis seemed to be on how the men will be affected...not the actual victim
theotherjacob wrote...
LustfulAngel wrote...

That's a matter of opinion in some ways, just look at the reaction to the verdict. The town to which these people came from are defending the actions of these individuals who commited the rape as if they did not do anything wrong, and the way that CNN reported on the event made it seem as if the victim of the rape was the aggressor commiting a wrong against these two young athletes. The amount of hate mail towards the victim only proves that there is an issue of rape culture, or something therein akin to it.

If you say that these two people are having their lives ruined because of it, what you are essentially saying is that they are unjustly being convicted. That is saying that they are innocent, that the crime never took place. I don't see how that is not rape culture.

I can't believe I gave you the definition of culture and you still couldn't comprehend it. If there were such a thing as a "rape culture", it would be allowed, accepted and it wouldn't even be insofar as on the news. The reactions you see, are not justifying rape.

But rather, the reactions you see are one of self pity, guilt, imagining what if it were their child on trial. And the understanding that the concept of a 'victim' is a very outdated concept.

If she's a victim, she's one of her own stupidity. Her own choices. You might want to say she shouldn't be a victim of her own choices, but that defies the very idea of responsibility. Which, leads us to the backwards world of today.

A 'rape culture', no. A lack of responsibility culture. Which stems to the lack of school attendance, the lack of stability in parental homes and so forth and on it goes.

If parents avoid their responsibilities, what will kids do? And if those kids(who become adults) avoid responsibilities, what do you think will be the outcome of the next generation?

Both the aggressor and the victim made terrible decisions, resulting in what took place. And they wouldn't have been in the position in the first place if our society still valued responsibility.

Stop talking about a 'rape culture' that doesn't exist. When you say the words 'rape culture', you propose a reason to be a victim. And you ultimately ignore the real problem.

Its a parental problem, its a teaching problem as well(how many resources are devoted to social skills? I doubt many, if any. Since people arrogantly think if they're "normal" they don't need said classes.)

And damn straight, its a social media problem. A lack of responsibility, deflecting blame onto others. THIS is the culture that has allowed the perpetuation of crime and the lines between guilty and innocent to be blurred. They are blurred because the guilty deflect their crimes on the innocent.

And the innocent in this case, has the potential to become nothing but a waste in her life(tragic), blaming what happened for her own future struggles(I hope that doesn't occur).

But it can occur, because that's what a society that lacks of self responsibility does. It perpetuates a constant cycle of victimhood. So, will you break the cycle or will you still somehow define 'rape' as a culture, even though you can't prove that this country or even a bloc of people anywhere celebrate the concept of rape yet alone the rapist.

I'll help you where you could find such a thing: Amongst a bunch of rapists.

Yeah, some culture. It's a real, REAL small one.
Cruz Dope Stone Lion
Black Jesus JC wrote...
The reporting of on this incident was awful. All the emphasis seemed to be on how the men will be affected...not the actual victim

I'm guessing she doesn't want to talk unless she absolutely has to.

I don't know if there's much to talk about in her case without being disrespectful.

I think people are in denial about rape nobody believes it and the police ignore any thing unless there is a shit load of evidence some times even if the rapist admits it they're unlikely to get charged unless there is news coverage but on the plus side the police turn a blind eye to them getting the shit kicked out of them.
Cruz Dope Stone Lion
robo1289 wrote...
what punishment would be more fitting then if a man lost something a man part of self?

That's not reasonable at all.

robo1289 wrote...

or would the idea of forcing them into a sex change be better so that they could have a small chance of experiencing what they did

Females aren't the only ones who experience rape. Not to mention it's not reasonable at all.

robo1289 wrote...

yes both of those do sound terrible but nevertheless these "children"

Whether you want to trial them as adults is irrelevant. The justice system already doesn't give out equal punishment for the same crimes depending on many factors.

robo1289 wrote...

When have you heard of a woman committing rape when its not in a "teacher-student" stagetory but consensual but the age of consent deems that until the age of 18 can one consent?

It usually never gets reported.

robo1289 wrote...

And i said ought to not should meaning that i do believe everyone deserves to human rights so if i had said should then something would be.

Yet you propose we do inhuman things to people who do wrong. I find the actions of these "children" deplorable but I'm not going to ask we do deplorable things to them in return. Let them serve punishment and hopefully with time they will reform.

Also work spell/grammar check your post next time. Please.
LustfulAngel wrote...
I can't believe I gave you the definition of culture and you still couldn't comprehend it. If there were such a thing as a "rape culture", it would be allowed, accepted and it wouldn't even be insofar as on the news. The reactions you see, are not justifying rape.

Rape culture is a concept used to describe a culture in which rape and sexual violence are common and in which prevalent attitudes, norms, practices, and media normalize, excuse, tolerate, or even condone rape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_culture

When you talk about the two people who commited rape as having their lives ruined by such an unfortunate event as CNN did, what is that but tolerating and excusing the crime that they commited. They are by definition saying that this crime was not a crime and downplaying the event. That is the definition of rape culture.
robo1289 wrote...
would be more fitting then if a man lost something a man part of self?or would the idea of forcing them into a sex change be better so that they could have a small chance of experiencing what they did to their victim in prison?

You probably think the rapist just gets so goddamn horny they can't contain themselves. So they stalk some precious young girl and force themselves on her. Pin her down while they forcibly insert their penis,fuck her until they are through and then leave her somewhere.

There is no single theory that conclusively explains the motivation for rape; the motives of rapists can be multi-factorial and are the subject of debate. Researchers have attempted to explain the motivation of a rapist in terms of socioeconomics, anger, power, sadism, sexual pleasure, psychopathy, ethical standards, attitudes toward women and evolutionary pressures.

Rape isn't always about sex and rapists aren't always men. You're "Solutions" can really only affect men since as I said before female genital mutilation is consider a violation of basic human rights while forcing someone to become the opposite gender for the possibility that they'll get raped is just..stupid. There isn't another word for it, the idea is just stupid.

What if the victim rescinds their testimony and admits the "rape" was actually consensual sex? What if evidence comes to light later and exonerates the accused? How are to "fix" the person that society has mutilated or even forced to become transgender? Should we force women to become men if they are found guilty of rape?

I'm just amazed that in 2013 we still have people who believe we should follow Hammurabi law .
Ok,I get it bottomline I find rape totally deplorable/disgusting in RL,in hentai not so much.
theotherjacob wrote...
LustfulAngel wrote...

Rape culture is a concept used to describe a culture in which rape and sexual violence are common and in which prevalent attitudes, norms, practices, and media normalize, excuse, tolerate, or even condone rape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_culture

When you talk about the two people who commited rape as having their lives ruined by such an unfortunate event as CNN did, what is that but tolerating and excusing the crime that they commited. They are by definition saying that this crime was not a crime and downplaying the event. That is the definition of rape culture.

Unbelievable,you somehow described what culture is and still couldn't understand it. Shall I highlight some words for you:

common prevalent normalize tolerate condone

I'm going to give you the definition of each and every word and BY GOD hopefully you can read.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/common

Common: "a. Occurring frequently or habitually; usual."

In other words, a 'Rape Culture' would be in which rape is perpetuated on a consistent basis. Wanna know what we call those? A war zone! Such as the Rape of Nanking in WW2. Or in Sub Africa. Civilized nations do not have such a frequent rape occurrence.

Prevalent: "in general use or acceptance." http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Prevalent

This coincides with Common, but with a distinct difference. This is terminology that describes the sheep following the Shepherd. And so, let me ask you: Is there a Pro-rape group. In other words, a group that advocates or condones rape?

Furthermore, does said group garner political support, advocacy and any political power at all?

I'm just going to go out on the strongest limb ever and say 'no' :D.

Now, Normalize:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/normalize

" To make normal, especially to cause to conform to a standard or norm."

Let me give you a descriptive example: The Civil Rights legislation normalized equality among all people regardless of age, sexual or racial differences.

Has there been any actions, legal or otherwise that has normalized rape? Rape is 'normal' to the extent that it's one of the more frequent crimes. But it is not normalized or tolerated in society. Or, if one were to make the argument that it is normalized, then it would be at the hands of females who sometimes openly and not so openly admit to their rape fetish.

But as far as Western society in general, rape is not condoned by law. One can argue we don't persecute hard enough, this is partly due to the statue of limitations, as well as the difference in damage.

When a murder or a theft occurs, or even when assault or battery occurs, there's very visible damage. The psychological damage of rape is significant, I'm not minimizing it. But before the visible eyes, with which we humans judge its often hard to recognize that fact.

Hence, its more serial rapists who get significant charges(such as Sandusky.)

Here's the definition of Tolerate:
"To allow without prohibiting or opposing"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Tolerate

More and more, as we dissect what a culture is, I'm finding that we don't have a "rape culture." If the actions of those men were tolerated, they wouldn't have been charged or convicted. They wouldn't have even so far as saw one police officer.

Some will say that they were tolerated due to the lesser sentencing. But the fact remains that they will be incarcerated and they will be labeled sex offenders for the rest of their lives. They were sentenced, but they weren't prosecuted.

What they did was wrong and were punished for it, but did they deserve to be literally lynched and mobbed over? Justice isn't about lynching, or at least that's Western concepts. But rather, a sentence that fits the crime.(And even then, I'd argue there is no 'sentence' that truly ever fits a crime.)

CNN didn't tolerate their actions by mentioning what the consequences of their action would mean to them. They sympathized with them.

Sympathy: To feel or express compassion, as for another's suffering.

Sympathy isn't the same as forgiveness, but it is synonymous with another word: Understanding.

And just because the suffering came from their own actions doesn't mean you can't feel sympathy for them. A family was torn apart, no one won in this case here. The tragic stories should be heard by all.

And here's Condone, just to give you a full understanding:

Condone: To overlook, forgive, or disregard (an offense) without protest or censure.

In other words, if your fantasy of a 'rape culture' were reality these men wouldn't have been convicted. They would've been found not guilty. Or even better yet, the criminal's family actually pleaded for a lenient sentence.

If their actions were condoned, either the judge or the victim's family would have consented.

Alas, they didn't. There. Is. No. Such. Thing. As. A. "Rape Culture".
Pages 1234Next