Bought a PS3

So I walked into EB games to put my pre-order in for Battlefield 4 and decided to buy a PS3 (500 GB, new) on impulse with three games, Blazblue Continuum Shift, Ni no Kuni and Atelier Ayesha. It also came with Infamous 2 and GTR 5. I was planning to buy Tales of Xillia but they were out of stock, it was a crushing experience.

That being said I need some recommendations, I've been missing out on all the good JRPGs and action adventure games for quite some time and haven't been keeping up on what's good.
Star Ocean 4, Valkyria Chronicles.
Hyperdimension Neptunia series, FF13, Valkyria Chronicles, ar tonelico 3

If your not looking for JRPG.. tried Last of Us... mind blowing game
Right now, I would say go for Dragon's Crown.

If you love 2D beat 'em ups combined with rpg elements then this is the game for you.

It's four player co-op, online and offline, you can't beat that.
Take up the challenge of Demon's Souls.
monpekokero wrote...

This.

Don't miss out on Valkyria Chronicles. Bioshock Infinite is an amazing experience IMO (if you haven't already played it elsewhere). Heavy Rain is an unique game worth playing. And of course, do not forget Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Also if you end up liking Atelier Ayesha, consider picking up the first three games: Rorona, Totori and Meruru.
I'll throw NieR in there ._.
"Nier" = <3, Ar tonelico, Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4 (mnight aswell but the Metal gear Solid collection coming out soon If its not already out. The Last of us. Armored Core Series (if you like robots and customization), Journey (psn title)
Hyper Dimension Neptunia, Record of Agarest war White Knight Chronicles, Killzone 2 and 3, Heavy Rain, Demon Souls
monpekokero wrote...

Dark Souls is a good choice as well, if youre up to it.

If you like tactical JRPGS Valkryia Chronicles is a no brainier
Get Playstation Plus, if you plan on spending a lot of time on your ps3.

There's tons of free games there, including Borderlands, Demon's Souls, and Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

Also, get The Last of Us
You know the drill, uncharted 1,2, and 3.
I'm looking to get Star Ocean The Last Hope International.

it's long an longish cutscenes
Though it's not a JRPG or an adventure game, I still think Catherine is worth noting. I also really liked Dead Space.
all uncharted games, valkyria chronicles, and last of us
artcellrox The Grey Knight :y
Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted series, Team ICO Collection, God of War Collection, Catherine, Zone of the Enders HD Collection, Mortal Kombat, and Metal Gear Rising.

Once you get a PSN account and some cash on it, get Okami HD, God Hand, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Castlevania: Harmony of Despair and Outland.
[size=29]METAL GEAR SOLID 4[/h]
JRPG, I'd recommend... (bias, weeding out a lot of things based on my semi high standards in one manner or another.)

-Disgaea 4, been awhile since NIS got me to feel for their characters. Very funny story with an interesting cast that can stand up to the first (Which is my favorite jrpg/strategy game).

-Tales of Xillia, has a really good battle system, I've gotten a little bored of the story and stopped (I have to go back) but the story is pretty good (been awhile since I had this much fun in a tales game (Phantasia story randomly dropped so many times I kept getting bored and I hated Legendia overall (the last 2 I played)).

-Tales of Graces F, exist, but I know nothing of this game... but it's stays at 40-45 dollars (released before Xillia, and on gamestops website is selling for 8 dollars more than Xillia).

-Tales of Symphonia, my favorite Tales game (and in my top ranks for overall favorite game) has been ported to ps3.

-Final Fantasy 10, has been ported too. If you missed your chance to play/own it and don't mind buying 10-2 along with it. It's unfortunately worth the purchase though >_> (for me) I never owned a copy of 10...

-Persona 4 Arena, (if you played persona 3 or 4 it's continuation of more story might interest you).

-Catherine, not quite a rpg it's more of a puzzle/visual novel, but it's quite fun.

-Demon Souls, I'd say with the improvements made in Dark Souls it's kind of pointless to bother with Demon Souls (Yes I am still pissed about the twin gargoyles and 5-1, those were so frustrating), but there are rumors of a Demon Souls 2, so it may be necessary depending on how much story they will pull from predecessors.

-Valkyrie Profile, is worth checking out, it was a new and interesting battle system for me that was quite fun (there were a lot of things I would have preferred changed or improved on, so I always wondered about the sequels). Story was so-so to me.

-Star Ocean: Last Hope, just felt like they were trying to recreate Till the End of Time (Which I idolize for it's design) with a more complicated battle system, I didn't like it, but I also didn't get very far, so it's fair to say that I really didn't get to the fun parts. To me though it's just another of Square's.. "meh".

-Nino Kuni, I hear a lot of good things of it. missed that in op's post.

-White Knight Chronicles, is supposed to be worth it, haven't played yet but was told to buy the HD collection of 1 and 2, that 1 was badly designed (in a way I forgot) and that they redesign it in the hd version.

-Mugen Souls, if you can find it, it looks interesting. I don't expect much from the story, but the heavy grinding and character creation/customizations interest me(if your into that and chibi(ish) characters) never played it though so I don't know of it's quality.

-Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, I still have to beat 2 but I didn't know this was for ps3... I have to play it sometime.

-Final Fantasy 6, too... I'll have to stick to emulator for now.

-Eternal Sonata, though I never played it, it seemed to do decently. Never heard it praised but never heard it bashed.

-Odin Sphere, was ported too... I can finally play it! (I don't know if it's any good, it was just one of the jrpg's from the ps2 era that I was never able to buy.)

-La Pucelle: Tatics, was also ported for ps3 (2nd favorite jrpg/strategy game).

-Xenogears, I have to play this one too... emulator for the time being though...

-Parasite eve 1 & 2...

-Chrono Trigger...

-Breath of Fire 4...

-Legend of Mana...

-Grandia, (always wanted to try the first).

Note to self: so many ports I have to play...

-GrimGrimore, while the story was nothing really strong, it was a really fun rts/rpg, when you summon a dragon you felt like a boss and when you summoned 4.... you start laughing maniacally. It's cool they ported this, though I already have my copy.

I'll leave action games for other people since my list is too long and I'm still in the process of acquiring more of them for ps3.
On PS3 I think you covered it. Although Xillia imo simply lacks what makes a tales game a tales game in terms of extra content. You think that with the game taking so long to get localized that they would at least add the basic tales game subquests but really it is just the devil's arms one. I wouldn't put any time into any of the tales games on PS3 though, I became a fan of the tales series back in symphonia on the gamecube and the series has really gone downhill for the most part after Abyss. If you haven't played either of those I highly suggest you do (abyss is on 3DS). However tales of Symphonia 2 is straight up bad. Graces F could have been better and definitely wasn't even close to being that good for me. Xillia is the 3rd best tales game but...way behind symphonia and abyss. And I do not make any judgement either way on Vesperia because of the west getting the watered down and incomplete version of the game. A more complete version was released in Japan only.

Valkyria chronicles isn't really a JRPG but more of a strategy game but definitely worth a play. Second game was an absolute disappointment for me though.

Dark Souls...is a weird sense of difficulty for me. It is more about trial and error and it isn't too punishing to die as you just need to make it back to your souls and pick them up. And because you know how to get through all the parts until where you dropped your souls it essentially makes the game more about figuring out how to kill the boss(which some bosses have specific ways to do lots of damage making it difficult until you figure out that way.)

ICO series (Shadow of the Colossus/ICO)...uh Catherine...and I guess Devil May Cry 4, although honestly just get DMC3. Uncharted is a decent series but I suggest you just get them used, they are good games but like many of Naughty Dog's stuff I feel that they get overhyped a bit easy. Uncharted 1 was an 8.5, Uncharted 2 was a 9.5, Uncharted 3 was around 8.5. The Last of Us is one of the key offenders of being overhyped, a solid 8.5-9 game but it had its problems. The AI wasn't that great and the gameplay was more tense than "fun". If you like zombie games the game Left 4 Dead 2 is the best one. Maybe I just don't put a disproportionate amount of weight on having an emotional story as it can get bad like in Beyond Two Souls(quick time events all the time!) and in general as a fan of movies, I would rather watch a movie.

If you mean good action/rpg games in general I would say go get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS or Wii U. An amazingly fun game both solo and with friends/online people as the community is surprisingly nice. Each fight might be against the same monster but how the monster behaves is different every single time you fight them. The game has a huge sense of overall progression and self improvement that is very reminiscent of old games and I would highly recommend it as it is the hands down best Action game I've played in a while. The games' difficulty can be different depending on how good you are/your gear. If you solo the online port I'd say it is fairly hard and unforgiving with only 3 deaths allowed, and downright brutal if you use a ranged weapon. When you play with friends it gets significantly easier for the regular monsters but then you have Elder Dragons which will wreck you regardless.

There is no "Best weapon type" all of them are good in different ways and even after playing the game for a couple hundred hours you can still come back and use a different weapon. Learning/using a different weapon really makes you feel like you are playing a different game which isn't a bad thing. All in all, the biggest thing in Monster Hunter is to figure out which weapon works best for you. Try out everything, the early game village quests allow you to step up the pace slowly.

Oh and go play The Last Story which is a nice title although it is a bit short for an RPG. The story and feel is very Final Fantasy Esque but that is probably because the creator for Final Fantasy worked on it, definitely a good RPG and I enjoyed that it wasn't crazy long so I could fit in play time to my schedule.

If you are for a more hardcore JRPG game you better have played Xenoblade Chronicles, if not you'll have a hard time finding a copy. Xenoblade is the best JRPG of the PS3/Xbox360/Wii Generation in my opinion due to not only its content but also because of the engaging and original story with a huge amounts of exploration and side quests to do. The game easily runs you over 100 hours for the main story and the sidequests only add to the fun.

You can use the classic controller for both of the games so if you don't happen to like the wii remote there is always that. I used it on most games that require traditional controls like Monster Hunter Tri or these JRPGs.

The only downside I can see to The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles is that the graphics are not absolutely amazing but they are by no means bad either. I don't think any game should be marked down because of graphics, otherwise we would be considering games using 2D sprites as bad like super meatboy or The Binding of Issac.

If you reached here, thanks for reading my wall of text :P.
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
Batman: Arkham Origins

The best superhero games of this generation.