Making armour pieces/props?

Hey gang. Thinking of working on a Cosplay for the first time for a convention in July. Wanting to make Juggernaut from Dota 2 but I've no idea where to start and i've never tried my hand at this before. Tips/advice?

Picture of someone elses for ref: Forum Image: https://i.imgur.com/VMBip4I.jpg
Check out Kamui Cosplay. This chick has some amazing tutorials on armor and prop weapons.
Making armor can get pretty hard if you don't have access to the right tools and materials. I've been cosplaying for years and I still haven't had the guts (or finances) to try my hand at it. The best advice I can give would be to go on cosplay websites and seek help in the forums. A lot of cosplayers are really nice and willing to help out a fellow nerd in need. Once you have a basic outline of what you need to do you should experiment with lots of different materials and make small samples. The worst feeling in the world is when you've already made your costume, but the paint or dye that you picked out doesn't stick to the base material. I've done that more than once and it's always embarrassing when I realize I could have avoided that situation entirely by practicing. The best way to get better is to practice and talk to other people. Be sure to start early too! You don't want to end up rushing yourself in the end, pacing is key.

I wish I could offer more technical advice, but my specialty is more in manipulating fabrics than constructing armor. If you ever have fabric questions you can always ask me. I almost forgot! Depending on the con you're going to there might be a section on cosplay guidlines and such, be sure to give that a look over as well.
The Migrating Coconut wrote...
Check out Kamui Cosplay. This chick has some amazing tutorials on armor and prop weapons.

She also has a book you can get online for armor crafting! She is amazing, you can learn a lot from her.