What should be the rationale for liking somebody?

Title says it all, basically. Let's ignore that love in first sight stuff, and discuss how one should determine the criteria when one chooses to like somebody.

Realistically, should appearance matter at all?
How much does personality come into it?
How much does intelligence matter?

Commentators are obviously free to add things apart from appearance, personality and intelligence.
artcellrox The Grey Knight :y
Appearance: As petty as it sounds, quite a bit. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ultimately, what one finds attractive, another may not. However, if I can't really see myself physically attracted to someone enough to want to be sexually intimate with them, trying to pursue something romantic is gonna be trickier. This sounds harsh, but let's face it. Couples have problems stemming from sexual frustration a lot of times. It does matter.

Personality: Biggest factor for me. I like nice, fun, and forward typically but slightly shy and awkward when it's alone time with me (so slight tsundere I guess). Quiet is nice too. I don't really have much of problem when it comes to judging by personality, I'll even take just a tad bit eccentric and crazy. Bitchy and liars, however, are a no-go for me.

Intelligence: Second most important for me. Simply put, as long as we have lots of different things to talk about, and it's not all just about mainstream pop culture (yes, I'm a fucking hipster, so sue me), I'm good.
DatYuriThough Goddess of Nature
Each to their own is equally important when trying to find a partner. There's no problem thinking that looks should determine whether or not you date someone (same with intelligence and personality) you just shouldn't focus on one more than the other. For example focusing one someone being insanely hot and that alone is stupid, that relationship won't last at all. Neither will one based solely on intelligence since if you can't be physically attracted to that person then both of you will quickly fall out of interest with one-another (unless you're both A-sexual). And the same can apply to personality, both of you can have bright and cheery personalities but find them stupid and in no way sexually attractive and that relationship won't last either.

You have to find the right balance with someone, they don't have to be super attractive, the nicest person in the world or the smartest person ever. You've got to be realistic in that sense and chose based on a combination of those things.

For me personally I need someone really attractive and with a nice personality. Intelligence doesn't matter so much so long as they aren't stupid, I'm pretty average so I'd put expectations around there or there about. I focus on them all and even let one have more dominance over the other but I consider all three before I even consider a relationship with someone.
Misaki_Chi Fakku Nurse
Love is basically being affectionate towards someone; you feel attached to them and they give you something that other's can't do. Usually when people feel "love at first site" it's more of a lust or attraction rather then love, though you can feel affection/attached to someone you don't know. It's just easier to break it off since true affection comes from developing a relationship over time.

drunkBrain wrote...
Realistically, should appearance matter at all?
How much does personality come into it?
How much does intelligence matter?

All of this really just depends on you. Everyone has different "criteria" that they need from someone they will to be affectionate with. It's not wrong to want certain things from someone that another person may not want, it's just being individualistic in your desires.

Spoiler:
With appearance basically beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people are less judgmental with looks while other's have a list of features they want in there partner. The biggest thing with appearance is it's okay to have standards for yourself, but don't become so nit picky that you miss out on someone who could really relate to you.

I know when I judge on appearance, I more or less am looking for someone who is able to care for themselves and has self value. I don't want to date a slob or someone who isn't open to changing themselves (meaning if I think a shirt would look nice on my partner I don't want the 3rd degree that I'm "changing them" into something they're not, I would rather they talk to me about it and be open to my ideas). I look for someone with a nice smile and isn't afraid to smile. I also prefer taller men and like them older.

I've also had other more specific things in mind for my "ideal man", but that is all that is, an ideal. I make reasonable standards for myself and when I meet men I see if they meet those standards. The more vital ones I keep the others I can change if it's the right person.

Spoiler:
Personality is a pretty good quality to keep in mind when looking for a partner. Personality is the accumulation of qualities that makes up a person so you'll have to judge how you are able to interact with another's qualities against your own. For myself personally I find personality to be high on my priority list for people since it takes two to tango. I have little tolerance for assholes, narcissist, immaturity, rude behavior, etc. Some people may not find personality as important next to other things, but honestly it just depends on the person and your tolerance level. I know if someone is a jerk to me I just cut ties or retaliate, but others can deal with such personalities easier and can look past it.

Spoiler:
Intelligence in a partner just depends on the person. Some people don't care about intelligence while other's feel it's important to be on a more even keel. I know for myself I prefer someone around my level since I enjoy stimulating in-depth conversations. I don't need them to be Einstein, but I've dated some muscle heads (all brawn, no brains) and even if they have gorgeous looks, no brain means no conversation means I get bored.

Again, everyone is different with intelligence, some people see other wonderful qualities that surpass the desire for intelligence while others need conversation.

tl;dr - what you need out of someone to like them really just depends on the person. Some people need to have certain requirements met to be affectionate with someone while other's don't need much. Some need time to develop a good connection while others are able to sustain themselves on "at first site" emotions. The biggest thing anyone needs to do to be able to like someone is to be willing to open themselves up to others. You don't have to be an open book and put your heart on the line, but you also can't clam up and hide away from the world. So if there is any requirement for liking a person I'd say that you would have to be willing to give people a chance (at the very least the idea of it happening).
My opinion, of course.

Ignoring light relationships. Note: They aren't bad, it's just I can't talk too much about them as I had them just for one year. First impression is highly important on quick sex or short-during couples, so appearance prioritize a lot, personality matter in the sense of not killing the mood and getting extra points of erotic and intelligence, well, you need some straightforward answers to make work those things.

"Love Criteria", or in other words "a list of inherent things someone must accomplish to ever considerate them seriously", is more about you and your ego than anything else. Of course we all feel attracted to others for different reasons, but quantifying it is often useless as the quantifications will always run way below the reality, and limiting yourself to certain criteria is often a bad idea as you can even lose the opportunity of your life. Basically you should let things fluid naturally rather than think too much about it.

Now that comes about attraction. Love is a completely different thing. A solid and true love is the mutual deep affection, trust and confidence and time dedicated of both sides. You can have it with anyone, family, friends, mascots and so. To develop love it's required time and that both sides open to each other in a natural way. A couple needs both, attraction and love, but they are different things as well.

Appearance: Matters depending how needed you're of good sex.

Spoiler:
Itself it doesn't matter, what matters is the sexual compatibility, and appearance plays a role on that, but is far from being the unique point. I have a quite clear position on this: it has a lot to do with sexual need.

For some, that need doesn't exist or is minimal and we call them asexual.

For others, that need exist, but can be easily supplied with masturbation. (Me).

For a lot, that need requires help of other in name of occasional assisted masturbation (touches, kisses, roleplaying and sharing some erotism and little more).

For a whole, that need requires the help of good sex from time at time.

For a few, that need requires from constant and varied hot sex.

The sexual need is often stronger in the 14-28 ages range and importantly weaker in the 40+ age range. Also, even with the most sexual compatible partner ever, the quality of hot sex with that same partner will importantly reduce as both becomes too used to it, often dying out on a decade or two. For long lasting relationships, it's important that both persons are compatible enough sexual wise to sustain the sexual needs of the other, whatever degree those needs are.

Sexual need can be increased if you work properly the erotic ideas. Sexual need can also be decreased, specially at the higher level, if you get a hobby or you just make your life more varied, so others needs push that one down. It's often a good idea to make an effort to reduce or increase a bit your need to sync with the needs of your partner, but it isn't magical or perfect.

What happens when the sexual need of one is not supplied for a time? Anxiety, stress, discontent and often a loss of attraction and attachment. Those things alone shouldn't destroy a solid and true relationship, as the bond should have been formed already, but can make really hard to form the bond in the first place.

So, yes, appearance matter but only it's effects on the sexual drive. Appearance aside that shouldn't matter, but people is egocentric and likes to think they deserve a bishonen/bishojo more for the fantasy about it than anything.

In my personal case I've been with one ugly gal, one meh gal, one beauty gal and one hot gal. With the ugly we had actually good sex as things did fluid delicious all in all, with the meh it was really hot, with the beauty it was boring (despite she was really beauty, but... ugh, not compatible) and with the hot, well, extremely hot and delicious, ❤. In any case, my sexual need isn't that high, so I can date asexuals (guys or gals) and though I only like girls, I would date guys if they don't expect me to be horny about them (I w-w-would even assist them a bit, *blush*, but not with passion).

Oh, in any case, sexual need would be how much you require to feel satisfied and happy. Sexual drive is kinda different as you can go beyond what's needed without trouble, but you can date fine people indifferently that as long the need of both are already supplied. Take it as extra fun~ ❤, but also consider there are a lot of other ways to get fun as well. Fun also helps to form a bond.

As a side note, sex works wonderful as an inmate and personal way to express yourself and understand the feelings of the other, but you don't need to be horny or hot to have sex, it's just it won' be that fun or passionate or helpful for your needs, but you can still share that contact and expand the bond.

Personality: Try to not outweigh too much first impressions and if you got charmed by someone, let it be.

Spoiler:
You can't quantify this. Of course if does matter a lot, but most people can't know for sure what they need on this as they are so many and complex personalities like stars in the universe. I think it's an extremely bad idea to look up for certain personalities and avoid others, you're just losing too much good chances in that way. If you feel interested and charmed by someone, let it be and that is all, and try to don't outweigh too much the first impression.

Intelligence: I prefer saying "that person is being fool" rather "that person is fool". Just avoid dangerous people.

Spoiler:
I don't believe we have persons that are smarter than others. I don't even think we're smarter than animals to start with, heck. I think it's more about how you expend your time thinking, and that gives us a world of variety and possibilities. Some will be better on maths than others, for example. I think it's extremely mean, elitist and superb to look down certain persons just because they don't think like you want they them think.

Now, there's a single point I'll grant here. Practical effects. For example a racist is a fool as they are hurting others, segregating themselves from a lot of awesome people and so. But maybe that racist is also a loving dove awesome person aside his/her racism, so it applies more about specific thoughts rather "that person is stupid", I prefer to say "that person is being stupid".

As for relationships comes, it's a bit delicate, but it's true you need to avoid persons whose their ideas can by dangerous or hurtful to yourself. The positive thing about ideas is they can be changed, but don't expect you can change how others persons thinks (so if you have a violent partner that's hurting you, don't expect he/she will change, never), because they most likely won't change unless it comes from themselves.

At the end I think it's a way more important how people interact with each-other and how dandy is the mood when sharing personal things, memories and so.

Note: Some ego (everyone had and it's fine) and picky is fine, hardly a negative thing. But most people looks for so many specific things that are overlooking for what isn't that important at all, that is someone who makes you happy and you make happy and both want to share time and life and that can be archived in so many ways you don't expect beforehand that lel.
it's all down to personal preference, beauty will always be a criteria even if that person isn't attractive to you others will think the opposite. Feeling an attraction for someone is something really primitive, you'll like whoever is more compatible to you in terms or look and personality in order to make better babies. So it changes from person to person
I... I'm... a bit unsure honestly via personal reasons but, Appearance too me is, you don't have too be the fittest, prettiest, model or whatever Just not obese and not hard too look at honestly..

Personality wise this could go either or.. I'd have too say don't fall into the terms of the general public or the stereotype as such, prep, geek, bitch, etc. You can be a bit of them but If that is what defines you as a person have too say no go for me. I suppose Shy-quiet yet with courage too speak up and have a opinion, too stand up is fine.

God Yes intelligence matters as long as you can keep a conversation going and have common sense etc.
Really doesn't the whole topic not really account for the whole concept of like to love? In theory you can like something or someone and not pursue a relationship. So in that sense personality and intelligence wouldn't matter. Like is more of a term uses to show an interest in someone.
blinkgirl211 wrote...
Really doesn't the whole topic not really account for the whole concept of like to love? In theory you can like something or someone and not pursue a relationship. So in that sense personality and intelligence wouldn't matter. Like is more of a term uses to show an interest in someone.

You make an excellent point. Attraction (sexual attraction, I mean) is usually the variable that separates friends from lovers. Friends usually like each other's personality--it's what you bond with, after all. I would say intelligence isn't as important in friendships as it is in relationships. In the latter you will likely be trusting your life or your child's life to that person, so they better know what they're doing.

The determining factor, in my eyes, is attractiveness. Not just the superficial aspect of attractiveness--good looks--but your desire to be with that person physically. Lovers are attracted to each other like magnets. Friends usually don't feel this strongly about each other, although there's always exceptions to the rule.

Love is a really complicated thing...
Love is simple.

TL;DR: Love is simple. What makes it complex is that people sucks.

TL;DR: Interacting with others humans is complex because average sucks and time is limited.

TL;DR: Love needs fluid share of time. To dedicate time to someone you need to take that person seriously. That time is always shared in different ways. The difference between family, friendships and couples is that the last requires from mild/important direct intimacy and everyday life sharing at the same time (you can have one with a friend, but not both at the same time without being a couple).

TL;DR: The ways the time is shared varies because a myriad of so complex reasons we can simplify in the fact that each person is different, so it's obvious we're gonna interact with each person in a different way. Some aspects can increase likelihood (I remark that word) of certain things, though. Sex appeal (appearance) increases physical intimacy likelihood. Romantic appeal (intelligence) increases intimacy likelihood. Easy to pass time with (personality) increases everyday life likelihood.

Note: Indirect is talking and related about, but not doing so with that person.

Spoiler:
You can give and receive love from a dog so easily. He won't betray you, he won't lie you, he won't leave you, he won't judge you. You can even be a bad person on this and the other, but he will most likely tolerate, respect and accept you anyway. He doesn't fear you if you approach to him with good intentions, because you can't lie him, he will read your movements and feelings as his empathy is amazing. He doesn't understand your judges, nor fear your betrayal after a time as he think you're as loyal as he is.

The problem is that humans betrays, humans lies, humans leaves you behind, humans judge you, humans plays with you whatever they wish, humans uses you, humans will prejudge you, humans will ignore you, humans will hurt you. Humans aren't good to tolerate, respect or try to accept others as we tend to be nit picky because our improved social skills allows so, so rather respecting people, we just segregate ourself from those we don't like and we just near to those who seem at first glance perfect. Because we follow people more by words than emotions and movement, our baseline empathy is highly lacking.

It isn't just a problem about evilness and egoism. Because the world works in that way, people has to learn to protect themselves from all that. You can't open all yourself to everyone because you'll get so badly hurt you'll want to suicide for example. This is where things really complex, because you need to successfully shield yourself from the evilness, while being empathic enough, while being respectful enough, while opening yourself enough, while doing all that in a natural and fluid way, as you can't force yourself.

Oh, yes. Love needs of affection, trust and sharing. While the love of the first two is the same for any type, things differs with the third. You may want to share your feelings, experiences, inmate tellings and so with a friend, while you may want to share that kiss, living together and so with that partner. There are a lot of classes of friendships, family and couples, but often, couples requires a desire to share your everyday life with the other along intimacy, directly (that doesn't necessary means solely sex).

You can also share your everyday life and intimacy with a friend, but as for intimacy comes, the difference goes between directly and indirectly. For example you can talk a friend about how you felt while you gave your virginity, that's indirectly sharing your intimacy, but you don't want to gave your virginity to your friend.

What makes that difference, then? Well, mainly how both persons feels enjoyable and naturally to interact. With one person you can feel more naturally to share hugs. With other you can feel more naturally to share that taste for anime. With other you can feel more naturally to share your lips and so. If there's a natural share for direct intimacy and everyday life sharing, you can be a successful couple.

What makes people interact different with one person from other? Well, it's mainly personality, tastes, experiences, memories and so. It's quite complex but you can just say each person is different and thus the interaction with each will always be different. A good sex appeal (appearance) can increase the likelihood of natural physical intimacy. A good romantic appeal (intelligence) can increase the likelihood of intimacy on average. An easy to communicate or share feels with personality can increase the likelihood of everyday life share. I remark likelihood, as interaction itself will overweight anyway, lol.
Nyara❤ wrote...
Love is simple.

TL;DR: Love is simple. What makes it complex is that people sucks.

TL;DR: Interacting with others humans is complex because average sucks and time is limited.

TL;DR: Love needs fluid share of time. To dedicate time to someone you need to take that person seriously. That time is always shared in different ways. The difference between family, friendships and couples is that the last requires from mild/important direct intimacy and everyday life sharing at the same time (you can have one with a friend, but not both at the same time without being a couple).

TL;DR: The ways the time is shared varies because a myriad of so complex reasons we can simplify in the fact that each person is different, so it's obvious we're gonna interact with each person in a different way. Some aspects can increase likelihood (I remark that word) of certain things, though. Sex appeal (appearance) increases physical intimacy likelihood. Romantic appeal (intelligence) increases intimacy likelihood. Easy to pass time with (personality) increases everyday life likelihood.

Note: Indirect is talking and related about, but not doing so with that person.

Spoiler:
You can give and receive love from a dog so easily. He won't betray you, he won't lie you, he won't leave you, he won't judge you. You can even be a bad person on this and the other, but he will most likely tolerate, respect and accept you anyway. He doesn't fear you if you approach to him with good intentions, because you can't lie him, he will read your movements and feelings as his empathy is amazing. He doesn't understand your judges, nor fear your betrayal after a time as he think you're as loyal as he is.

The problem is that humans betrays, humans lies, humans leaves you behind, humans judge you, humans plays with you whatever they wish, humans uses you, humans will prejudge you, humans will ignore you, humans will hurt you. Humans aren't good to tolerate, respect or try to accept others as we tend to be nit picky because our improved social skills allows so, so rather respecting people, we just segregate ourself from those we don't like and we just near to those who seem at first glance perfect. Because we follow people more by words than emotions and movement, our baseline empathy is highly lacking.

It isn't just a problem about evilness and egoism. Because the world works in that way, people has to learn to protect themselves from all that. You can't open all yourself to everyone because you'll get so badly hurt you'll want to suicide for example. This is where things really complex, because you need to successfully shield yourself from the evilness, while being empathic enough, while being respectful enough, while opening yourself enough, while doing all that in a natural and fluid way, as you can't force yourself.

Oh, yes. Love needs of affection, trust and sharing. While the love of the first two is the same for any type, things differs with the third. You may want to share your feelings, experiences, inmate tellings and so with a friend, while you may want to share that kiss, living together and so with that partner. There are a lot of classes of friendships, family and couples, but often, couples requires a desire to share your everyday life with the other along intimacy, directly (that doesn't necessary means solely sex).

You can also share your everyday life and intimacy with a friend, but as for intimacy comes, the difference goes between directly and indirectly. For example you can talk a friend about how you felt while you gave your virginity, that's indirectly sharing your intimacy, but you don't want to gave your virginity to your friend.

What makes that difference, then? Well, mainly how both persons feels enjoyable and naturally to interact. With one person you can feel more naturally to share hugs. With other you can feel more naturally to share that taste for anime. With other you can feel more naturally to share your lips and so. If there's a natural share for direct intimacy and everyday life sharing, you can be a successful couple.

What makes people interact different with one person from other? Well, it's mainly personality, tastes, experiences, memories and so. It's quite complex but you can just say each person is different and thus the interaction with each will always be different. A good sex appeal (appearance) can increase the likelihood of natural physical intimacy. A good romantic appeal (intelligence) can increase the likelihood of intimacy on average. An easy to communicate or share feels with personality can increase the likelihood of everyday life share. I remark likelihood, as interaction itself will overweight anyway, lol.

You can't seem to decide on whether love is simple or complicated lol.

Reading this has made me think of something, though. What people call "intimacy" is just the desire to express things that society dictates we have to keep within ourselves. In the case of sexual intimacy, people share certain desires and aspects of their body that they normally have to hide from the world. But intimacy can also be expressed by sharing thoughts, secrets and feelings--anything people wouldn't normally share with anyone they didn't trust deeply.

I always like to think of love as a cute little houseplant. You have to give it a strong foundation (the pot and soil), a good environment for growth (plenty of warm sunlight), and enough water to grow (but give it too much or too little, and it will wither). And if you give it just the right balance and put enough time into it, it might just survive through the winter.

TL;DR: People suck. Get a puppy-dog.
Spoiler:
What is complex is attraction, love itself is not that troublesome or complex aside the people sucks side and time constraints.

Love is basically a positive relationship moved by feelings. It's different from positive relationships moved by other reasons like convenience, power and so. There's room for others things in love, but in order to be true love it must be moved mainly by feelings.

Now you have a lot of different ways to love someone. Couples' love is just different in the aspect you wish to share both, direct intimacy and everyday life, at the same time and in a quite high degree each one (because degrees also exist, things aren't black and white). By intimacy I mean basically things you feel too personal, for example going to the bathroom, money management, feelings about certain things, experiences, sex, memories and so, that's what I mean with intimacy. I'll note that a couples' love isn't limited to those things alone, it can be far more rich and complex (starting with the ever required trust and loyalty for a solid love), but you need those two as a base to be a couple.

For everyday life you need attachment and for direct intimacy you need attraction. The first just requires constancy, triggered by interest and effort/coincidence (because it's impossible to stay interested all the time without falling on obsession). Attraction is various times more complex, though, complex enough that it's better you just leave it fluid natural rather thinking too hard about it. Just don't overweight first impressions and give people a relative decent chance to enchant you rather closing too quickly to the idea (unless by moral, practical and others reasons it's better you do).

I'll remark positive relationship. It must make both persons feel better with each other. Any sacrifice must be overweight by stronger positive feelings like empathy toward the other; that can be strong, but don't expect it to be strong enough all the time as nobody is fully empathic as empathy is a double-edge sword. Or like courage, honor, loyalty and so that fulfills yourself. If it isn't a positive relationship for both, then someone is using the other for convince or someone fell on obsession.

I don't like too much the analogy of a plant because that just applies to some instance of love. Love is something flexible and highly variable in shape and way. When the love is true, it doesn't fades away nor can be damaged. While a plant on winter gets badly hurt if it even survives. Though you can force yourself to make distance from a loved one, remove it importance and so fort for practical reasons, though it often hurts. When a love isn't real (and/or was smaller than expected) it's often because we made expectations, fantasies and so that resulted to don't be real. People can also make a lot of "practical effects" decisions that results to be just foolish ones, we aren't perfect, lol.

On Topic: We're talking about attraction (liking). I said my posture is that it's better to not think too much about it as it's quite complex and natural and I gave my opinion about the three initial points already. I guess I would add the word appeal, of just appeal on average, I guess a lot can be discussed around it. What you found appealing on someone rather so vague descriptions like "is that person hot/not hot, intelligent/not intelligent" and so.
Holoofyoistu The Messenger
I think every thing is personal, everyone has there own things that they like or dislike. I like women who are more on the heavy side, I find it quite attractive, but I also think that for a relation ship to work you have to A) be interested in at least some of the same things, and B) be willing to do what the other person likes, even if you don't particularly enjoy it, and they should do the same for you.
Misaki_Chi Fakku Nurse
Watashi no Doku wrote...

You can't seem to decide on whether love is simple or complicated lol.

Reading this has made me think of something, though. What people call "intimacy" is just the desire to express things that society dictates we have to keep within ourselves. In the case of sexual intimacy, people share certain desires and aspects of their body that they normally have to hide from the world. But intimacy can also be expressed by sharing thoughts, secrets and feelings--anything people wouldn't normally share with anyone they didn't trust deeply.

I always like to think of love as a cute little houseplant. You have to give it a strong foundation (the pot and soil), a good environment for growth (plenty of warm sunlight), and enough water to grow (but give it too much or too little, and it will wither). And if you give it just the right balance and put enough time into it, it might just survive through the winter.

TL;DR: People suck. Get a puppy-dog.

If you try to "think" about love, yeah it can seem intricate, but actually going through the process of loving another person is more of an experience then a math puzzle.

Love can be compared to taking care of a house plant, but the one thing that is missing with that analogy is you cannot communicate with a plant (I know some people try music therapy and whatnot, but I'm not going to get into that; I find it silly lol).

I look at love as an experience because love has no guide book. You can't just open up the stat screen on a person and know there general background, then choose out of a few options what to say to sway there fancy (though life would be funny if it were like a dating sim).

The only thing that makes it possible to find love or find people is to be open to the idea. This means that regardless of what happens, you want to try and find friends and more. People can hurt you and make you feel like utter shit, but when you find the right people it makes those bad experiences worth it.

I know that even with all of the idiots I've dated, I have really come to appreciate my current boyfriend. He was worth all of the horrible things I had to go through. We have our ups and downs with one another and he can drive me up a wall sometimes, but we always talk things out and value one another. He also plays videogames which makes me happy (seriously most of the guys I use to date didn't! Sad times indeed).

I also think of love like this; sometimes it can hurt to care and love people, but to not know love would be worse then any experience. I love my boyfriend, my friends, my dog, my family, and the people I care for at my job. It's not easy sometimes, but I'd rather love then not love because of fear of whatever.

In the end if you want something you have to find a way to get it. Takes time and effort, but I know for myself I never gave up hope on finding people that I could like and would like me back. Doesn't mean that I wasn't pessimistic and depressed and anxious through it all, but hope can outweigh all of those negative feelings. I'm also hard headed so when I put my mind to things I get it done lol.
The concept of love is mainly complicated because it is overly used. Let alone there are different versions of love.

There is a love that you tell your parents and family members.
Love you tell someone you truly care for.
There is love that you use to get with someone.
There is the love that isn't love, but they use to cover up problems in a relationship.
I think...when it comes to liking someone we all have our own criteria. Like someone said earlier there is appearance, personality, and intelligence. To me it's only just appearance and personality and I add intelligence in with personality. When it comes to looks humans in general are attracted to the thing they find beautiful. I feel it is important to an extent but as far as the long haul in relationships not necessarily. I feel as long as you attract me to you we can get something going. Personality is the more important factor. I like girls who are little different from me. Someone who is more of a social butterfly and supportive of my hobbies. She doesn't have to be a genius but at least be smart enough to hold a good conversation with me you know? I want someone who isn't afraid to speak her mind to me and isn't afraid to ask me for anything. I like women who are motherly and a little crazy (a little yanderish to be precise. I'm kinda discovering that about myself actually.)
Gravity cat the adequately amused
Down to personal opinion.

Here's my "criteria" for the things you've mentioned:

Appearence:
Spoiler:
Prefer girls one would consider cute rather than sexy. Usually said girls are low or average maintenance but still manage to stay pretty. Generally said girls are comfy in whatever they wear.

Personality
Spoiler:
I like an enthusiastic, open minded person. Acts as a fold to my generally not-so-enthusiasticness. Makes me want to talk to them and come out of my shell a bit and reciprocate the enthusiasm to converse.

But often when I do find someone who does, they tend to suddenly lost interest or turn out to be fucking nutjobs. My kingdom for a sane person.

Intelligence
Spoiler:
As long as you fact check things you read about on the Internet, don't actively get involved with or seek drama, aren't a hardcore feminazi or racist and can string together a coherent sentence, I don't really give a shit.

Having valid opinions about things without being a dick about them is also a plus.
She's gotta have a fat ol' ass and big titties. JK #petitesupremacyobama2015.

I like girls that own themselves and give less of a fuck what the world thinks of them, and if they aren't too high-strung and enjoy yoga pants. All the better.

Looks are variable, some looks that you wouldn't think you'd find sexy really work for some broads. So I'm open minded in that regard.