Shipping + import tax

Pages 123Next
This is crazy... I bought a book for $19.95 and the shipping is $16.50, then i get charged import tax of $19.31

So the total cost of 1 book cost me 55.76... Isn't there anything you guys can do to lower the cost somehow?

As much as i want to support you guys and love hard copies of your books, I'm getting shafted too much by the customs and shipping. So far I bought every single book except the ones not released yet, but I'm in serious doubt I can continue doing this.

Can you please set up a shop in Canada? ):
There's an import tax to Canada? So are you saying you get charged money when you pick up the book? Is that normal?
Jacob wrote...
There's an import tax to Canada? So are you saying you get charged money when you pick up the book? Is that normal?

Yes there's an import tax from USA to Canada... As in when they come to my door, they come with a CoD (cash on delivery)

Whether they are normal or not... I get taxed 90% of the time from what I seen so far. But this time the price was quite severe.
zecknor wrote...
Jacob wrote...

Yes there's an import tax from USA to Canada... As in when they come to my door, they come with a CoD (cash on delivery)

Whether they are normal or not... I get taxed 90% of the time from what I seen so far. But this time the price was quite severe.

I've honestly never heard of that, and we ship a lot of stuff to Canada. I'll have to look into it a bit more. Do you live in a city or in the middle of nowhere?
Jacob wrote...
zecknor wrote...
Jacob wrote...

I've honestly never heard of that, and we ship a lot of stuff to Canada. I'll have to look into it a bit more. Do you live in a city or in the middle of nowhere?

City. Basically Vancouver, BC.
zecknor wrote...
Jacob wrote...
zecknor wrote...
Jacob wrote...

City. Basically Vancouver, BC.

Yeah I had no idea there was an import fee to Canada (though I don't do the shipping), that honestly sucks :(
animefreak_usa Child of Samael
Slayer lives north of Vancouver... I don't think he was charged custom fees. The buyfag guide said only if the total is over 60$ on the customs form.
animefreak_usa wrote...
Slayer lives north of Vancouver... I don't think he was charged custom fees. The buyfag guide said only if the total is over 60$ on the customs form.

Well... it was only 1 book and I was charged just today. It's pretty realistic to me since it happened just now.
animefreak_usa Child of Samael
I guess they changed itm
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html
zecknor wrote...
This is crazy... I bought a book for $19.95 and the shipping is $16.50, then i get charged import tax of $19.31

So the total cost of 1 book cost me 55.76... Isn't there anything you guys can do to lower the cost somehow?

As much as i want to support you guys and love hard copies of your books, I'm getting shafted too much by the customs and shipping. So far I bought every single book except the ones not released yet, but I'm in serious doubt I can continue doing this.

Normal English text:

Mine is in different state. Lemme tell you a story, you see me and my friends bought books here in FAKKU but the problem is, my friend Andy bought the book and until NOW he didn't received it yet but it cost him $69.99 after the payment and still the book isn't delivered yet and we can't even read it online. WHERE'S THE HUMANITY IN THIS POINT OH WHY!

Gangsta English text

Mine is up in different hood. Lemme rap a story, you peep me n' mah playaz looted books here up in FAKKU but tha problem is, mah playa Andy looted tha book n' until NOW da ruffneck didn't received it yet but it cost his ass $69.99 afta tha payment n' still tha book aint served up yet n' we can't even read it online. Put ya muthafuckin choppers up if ya feelin dis shiznit! WHERE'S THE HUMANITY IN THIS POINT OH WHY!
Stanford Abrahams wrote...
zecknor wrote...

Normal English text:

Mine is in different state. Lemme tell you a story, you see me and my friends bought books here in FAKKU but the problem is, my friend Andy bought the book and until NOW he didn't received it yet but it cost him $69.99 after the payment and still the book isn't delivered yet and we can't even read it online. WHERE'S THE HUMANITY IN THIS POINT OH WHY!

Gangsta English text

Mine is up in different hood. Lemme rap a story, you peep me n' mah playaz looted books here up in FAKKU but tha problem is, mah playa Andy looted tha book n' until NOW da ruffneck didn't received it yet but it cost his ass $69.99 afta tha payment n' still tha book aint served up yet n' we can't even read it online. Put ya muthafuckin choppers up if ya feelin dis shiznit! WHERE'S THE HUMANITY IN THIS POINT OH WHY!

Really send me an email with all the info, if this is real I'll get it fixed. Keep it to normal Enlgish text, my email is jacob@fakku.net
Bunny5390 The Defenestrator!
This is odd... I'm in Montreal and didn't get charged import fees on either Renai sample or Punikano, and the latter just arrived last week.

The info Freaky linked to says that items under 20 Canadian dollars should be import tax free, at least at the federal level, but also specifically says books don't qualify for that exemption. So according to that we should all be getting charged an import tax...

Could it also be that you were charged BC's PST (+ a handling fee)?

Interestingly, it says here that:

Foreign-registered publishers outside Canada are allowed to pre-collect the GST on printed matter only, such as books, newspapers, magazines and periodicals.

but that probably wouldn't be a good idea, considering that apparently only some of us are getting noticed and taxed. Probably better to keep it that way.
Stanford Abrahams wrote...
zecknor wrote...

Normal English text:

Gangsta English text

You need to get a new card or something. I see you having problems with ordering/receiving books far too much.
Ryssen wrote...

You need to get a new card or something. I see you having problems with ordering/receiving books far too much.

Normal English text:

I do have a lot of problems in my card which I stole from some people who messes with me. But the point is, sometimes it's written in Russian language which is inunderstandable for me and sometimes the card password is different but I got the combination. Well I guess I'll ask someone to email Jacob about this problem then.

Gangsta English text:

I do gotz a shitload of problems up in mah card which I stole from some playas whoz ass messes wit mah dirty ass. But tha point is, sometimes itz freestyled up in Russian language which is inunderstandable fo' me n' sometimes tha card password is different but I gots tha combination. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Well I guess I be bout ta ask one of mah thugs ta email Jacob bout dis problem then.
animefreak_usa wrote...
I guess they changed itm
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

2006:

Mail items that are gifts worth $60 or less

A gift sent by a friend or family member abroad to a person in Canada is exempt from duties and taxes as long as the gift is worth $60 or less. Alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, and advertising material do not qualify for the gift exemption.

The declaration should clearly identify the goods as a gift, and should include a gift card or tag to avoid any misunderstanding. For gifts worth more than $60, you have to pay duties and taxes on the amount over the $60 exemption.

For example, if you receive a gift from overseas worth $100, only $60 of the gift's value qualifies for the gift exemption. You will have to pay duties and taxes on the remaining portion of the value, in this case $40.

Mail items worth $20 or less

If the goods you import by mail are worth $20 or less, they are duty- and/or tax-free.

The following goods do not qualify for this exemption:

* alcoholic beverages, cigars, cigarettes, and manufactured tobacco;

* books, periodicals, or magazines, if the publisher should be registered for goods and services tax but is not; and

* goods you ordered or bought from a Canadian retailer or intermediary, but which were mailed directly to you from outside Canada.

When you import goods worth more than $20 that do not qualify for the gift exemption, you have to pay duties and taxes on the entire value. You cannot combine the $60 gift exemption and the $20 exemption for the same goods.
New books came, just got charged 34 dollars import tax again...
zecknor wrote...

That sounds more like some stupid handling fees than tax. Or there's something horribly wrong with Canada's tax system since 34$ tax on a 20$ book is just wrong.
Dynellen wrote...
zecknor wrote...

That sounds more like some stupid handling fees than tax. Or there's something horribly wrong with Canada's tax system since 34$ tax on a 20$ book is just wrong.

Sigh... I think I'm done with physical books. They even teared open the box every single time. And the wrapping to flip through the books.
Drifter995 Neko//Night
Are those with the import fees only doing it via cash on delivery? It may be something related to that, maybe?

Otherwise, that's really weird. Maybe they found out fakku has had some loli stuff, and by that, they are now sweeping all the books, just to make sure. Then charging for the time to check them or something strange and bullshit?

I myself get charged $23 postage, which does seem a touch excessive for a book, but, I'm not all that phased. Was thinking it might be the same as ops, and would then question it, but it's not.

Might I ask, does jacob use plain packaging? It probably isn't really a part of it, but, could have something to do with it maybe?
Brittany FAKKU Production Mngr
I sent a spare router to a Canadian friend of mine and we were both surprised by the duty fees in Canada when importing. It cost him $40 to retrieve it after I spent $50 to mail it.

I've seen some Canadians on here purchase the books individually to prevent the duty fee. @myurton-4045440 have you had success with that?

Though I suppose you only purchased one book initially based on the cost that you explained.
Pages 123Next