1 1/2 mile run

What's a good way to get a run time down for a 1 1/2 mile run? Build up my cardio or or jog a 1 or 2 miles everyday?
what's your current time and physical shape?
Tsujoi Social Media Manager
Stunt777 wrote...
Build up my cardio or or jog a 1 or 2 miles everyday?

Aren't these the same thing?
Tsujoi wrote...
Stunt777 wrote...

Yeah... You'd be running everyday so you'd be working on your cardio as well as building up on your endurance. o-o
Stunt777 wrote...
What's a good way to get a run time down for a 1 1/2 mile run? Build up my cardio or or jog a 1 or 2 miles everyday?

Honestly just run every day, you'll slowly see improvement.

No quick ways to improve, sorry
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Raise your knees waist high when running or jogging in place. Proven and tested.[/color][/font]
[color=#2e1a6b]My time for a 1.3 mile run has Been about 7:40 for the past few years, but on the night I came home from philmont, I ran it in 6:30. All I do at philmont is hike 10 miles a day at 8000 ft altitude, but that sure built up my endurance.
I'm currently in the process of enlisting with the Marine Corps. When I started the process my 1.5 mile (2.41km) run was an abysmal 15:14. Currently I am running a time between 10:40 and 11:20 depending on various factors (if it's cold, how I'm feeling, if I am sore for any reason).

The ways I've seen people improve is to pick a distance such as the 1.5 miles and run it often. By "often" I mean 3-5 times a week trying to keep your pace as fast as possible during the entire time. In other words, if you finish the run and you're not completely out of breath with the thought of "oh shit, I can't breath" lingering in the back of your mind. You need to step it up.

The method I personally used was doing run/walk intervals for a distance longer than my target which was a 1.5 mile. Every other day after work I would run/walk to the recruiting station which was 3 miles away. Each time I would run, I aimed to lengthen my run distance before I would eventually stop to walk. So I would aim to run .25 mile without stopping, then when I could do that I upped it to .5 then a full mile and so on so forth.

A couple of cardio exercises I recommend are;

Burpee's

and mountain climbers

We do these a lot during USMC PT (physical training).

I hope this helps.
Thanks for all the advice. And my time is currently 12:30.
When I was in the Army(HM British Army) the minimum time for an entry level squaddie was 12:30, so your time isn't bad. For a standard PFT you'll need to do 1.5 in 10:30 or less. Just run every day and you can probably get that time down 2 minutes in about 6 months to a year, depending on how your body takes to it.
I've been running 5 miles every day(outside if I can, sometimes on a treadmill) for the last 5 years. I can usually get in 2-3 miles even if I'm pretty busy. My 1.5 mile time, which I check monthly, is 7:14.
I'm not sure if it's proven, but I find good abdominal strength really aids in the run, makes it easier to raise your legs. Sit-ups are also excellent for your hips, which you will need.
Run much further than you actually need to. To train for a 2 mile run I ran 5 miles frequently. It builds your strength and endurance so that when the time actually comes you can easily tell yourself, 'this distance is no big deal, I can really push myself' and get a faster time.
Tsujoi wrote...
Stunt777 wrote...

I really think that that's not enough to truly build up cardiovascular endurance enough to where there's a big improvement. To see noticeable changes, I'd at least do 3 or 4 a day (set aside about 30 or so minutes).
to build your cardio run at least 4 to 5 miles 4 times a week and each week, lets say every monday that your overall time drops by 20 seconds.
My 3km time at best is 12 minutes and a bit over, but I'm probably on the average side of 3km as I'm a long long distance, as in I'm a 10km jogger type. But I suggest just jog at a steady and comfortable pace, it doesn't matter if you can't maintain that pace for the entire jog and have to to breaks, every next time you go for a jog you will start to have less and less breaks until you can run 1.5 miles without breaks at all.
As for the "breaks", don't bluntly stop : keep running at a slower pace until you reach again your breath -- you can slow down to a walking pace, even drinking and eating, but do not stop.

Or else, blood goes down :
  • You're hot, so skin's veins are dilated, it lower the blood pressure so blood go back slower to the heart.

• You're tired, so your veins struggle to send back the blood to the heart (that's why we have dark rings under the eyes).

• Plain muscles are a part of the blood circulation engine, too (that's why when people are confined to bed for long time they're given anticoagulants).
Thanks for all the advice it has helped me on my run times.
Holoofyoistu The Messenger
If you want to get in better shape, run twice a day, once in the morning and once before dinner for about 4-5 miles, not too fast, just keep a pace the whole time, than every few days, try and get the route done in a little less time.
for my police academy the highest running time is 9:30 on 1mile 1/2, set this your gaol
we have been running at least 2-3 miles in interval of 1min sprints and 45sec jogging, with LOTS of body weight exercises for 2 hours straight 3 times a week.Try this out