2016 Fakku Summer Writing Contest

Pages 12Next
Cinia Pacifica Ojou-sama Writer
Forum Image: http://puu.sh/qbGjb/9b50d3f36f.png

The FAKKU Summer Writing Contest has finally returned. I bid you ladies and gentlemen to take up your pen and papers, get your flow of creativity going, and get ready to write. May the scorching heat of summer test your mental perseverance, rather than discourage you from creating what you may one day boast to be your greatest masterpiece. If it counts as incentives for you, we have FAKKU Subscriptions as prizes this year, so I’d encourage everyone—even those who haven’t tried their hand at writing—to give it a shot.

Rules:

1. The word limit is 2500, please make sure not to cross this limit for your entry, for the extras will be disregarded.

2. The themes for this contest are: Mystery, Horror and Supernatural. All stories must contain aspects of at least one of the three themes.

3. Any kind of creative writing will be accepted, thus stories and poetry are both welcome.

4. Please be informed that it must be your own original work. If the work is found to be plagiarised, it will not be counted as an entry. We will be examining your work very closely.

5. A link to your entry submission must be posted in this thread for your participation in the contest to be acceptable.

6. While comments are allowed in this topic, please keep the posts here relevant.

7. Please note that we do not support anyone having someone else edit, fix or improve grammatical errors, or anything in their entry. So, don’t do that. Your entry should be your own work.

8. Please include the following tag [Summer Contest Entry 2016] at the front of the thread title of your entry. An example would be “[Summer Contest Entry 2016] My midsummer trip to the beach.”

9. Each contestant is allowed to submit a maximum of ONE entry.

Deadline:

The deadline for entries is 00:00 of the 20th of August, 2016 (EST, GMT-5). Entries after this specific time will be disregarded.

Judging:

A panel of three judges—d(^_^)(^_^)d, Xenon and myself—will choose our favorites based on our judging, explain the reasoning behind them, and declare the two winners.

The Prize:

There will be two winners. Both winners may earn the same reward: a month’s worth of subscription. This may or not may happen, but the winners may also receive a code based on what FAKKU Book (digital) they desire, and they will then be able to get said book without having to pay for it.

Additionally, the winners shall earn the respect and praise of the writers of the Writing and Fanfiction sub-forum’s community, and they may also be able to judge for the next Summer Writing Contest.

So, get your ideas out and give it a shot. Believe in your own potential and aim for the top. You may just be able to impress us with your writing and creativity.

Edit: Stickied by Gambler
While you are to keep your posts relevant to the topic here, you are obviously free to post your questions here, if you have any. In the event that you may feel humiliated or overwhelmed by the public presence, then please feel free to send a PM to any one of the judges.

Also, please try to leave some comments on the entries of the participants. It doesn't matter whether you're a fellow writer, a participant yourself, or someone who rarely writes and just reads; writers enjoy comments and feedback from almost anyone.

F.A.Q.s

--How do I submit my Entry?

Make a new thread for your entry in Writing and Fanfiction. Then, copy the link of your entry and post it in this thread.

You MUST post the link of your entry in this thread or else, we will NOT count it.

--Can I submit Multiple Entries?

For every user, there will be a limit of ONE (1) entry. Each judge has to read every entry. In order to avoid potential eye strain, please limit your entries to one piece please.

--Does it absolutely have to be under 2500 words?

Yes. If people could make do with 1000 words in the first writing contest, then why not 2500 words?

--Can I change or edit my entry?

Sure, you may edit your entry up until the deadline – 00:00 of the 20th of August, 2016 (EST, GMT-5).

--Can I take ideas, or have a parody from an already-existing work?

Sure you can. However, you need to let us know that you did, lest you wish your entry to be considered a plagiarised work. Just leave a footnote regarding it at the bottom of the post that contains your entry in the thread.

--Do I have to include adult/sexual content in my entry?

This is purely your choice. We don’t mind if sexual content is present. We don't encourage or discourage it.

List of participants:

If your entry is not on this list, then that means one (or more) of the following:

- You did not post a link to your submission as instructed by the rules above.

- Your entry did not follow the rules: under 2500 words and include any of the themes.

- Your entry was not posted before the deadline.

- The list is yet to be updated.

Please have some patience with me.

Special thanks to winter55 for this year's banner.
Xenon FAKKU Writer
I'm looking forward to reading everyone's entries. I hope you come up with some nice creepy tales for everyone to enjoy a few months early of the scariest time of year.

Best of luck, and remember to proofread thoroughly!
Xenon wrote...
I'm looking forward to reading everyone's entries. I hope you come up with some nice creepy tales for everyone to enjoy a few months early of the scariest time of year.

I would like to echo all of that. I also promise to take this more seriously than I did coming up with my user name.
xninebreaker FAKKU Writer
How exciting! Looking forward to competing again, and with a stacked judge panel no less. Best of luck to everyone; it's outside my genre, but I won't let anyone off with a free win!
Well that's an interesting set of themes. Unfortunately, I'll be quite busy the whole month, so I don't know if I'll be able to submit something decent, or if I'll be able to submit something at all. Nevertheless, best of luck to everyone joining the contest! I look forward to reading everyone else's work :)
Work's been keeping me busy and I've devoted my writing to typing up campaigns and scenarios for D&D, but maybe another go won't be bad. I'd love to finally win...
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Xenon wrote...

I would like to echo all of that. I also promise to take this more seriously than I did coming up with my user name.

Should I express apprehension that you are on the panel? Snide jokes aside, I will try my damned best to come up with something ludicrous given the themes.

Mystery, horror and the supernatural are very interesting themes. (Interesting in the sense that it is very, very challenging to come up with anything that fits my style and tastes in writing, namely the silly and the bizarre)

The cogs within my skull are running now. For some reason, politics of faraway nations and a parody of some Jap cartoon are some of the ideas that are forming in my head as I type this message. A Ghostbusters parody featuring female protagonists come to mind too considering that it appears to fit all three of the themes nicely!
crazr wrote...
Work's been keeping me busy and I've devoted my writing to typing up campaigns and scenarios for D&D, but maybe another go won't be bad. I'd love to finally win...

Submit something. You never know. That said, as a judge this time around, I would prefer if you submit something good. I didn't sign up for this just because it's fun to destroy peoples dreams with harsh criticisms.

Should I express apprehension that you are on the panel?

Be very afraid.

Snide jokes aside, I will try my damned best to come up with something ludicrous given the themes.

Mystery, horror and the supernatural are very interesting themes. (Interesting in the sense that it is very, very challenging to come up with anything that fits my style and tastes in writing, namely the silly and the bizarre)

I have faith in you to come up with something ludicrous.
I'll take a crack at it too this time.

I probably won't win or even get 2nd but I feel like I need a change of pace, from so much re-writing work on chapter 10 of my own project that I'm losing my mind here.

Well, I'll edit this post with a link to the thread once I submit it and PM you.

Thanks for hosting this year, I look forward to reading everyone's amazing works!

Edit: My entry is here.
I am busy so I thought it is best to come up with something quickly.

This is my entry for the competition.

A Collection of Resumés

I assure you that things become very terrifying as you read towards the end.

Word count: ~2400. By that I meant 2495 words.
leonard267 wrote...
I am busy so I thought it is best to come up with something quickly.

This is my entry for the competition.

A Collection of Resumes

I assure you that things become very terrifying as you read towards the end.

Word count: <2400

I actually read your submission before I saw this post, so I was pleasantly surprised lol

It's amazing, and you call yourself a non-writer?
As requested, this thread has been stickied.

Likewise, I hope the summer writing contest of 2016 will be successful!
Demon Casket Elated Eternal Virgin
Hi, all. New poster here, looking to get in with an entry of my own.

Just to be clear, does the work have to be 100% original or can it be a fanfiction?
-If fanfiction is allowed, does it have to be anime based, or, can it be any animation or common reference?
Demon Casket wrote...
Hi, all. New poster here, looking to get in with an entry of my own.

Just to be clear, does the work have to be 100% original or can it be a fanfiction?
-If fanfiction is allowed, does it have to be anime based, or, can it be any animation or common reference?

Hello, I thank you for taking interest in our contest. We have answered this question in the F.A.Q. however:

--Can I take ideas, or have a parody from an already-existing work?

Sure you can. However, you need to let us know that you did, lest you wish your entry to be considered a plagiarised work. Just leave a footnote regarding it at the bottom of the post that contains your entry in the thread.

It does not have to be anime-based, feel free to choose what you like.
Demon Casket Elated Eternal Virgin
Roger, roger.
Thanks for answering. I hope I come up with something tasty.
Come on people, you got less than five days left!
Yanker I read hentai for plot
Unravelled

Been real busy lately, luckily the entry doesn't need to be that long. Despite this, I had a hard time scraping everything into the word limit.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Come on people, you got less than five days left!

Not to worry. You have 3 entries so far. Judging them isn't going to be a problem. But if you want to read some more, I have written a parody of one of the entries!

https://www.fakku.net/forums/writing-and-fanfiction/summer-contest-entry-2016-blizzards-before-august#4626923
xninebreaker FAKKU Writer
Looks like I barely made it in yet again.

Good Blessings

Words: 2492
I've gotta say, very difficult topic for me in a lot of ways. I think it fits the theme(s) of the contest enough though.
Pages 12Next