so...

Pages Prev123Next
PumpJack McGee wrote...
Had a spat with an old-timer as well.

We were prepping to pour a floor, and we needed to lay down steel weld plates so that the metalworkers could install their beams.

I took a look and told him that the last five seemed to be off by about a foot each. He basically told me to shut the fuck up new guy, he's got 30 years experience more, don't tell him what to do, etc. etc.

I didn't push it much further. A foreman was nearby, basically took his side.

So we pour the concrete, cover it, let it cure, etc.

Next week the steelworkers come in.

Made sure to wear my best shit-eating grin as I handed the old codger the jackhammer.

This tard keeps saying how he has 20 years experience.

Except he's never had a single manager position and has been told that he'll be fired if he fucks up again.

Also, he was a chef in the Navy
Gravity cat wrote...
Renovartio wrote...
CronaBaka wrote...
Just fill the hole.

Can't

Is it because the girl next door is blackmailing you into keeping it a peeping hole?

Love the Nozoki Ana reference XD
PumpJack McGee wrote...

We were prepping to pour a floor, and we needed to lay down steel weld plates so that the metalworkers could install their beams.

I took a look and told him that the last five seemed to be off by about a foot each. He basically told me to shut the fuck up new guy, he's got 30 years experience more, don't tell him what to do, etc. etc.

Made sure to wear my best shit-eating grin as I handed the old codger the jackhammer.

Good man
Drifter995 wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...

Good man

what happen then?
Renovartio wrote...
Drifter995 wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...

Good man

what happen then?

Not much except having gained some respect and a little hate. I was put in charge of a crew not long after.
PumpJack McGee wrote...
Renovartio wrote...
Drifter995 wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...

Good man

what happen then?

Not much except having gained some respect and a little hate. I was put in charge of a crew not long after.

And then?
Renovartio wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...
Renovartio wrote...
Drifter995 wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...

Good man

what happen then?

And then?

Things were good for a while.

But then oil prices tanked, the economy faceplanted, and at least 30 000 jobs were lost in a month.

Including mine.

Hiked back to France Lite and went back to doing independent contract work.
PumpJack McGee wrote...
Renovartio wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...
Renovartio wrote...
Drifter995 wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...

Good man

what happen then?

And then?

But then oil prices tanked, the economy faceplanted, and at least 30 000 jobs were lost in a month.

Including mine.

And then?
PumpJack McGee wrote...

Pure fucking win.

Also, experience means nothing if they spent all 30 of those years with their head up their ass.

Should have at least asked you to explain yourself first before saying 'Fuck off I've been a carpenter for 45 years.'

That fence will never be straight now, and not a single picket is 6 feet tall.

Dumb stubborn old shits.
正義 wrote...

Pure fucking win.

Also, experience means nothing if they spent all 30 of those years with their head up their ass.

Should have at least asked you to explain yourself first before saying 'Fuck off I've been a carpenter for 45 years.'

Dumb stubborn old shits.

Not fence, dude- these were for the steel frame of the building.

Jackhammer them back out, jackhammer new holes in the right place, drill, pour, fix, etc.

Renovartio wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...
Renovartio wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...
Renovartio wrote...
Drifter995 wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...

Good man

what happen then?

And then?

Including mine.

And then?

Odd jobs here and there; Built two houses, redid a deck, some small painting/trim jobs, a stonewall alongside a long ass driveway, some landscaping/forestry for most of the summer, and now it's bak 2 skhoul two c if kan dewitt better than 10 years ago. Some alternate job prospects require a degree.
PumpJack McGee wrote...
正義 wrote...

Pure fucking win.

Dumb stubborn old shits.

Jackhammer them back out, jackhammer new holes in the right place, drill, pour, fix, etc.

Renovartio wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...
Renovartio wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...
Renovartio wrote...
Drifter995 wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...

Good man

what happen then?

And then?

Including mine.

And then?

Odd jobs here and there; Built two houses, redid a deck, some small painting/trim jobs, a stonewall alongside a long ass driveway, some landscaping/forestry for most of the summer, and now it's bak 2 skhoul two c if kan dewitt better than 10 years ago. Some alternate job prospects require a degree.

so what did you do with the money?
Renovartio wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...
正義 wrote...

Pure fucking win.

Dumb stubborn old shits.

Renovartio wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...
Renovartio wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...
Renovartio wrote...
Drifter995 wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...

Good man

what happen then?

And then?

Including mine.

And then?

so what did you do with the money?

It's just savings, for now. Back in school, I won't really have much of an income, so school things, living things, food things, car things, etc.
PumpJack McGee wrote...

Spoiler:
I wasn't talking about your co-worker when I mentioned the fence and the carpenter, I was talking about an idiot who helped us put up a fence at our expense when I stayed the weekend with my parents, only to fuck everything up - He should have listened to me when I said to space the pickets for the expansion caused when they absorb moisture - also, measure from the ground to 6 feet up in various spots, because the fence was on a hill.

Not only are the boards crooked as fuck and many are even splitting after barely 2 months, but the idiot carpenter didn't even measure from the ground so he had to cut off the entire top of the fence and now you can just casually walk up and look into my father's neighbor's yard, or vice-versa, even though it was supposed to be a 6-foot privacy fence.

Not to mention, the dirtbag was only 'helping' us because the neighbor, who was actually kind of helping build the fence, decided to have him on board to save time. Do things quick and shitty instead of doing it right, and this is the result. When I gave this advice, which was backed by basic scientific knowledge, which he clearly lacked, and later my theory that the boards would split held up very soon, he promptly said "I've been a carpenter for 45 years kid, I think I know what I'm doing."

So that was how we ended up building a shitty fence with shit tons of split pickets and no weatherproofing because they refused to paint it or get pressure treated wood and refused to space the wood to avoid the applied pressure from the expansion of the wooden. Great job, 45-years of carpentry really made you a great fence builder. Bravo.

Since then, whenever my father mentions any work that he needs my help with, I refuse if he is going to be also getting help from the neighbors or random people because he lives in a neighborhood full of idiots who don't listen to reason and have their heads so far up their asses that there's no point even trying to work with them.

Every time I visit, I'm reminded of why I'm so happy I moved out when I was 18 - not just because of the friction my family had at the time, but also because of the shitty community.

tl;dr The idiot carpenter was just an example from my own experience dealing with old people who have their heads up their asses.
正義 wrote...
PumpJack McGee wrote...

Spoiler:
I wasn't talking about your co-worker when I mentioned the fence and the carpenter, I was talking about an idiot who helped us put up a fence at our expense when I stayed the weekend with my parents, only to fuck everything up - He should have listened to me when I said to space the pickets for the expansion caused when they absorb moisture - also, measure from the ground to 6 feet up in various spots, because the fence was on a hill.

Not only are the boards crooked as fuck and many are even splitting after barely 2 months, but the idiot carpenter didn't even measure from the ground so he had to cut off the entire top of the fence and now you can just casually walk up and look into my father's neighbor's yard, or vice-versa, even though it was supposed to be a 6-foot privacy fence.

Not to mention, the dirtbag was only 'helping' us because the neighbor, who was actually kind of helping build the fence, decided to have him on board to save time. Do things quick and shitty instead of doing it right, and this is the result. When I gave this advice, which was backed by basic scientific knowledge, which he clearly lacked, and later my theory that the boards would split held up very soon, he promptly said "I've been a carpenter for 45 years kid, I think I know what I'm doing."

So that was how we ended up building a shitty fence with shit tons of split pickets and no weatherproofing because they refused to paint it or get pressure treated wood and refused to space the wood to avoid the applied pressure from the expansion of the wooden. Great job, 45-years of carpentry really made you a great fence builder. Bravo.

Since then, whenever my father mentions any work that he needs my help with, I refuse if he is going to be also getting help from the neighbors or random people because he lives in a neighborhood full of idiots who don't listen to reason and have their heads so far up their asses that there's no point even trying to work with them.

Every time I visit, I'm reminded of why I'm so happy I moved out when I was 18 - not just because of the friction my family had at the time, but also because of the shitty community.

tl;dr The idiot carpenter was just an example from my own experience dealing with old people who have their heads up their asses.

>45 years of experience
>doesn't know that wood expands

I think he was just talking out his ass
Renovartio wrote...
>45 years of experience

I think he was just talking it his ass

You're probably right though - it's stubborn stupid old shits like that they just rub me the wrong way.
Gravity cat the adequately amused
正義 wrote...
Renovartio wrote...
>45 years of experience

I think he was just talking it his ass

You're probably right though - it's stubborn stupid old shits like that they just rub me the wrong way.

Would you rather they rub you the right way? ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

Spoiler:
Couldn't resist
Gravity cat wrote...
Would you rather they rub you the right way? ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

Spoiler:
Couldn't resist

lol
So mean.
So one time he comes up and tells me everything going on in his life.

I asked him why he's telling me

he says "I figured you'd want to know."

What

anywho

So during one such conversation...

>I went to the doctor, he tells me I have something wrong with me...

with your what?

>Something to do with my butt

Your prostate?

>No... something that begins with "p"

... Your prostate?

>No, No... something only men have.

... Penis?

>No, no... anyway, he says I need to go and see him again

whatever dude

-awhile later-

>My doctor said it's my prostate

-recently-