How much japanese do you like in your doujins?

How much Japanese left untranslated?

Total Votes : 19
Do you prefer idiot or baka? Bro or onichan? Mr Tanaka or Tanaka san? Let's eat or itadakimasu?
I prefer everything to be translated except what's handwritten by or unique to the author. Sound effects and background writing commonly use more unique handwriting or fonts. For example, Nobuyuki Fukumoto's signature zawa usage and Taiyo Matsumoto's graffiti that he draws in backgrounds. Japanese vs. English honorifics can go either way for me.
I keep seeing things like Tanaka-sensei being translated into Mr. or Mrs. Tanaka and it feels like that lose importance. Also, lots of -nee entirely being dropped, making two friends who have a close enough relationship for one of them to be the bigger sister to appear more distant in the translation.
Prefer for translated
Gravity cat the adequately amused
Preferably everything as someone who doesn't know the language. Background SFX aren't important but does help if they are translated.
Like one user mentions, retaining the honourifics are ideal; westernising them takes me out of the immersion.
Everything, but some sound effect stuff is ok untranslated
I like when they don't translate words that don't really translate. Like "sempai" or "kohai" -- there's not a good equiv of those terms so translating them leads to a loss of meaning
I generally prefer everything to be translated, with one exception. Honorifics and anything else related to how characters refer to each other because the meaning is often lost in English.
I dont mind learning the occasional words, its only when there is japanese writing for sound effects or un background images that arent explained that I dont like. Sometimes that additional context would be very useful.
if theres nuance to the word, leave it in romajii.
Sound effects are kind of whatever, but the moment there's a need for a "translators note" we start going back into the dark-ages of crappy anime-fansubs that are 50% Japanese, 25% Translators notes, and 25% actual translation.
The only reason not to translate a Japanese term, is to emphasize a cultural difference. If a girl calls a man "Oniichan" instead of "Bro," that tells me she's is either a native Japanese speaker- in which case, the story should be of her experiences as a "fish out of water"- or she's an obsessive anime otaku.

Leaving a term untranslated, is a sign of either laziness, apathy towards potential customers who aren't yet as into anime and manga- VERY BAD for business- or contempt towards those who aren't as big an otaku as the translator- again, VERY BAD for business.
If it's very obvious what it mean in the situation, it's fine to leave in. like Baka is pretty obvious when it's said, don't have to know what it means, but you understand it's an insult