[Summer Contest Entry 2012] Leonard267's Summer Vacation

Pages Prev12
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
I apologise for the double post, but I feel that I ought to top a terrible summer with a terrible report card. Ah!!! My summer is complete!

I'm afraid this story didn't survive my first cut so it didn't receive a numerical grading, but I can give you one anyway. I agree that it entertains in some manner, but maybe if it were a little less angry and a bit more clever, it would come out as a better story in the end. I'm not sure if making this your writing style for the future is the best idea, but my opinion certainly shouldn't deter you. If anything, work on it so it flows a bit better and go a little easier on the rage.

4 - Grammar/Spelling - Decent
2 - Plot - There is no real plot to speak of, unless hatred of summer counts as plot.
4 - Theme - I would take off more points, but the hatred of summer does qualify as summer, even if it doesn't really feel like it.
1 - Flow - The rage distracts from the good parts of the story, and the repeated molestation of the fourth wall takes away any pretense that this is a story
3 - Originality - I've not only heard this rant before, I've probably made at least parts of it myself at some point.
FINAL SCORE 14/25
Hey, don't know if you can speak german but:
Das war verdammt lustig :D
Translated it means as much as:
That was damn funny.
Although I have to agree with CoffeePrince. A story with that kind of dry and sarcastic main character would have probably been great.
Anyways wanted to thank you again for reading my text. That would be all I think... Yeah thats it.
MrRa1ndrop wrote...
Hey, don't know if you can speak german but:
Das war verdammt lustig :D
Translated it means as much as:
That was damn funny.
Although I have to agree with CoffeePrince. A story with that kind of dry and sarcastic main character would have probably been great.
Anyways wanted to thank you again for reading my text. That would be all I think... Yeah thats it.

I am thinking of writing parodies of the better entries of the recently ended writing competition. Perhaps I can come up with a main character.

To be frank, the first time I saw your thread, I thought you were sharing us your phone texts with us. Nonetheless, I enjoyed looking through your story.

But it would be a nice idea isn't it? Sharing some exchanges over the phone with us.
It was wickedly dark with the perfectly dry sense of humor to match the tone of the rest of the work. It reminds me loosely of Chuck Palahniuk, especially at the end where you mention the tankers in the distance and the waste just offshore topped off with the remark of "I just can't appreciate that". It isn't wrong, you just can't appreciate it. I lol'd, as I'm sure most did.
This work was very interesting for me, I couldn't stop reading up until the end.
It appealed to me in some way that I can relate some of my summer memories before.
It was a good read, made me smile as I could feel your very emotion through your work.

Keep up the Good Work, hope to read more of your Rants/Works in the future.
I tip my imaginary hat to you leonard267 because your realistically, fictional rant captured my interest as I read through the first paragraph. I chuckled here and there throughout the whole rant/essay because I can relate depreciating everything in my life to create humor for my fellow people who have the time to hear my so-called opinion on things like gas prices, Obama, technology, and the younger generations having little respect for peers and elders. I am honestly impressed that the last sentence I wrote in this was as long as it was because I tend to write short sentences, except sometimes I can write really long sentences that capture one complete thought and can connect that sentence to the paragraph as a whole.... what was I talking about? Oh yeah; your rant was humorous and I simply like to hear more and maybe even create a conversation or debate, not in the sense of arguing and name-calling but in expressing your view which opposes the other person's view, with you about which one of our countries are worst than the other and who truly hates their life more in a fictitious yet relative manner.
GiantBeardedFace wrote...
I tip my imaginary hat to you leonard267 because your realistically, fictional rant captured my interest as I read through the first paragraph. I chuckled here and there throughout the whole rant/essay because I can relate depreciating everything in my life to create humor for my fellow people who have the time to hear my so-called opinion on things like gas prices, Obama, technology, and the younger generations having little respect for peers and elders. I am honestly impressed that the last sentence I wrote in this was as long as it was because I tend to write short sentences, except sometimes I can write really long sentences that capture one complete thought and can connect that sentence to the paragraph as a whole.... what was I talking about? Oh yeah; your rant was humorous and I simply like to hear more and maybe even create a conversation or debate, not in the sense of arguing and name-calling but in expressing your view which opposes the other person's view, with you about which one of our countries are worst than the other and who truly hates their life more in a fictitious yet relative manner.

Giant, I have to tell you this. And I hope only you and I get to read this and no one who frequents Serious Discussion gets to see this. I am trying to bypass Serious Discussion. I am looking at writing monologues like this as a template of sorts to talk sbout issues that others would deem "serious".

And since no one (at least most people) takes what I write seriously and that is very intentional, I don't think I will have to suffer reading posts of people debating about things that matter very little to them and them thinking that what that does not matter to them really matters a lot to them.
leonard267 wrote...
Giant, I have to tell you this. And I hope only you and I get to read this and no one who frequents Serious Discussion gets to see this. I am trying to bypass Serious Discussion. I am looking at writing monologues like this as a template of sorts to talk about issues that others would deem "serious".

And since no one (at least most people) takes what I write seriously and that is very intentional, I don't think I will have to suffer reading posts of people debating about things that matter very little to them and them thinking that what that does not matter to them really matters a lot to them.

I can see your point there how something that means so little to someone could actually mean a lot to them, and how that erupts into a serious discussion. I guess serious discussions are just ways to troll several people at the same time, but I do that on Facebook all the time about abortions, racism, and other "hot topics."
Finishing this, I am rather conflicted by summer as well. Lol. Though I think this barely counts as a story, the humor within it made it a well worth it read, especially the marriage jokes being mandatory.

My friend, you and I definitely need a drink. I'll pay the first round ^^
Find_Vega wrote...
Finishing this, I am rather conflicted by summer as well. Lol. Though I think this barely counts as a story, the humor within it made it a well worth it read, especially the marriage jokes being mandatory.

My friend, you and I definitely need a drink. I'll pay the first round ^^

You will have to give me water or perhaps a soft drink. If you give me alcohol chances are I will fall asleep.
Pages Prev12