[Winter Contest Entry 2015] Mother Knows Best

Pages 12Next
Thought about writing this when I saw an article from Animal Planet about the topic. Pretty different from my usual works in that this one is actually pretty heavy on dialogue. Tried to experiment a bit with using bold and italics. Hope you guys enjoy reading this!

Story:
Spoiler:

Mother Knows Best

Blood streamed down from his head to his toes. The unsanitary grey concrete floor was dyed red.

The scrawny killer slowly gnawed at his flesh, tearing and devouring the tendons and ligaments of his body.

I could only stand in horror at the sight before me.

“Oh, Judas, you’re up!” The murderer called out to me.

I could not reply at all. The gruesome view made my stomach churn as the gastric acids within me found their way to my throat and back.

She approached me, her teeth still gleaming crimson, and gave me a peck on the cheek.
She probably noticed the expression on my face.

“You see, son, there are times when sacrifices must be made. Only the strong will survive in this world we currently live in. Which is why I made your little brother, the weakest among you siblings thus far, avoid the hardships he would encounter as a weakling in society. He couldn’t scavenge for scraps of food, nor could he forage for sustenance on the fields.”

Silence was my only retort to Mother’s statement.

“Also, honey.” She might have realized my lack of contentment. “Food has grown scarce where we live. If only we had more food, then we wouldn’t have needed to do this. The less we are in the family, the more food there will be for each of us, and to keep you all alive, I had to get rid of the weakest link. Of course,” She then wiped her mouth on a piece of cloth, “we are sources of nutrients ourselves.”

She gave me one last peck on the cheek before she turned her back on me and made her way to her quarters.

“It’s time to get back to bed! Come on now, we have a whole day of rummaging for food tomorrow.”
She disappeared as her figure melded into the darkness.

“If what mother said is true then... If I’m able to get enough food for all of us, I wouldn’t have to lose any more of my family!”

Vigor and determination surged within me as I received a new purpose for life.

“As the eldest, I-I can’t let my siblings down!”

I won’t let them die. I’ll keep them alive.

“I guess it wasn’t a dream after all…”

As I woke up the next day, I scoured my surroundings in search of my little brother but to no avail. The place where the incident occurred still had streaks of blood; its odor poisoned the air.

Why did he have to die?

I then proceeded to the dining area. The midnight’s scavenging made a pile of food which was evenly distributed to the members of the family. Of course, Mother has more food since she’s growing quite old.

As everyone received their share of food, a question was raised by a sibling of mine.

“Mother, where’s John?”

She then put up a face of anguish. With tears streaming down her face, Mother replied to him.

“Your little brother, John, he...”

A deafening silence loomed over the room.

“He was attacked by a predator!”

“What?”

Well it truly was a predator that attacked him in the first place.

What am I thinking!? That’s not what I-

“I found his body this morning with scratches and bite marks all over! I’ve already taken his body far away so that you all wouldn’t have to see his condition...”

The silence continued.

“However...” Mother said, breaking the silence, “Let us not let his death leave us only grief and sorrow. His death has bestowed upon us an important lesson! We currently live in an environment scarce of food. Creatures in our vicinity are growing desperate for nutrition! Your little brother was too scrawny and weak and could not confront the dangers of the wild. We all must grow stronger in order to defend ourselves against them! We must gather as much food as we can! We must do this in the memory of your fallen brother!”

Why did mother have to lie about John?

Why do you think? Isn’t it obvious? She just wants to devour everyone else.

No! Stop it! Mother isn’t like that!

“Yes, Mother!” My siblings howled in tears as they vigorously scarfed through their servings.

Despite my firm belief of Mother’s innocence, I still made my way to her chambers that night after the midnight’s scavenging, just so I could silence the voice within me that doubted her.

Ironically, I was the one silenced.

I told you so.

Blood streamed down from his head to his toes. The unsanitary grey concrete floor was dyed red.

Mother slowly gnawed at his flesh, tearing and devouring the tendons and ligaments of his body.

I could only stand in horror at the sight before me.

“Oh, Judas, you’re up!” Mother called out to me. “What can I help you with at this time of night?”

“Mother... why do this again...?”

She paused for a moment, and gazed into my eyes.

“Son.” She said as she turned around and wiped her mouth on a piece of cloth. “You might not understand, but us females, when we give labor, we don’t truly recover from the pain. Every time we give labor, it chips away at our energy and stamina reserves, much like how time ages our bodies and slowly does the same.”

What will you do, Judas?

“As someone who suffers from age and the consequences of labor, I must consume much more food than you young ones.”

In the end, didn’t John just die to satisfy Mother’s greed?

No! Mother did that for a perfectly logical reason! She did it for the good of our family!

But what is she saying now? Isn’t she just talking about herself? Think about it. Wasn’t she the one who said something about getting rid of the weakest link?

That’s not—

Just who is truly the weakest link right now? She consumes more food, yet works the least due to her age.

Shut up!

Are you just going to deny the fact that two of your siblings have fallen to your Mother because of her desperation to live? Are you just going to accept her equivocations? Are you just going to let your siblings’ death be in vain?

“Judas?”

Only the strong will survive in this world we currently live in. That’s why she killed John right? Why not follow what she said and do the same to the weakest link right now? Mother should understand why you would do so. She’s done it before after all.

“I’m sorry, Mother, but... I can’t let my siblings down. I won’t let them die. I’ll keep them alive.”

“I guess it wasn’t a dream after all…”

As I woke up the next day, I checked Mother’s chamber. The place where the incident occurred still had streaks of blood; its odor poisoned the air.

Open only after the story:
Spoiler:
Also, yeah, rats can be cannibals given an environment with scarce food and water.
A good read. You really do a good job in personifying and creating a human-like perspective into animals (like salmons *wink wink*).

Experimenting with how you present your work if very fun, with the bold and italicized words/sentences, these lines exude much more feeling and force, especially with the emboldened ones, while the italicized ones give me an impression of weaker, defiant, and backed-against-the-wall effect.

For me, the story was quite straightforward. Pointing out that there are two paths of an elderly to take. One which the eldest sibling took, and the one the mother took.

I made a mistake in reading the second spoiler before the story, as such, I wasn't able to revel in the twist (or true nature of the characters) in the story.

Your writing style is very interesting (or rather, chosen participants of the story), especially when you omit the part where the characters are supposed to be animal and a reader would take them as humans. I remember last year when you only revealed the main character was a fish that goes about its natural life cycle in the end. That was a good twist (I am quite the fan of twists and surprises in stories). Personally, when I write, I do not give much thought about the random critter scuttling about the sidelines while the main characters go about their lives - which is why I find your style of writing, quite refreshing. Another thing that I would like to point out is that there is a lot of philosophical undertones in your writing, so much so that I engage in some contemplation in the aftermath of reading your story. Again, those kinds of works are the ones that I enjoy.

Best of luck in your entry!
Ryuuchamashi wrote...
A good read. You really do a good job in personifying and creating a human-like perspective into animals (like salmons *wink wink*).

Experimenting with how you present your work if very fun, with the bold and italicized words/sentences, these lines exude much more feeling and force, especially with the emboldened ones, while the italicized ones give me an impression of weaker, defiant, and backed-against-the-wall effect.

For me, the story was quite straightforward. Pointing out that there are two paths of an elderly to take. One which the eldest sibling took, and the one the mother took.

I made a mistake in reading the second spoiler before the story, as such, I wasn't able to revel in the twist (or true nature of the characters) in the story.

Your writing style is very interesting (or rather, chosen participants of the story), especially when you omit the part where the characters are supposed to be animal and a reader would take them as humans. I remember last year when you only revealed the main character was a fish that goes about its natural life cycle in the end. That was a good twist (I am quite the fan of twists and surprises in stories). Personally, when I write, I do not give much thought about the random critter scuttling about the sidelines while the main characters go about their lives - which is why I find your style of writing, quite refreshing. Another thing that I would like to point out is that there is a lot of philosophical undertones in your writing, so much so that I engage in some contemplation in the aftermath of reading your story. Again, those kinds of works are the ones that I enjoy.

Best of luck in your entry!

Thanks for the comments! I can now heave a sigh of relief knowing that my experiment with bold and italics was understandable enough. I'm really glad that my works were able to achieve their goals of somewhat haunting the reader after they experience the story haha. (Sorry for the spoiler thing, I've fixed it by saying to open the second one only after reading the story)
I can now heave a sigh of relief knowing that my experiment with bold and italics was understandable enough.

Taking risks is rewarding, I do hope that I see you rerouting your unusual but interesting writing style of yours in different avenues.

I'm really glad that my works were able to achieve their goals of somewhat haunting the reader after they experience the story haha.

You sly son of a gun :)

Sorry for the spoiler thing, I've fixed it by saying to open the second one only after reading the story.

It was my own fault. Still, fixing it works better, glad that you reflected upon it.

Mind if I ask: Why do you choose to make stories of personified animal lives? I'm curious.
Ryuuchamashi wrote...

Taking risks is rewarding, I do hope that I see you rerouting your unusual but interesting writing style of yours in different avenues.

I hope so too.

Ryuuchamashi wrote...

You sly son of a gun :)

Huehuehue.

Ryuuchamashi wrote...

Mind if I ask: Why do you choose to make stories of personified animal lives? I'm curious.

To be honest, I'm not really sure myself. When I join writing competitions, I honestly don't think about the theme first. I wait for something interesting to catch my attention and somehow force the theme/s into that topic. If I were to quote what I said to Xenon a while back though, "I guess those ideas show up when I brainstorm because I tend to look for humanity in inhuman things."
Mother's dialogue in the first scene needs work. It doesn't sound very natural to me, especially this line in particular:

“Food has grown scarce where we live.

It sounds like something the narrator should already know. It comes off as something that's being said purely for the sake of the reader.

Why did mother have to lie about John?

Why do you think? Isn’t it obvious? She just wants to devour everyone else.

No! Stop it! Mother isn’t like that!

At this point in the story, the conflict is kinda iffy. While what the bold dialogue suggests turns out to be true later on, at this point when the Mother lies, I thought it was because she doesn't want to force this hardship on the other siblings. This seemed so obvious to me at the time, that it baffled me that it doesn't occur to the narrator.

It's clear from the first two scenes that the story is setting up some kind of conflict between the narrator and the Mother, and I was satisfied with the way that comes to a head. It doesn't go down the way I expected it to. The repetition of certain phrases was a bit of a hit or miss for me.

I won’t let them die. I’ll keep them alive.”

I liked that one in particular. Both times it's said, the narrator intends to do something very different.

Overall, it's an interesting idea, but I think there are a couple places where it needs work.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Mother's dialogue in the first scene needs work. It doesn't sound very natural to me, especially this line in particular:

“Food has grown scarce where we live.

It sounds like something the narrator should already know. It comes off as something that's being said purely for the sake of the reader.

I agree. I'm not really good at dialogues and it's something I tried to practice with on this work as well. As for the quote, I was thinking along the lines of Mother saying that to "educate" Judas, though I do see where you're coming from.

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...

At this point in the story, the conflict is kinda iffy. While what the bold dialogue suggests turns out to be true later on, at this point when the Mother lies, I thought it was because she doesn't want to force this hardship on the other siblings. This seemed so obvious to me at the time, that it baffled me that it doesn't occur to the narrator.

This was an error on my part. I wasn't able to properly establish within the story that although Judas is the eldest sibling, he's still a child, hence, he is very gullible.

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...

It's clear from the first two scenes that the story is setting up some kind of conflict between the narrator and the Mother, and I was satisfied with the way that comes to a head. It doesn't go down the way I expected it to. The repetition of certain phrases was a bit of a hit or miss for me.

I won’t let them die. I’ll keep them alive.”

I liked that one in particular. Both times it's said, the narrator intends to do something very different.

The repetition of certain phrases was meant to emphasize the difference of the quoted line from the first part, with how it was used in the latter part, though I guess that was unnecessary (or at least I wasn't able to do it to a satisfying degree).

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...

Overall, it's an interesting idea, but I think there are a couple places where it needs work.

Honestly, you've really helped me a lot with my writing through the advice you've given and your comments on my past works. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!
I agree. I'm not really good at dialogues and it's something I tried to practice with on this work as well. As for the quote, I was thinking along the lines of Mother saying that to "educate" Judas, though I do see where you're coming from.

I see what you mean. It may have been easier for me to buy into the dialogue if I had more characterization of the mother before hand.

Honestly, you've really helped me a lot with my writing through the advice you've given and your comments on my past works. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!

No problem at all. It's kinda part of the reason we're all here, isn't it?
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
This entry made me peckish for rat meat especially after opening the spoiler. Will elaborate further my thoughts on this entry as soon as the results are out.
leonard267 wrote...
This entry made me peckish for rat meat especially after opening the spoiler. Will elaborate further my thoughts on this entry as soon as the results are out.

Make sure to clean that rat meat thoroughly! I look forward to your thoughts on it! (And by "it" I mean my entry, not the rat meat)
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
RavenxSinon wrote...
leonard267 wrote...

Make sure to clean that rat meat thoroughly! I look forward to your thoughts on it! (And by "it" I mean my entry, not the rat meat)

In the meantime, would you like to read something I wrote for the event just to pass time?

https://www.fakku.net/forums/writing-and-fanfiction/winter-non-entry-2015-an-attempt-at-comedy-about-an-old-man
i do like the story development on this one, the characters and their motives drew me in and i was rather invested in them. i felt rather turned off by the ending though, it felt rather inconclusive to me. i really want to know what exactly happen as i anticipated it, not left by open-ended things.

it may just be me though.

well, if only this do have an ending that gives me what i wanted, this could be my favorite for this event. overall, i do like this story a lot. so nice job :D
leonard267 wrote...

In the meantime, would you like to read something I wrote for the event just to pass time?

https://www.fakku.net/forums/writing-and-fanfiction/winter-non-entry-2015-an-attempt-at-comedy-about-an-old-man

Sure! I'll drop by and leave a comment though I might not be able to do it soon since school's gonna start again soon so I gotta prepare some stuff.
high_time wrote...
i do like the story development on this one, the characters and their motives drew me in and i was rather invested in them.

I was thinking I might not have given the characters enough background characterization, but I'm glad that even without it, the characters are still relatable.

high_time wrote...

i felt rather turned off by the ending though, it felt rather inconclusive to me. i really want to know what exactly happen as i anticipated it, not left by open-ended things.

That's one of the risks I took with this story. I took a risk of ending my story kinda open to interpretation as to what would happen to Judas and his family in the future, and I completely understand if you didn't like it. I just thought that while some people might like being spoon-fed the exact happenings of the characters' futures, I also thought that there may be those who prefer to leave what happens next to their imagination and in the end, I catered to the latter.

high_time wrote...

well, if only this do have an ending that gives me what i wanted, this could be my favorite for this event. overall, i do like this story a lot. so nice job :D

Well, that's reassuring to hear from a judge. Thanks a lot, and best of luck to you as well in your debut as a judge!

EDIT: Sorry, my awful memory acted up, making me think it was your first time judging. Anyway, best of luck to you as well in your duties as a judge! Must be kinda difficult I guess, considering the quality of the works submitted this time.
Well, that was a enjoyable read.

Really, bro? That was disgusting!

In a good way, right?

Er, since when 'disgusting' have a positive meaning?

Well, clearly that's the point of the author was going for. And I give credits where credits are due.

And give him lashing where lashing are due too, bro.

I'm not your bro! And you can't deny the good things in this story.

Spoiler:
He gave us a refreshing take on humans' natures through the lenses of animals. That's a commendable effort on its own. Though short, he could clearly show the idea he wanted to present here. Like one of my philosophies of writing "Brevity is the soul of wits" - William Shakespeare - this obviously scores points in my book. Though underlying, this story is more thought-provoking the more we think about it.

The characters, they were great. I mean, they are simple creatures, that's for sure, but because they are so simple that they can perfectly convey a one-dimensional perspective about things, so there's no gray area. We don't need their backgrounds or family history, but serves purposes we can clearly appreciate. It's easy to relate to their reasons of actions.

And grammars too. I haven't found any errors in this story. You think you can achieve it that easy? You can say he wrote a short story, so there's less of a margin for errors, but it's your own fault if you write a 2000-word story then mess up in your grammar department.

Eh, it's a bit of a long stretch, isn't it? Let me tell you about the bad things in this story, and you know I always win this kind of conversation, simply because I write in bold.

Spoiler:
First off, the settings was just so. . .

Maybe I'll speak softly, heh.

First off, the settings was just so weird, you know? Yeah, it's rats and concrete floor inside filthy condo is where they live, but this is (supposedly, but I can see through it right away, heh heh) a fantasy settings where the location is yet unknown. I can't imagine 'concrete floors' and 'scavenging for scraps of food' on a 'field' being linked together in a believable way. I would buy it much harder if they were in a 'actual' field, with grass and coldness at nights and 'real' dangers of predators.

Secondly, the characters were just so far-fetched that it couldn't be that relatable. I mean, I can clearly see that these characters are not humans, simply because humans don't "gnawed", "devouring" and "howled", bro. It was something out of our world. Hell, rats don't howl. Yeah, they are (again, supposedly) just vessels for the author's ideas, but I'm not convinced by otherworldly creatures with different morals and ways of life. Let's go into more details about our two 'main' characters.

Judas (great name by the way): he's the hero of this story, apparently. Driven by his will of saving his brothers and sisters, he went great lengths doing so. But why is that? Why is this eldest brother feel like he has the duty to protect his siblings? I would have love to know more about that. Heh, I do agree that we don't need much history here, but this is the driving force of this story. His moral is in the question here, so I need to know more about that. See, this part right here “If what mother said is true then... If I’m able to get enough food for all of us, I wouldn’t have to lose any more of my family!” is the gray area right here. He can be thinking "Damn, I nidda get m'groove on yo, or I get snacked." for all we know because he hadn't demonstrated his morality elsewhere. Another thing is that, he doesn't actually have reasons to be split between himself. Why is there a 'light side'? Just because she is his mother? She did not promise him survival or a reason to believe anything she said. She did not seems to have offered any family protection or much else (a family member had just been 'killed by predators'). There is no benefits in being a 'light side'. So I feel like the whole basis of this piece which built upon has just crumbled.

Mother (terrible name): actually she is fine in her job, being creepy evil and all. Though, I would beg her to do her 'things' somewhere far from the family sleeping place, seems like she doesn't like them to know or anything. Or was it her plan to strike fear into one of the children? If that's it, then apparently it backfire on her. Oh wait, but was it her even grander plan all along to make Judas want to kill her? That would make for food for the whole family, making him a dependable person in place of her old body and she even did the killings of two of the weakest members of the family, too, so that Judas won't have to feel bad about having to do it later eventually. That is, like, Itachi Uchiha all over again.

This brings me to my third point. What is it that we take out from the story? What is the pacific lesson we are suppose to learn here? It's a interpretation of a nature of a kind of animal, and what they do, so what am I able learn from this? For me, little else besides a fascinating natural fact. It can be looked at the 'bigger picture', as one might say, that this represent humans' society as a whole and it's about power, who rise to the top will be the top of the food chain. If so, then it is so very conflicted with the events that obviously happened in the story, the son defied his mother to save his siblings. Though he can become his very own evil that he is fighting for, like the usual development to this story if you might imagine so, that is a very forced idea of cliché-ness. And he seems to harbor immense feelings for his siblings too. So this story present two ideas, the brother who has courage and common sense to do the right thing, and the story of power rising and stepping on others to survive, and it's a messy grey area. It's not they grey area is unacceptable, I can't find a place to trust here, and it just seems confused as a story when there is no central idea. Or is the grey area is the central idea, it seems like all the rage these days. I don't like it.

And here's even some things to improve upon for the author, in no particular order of related subjects I have touched upon:

• The unsanitary grey concrete floor was dyed red.

It would have more impact for a setting if it was a clean concrete floor. I mean, I don't care if there a new stain on a already dirty floor, that is the garage. I would if it's in my living room.

• made her way to her quarters.

It just sounds way too regal for this kind of environments.

• A deafening silence

I haven't read this kind of expression anywhere, but not judging (I kinda am).

• as I received a new purpose for life.

I'm curious to know about his old purpose though. Was he inspired to be an artist?

• "We must do this in the memory of your fallen brother!”

Again, they didn't seem to be speaking the Queen's English and this was a dinner, not a motivation speech before a battle. Maybe 'unlucky' or even 'dead' would have sufficed.

• made my way to her chambers that night

I'm feeling more and more likely that they live in a castle right now, but then why is their floor dirty in the first place?

• I checked Mother’s chamber. The place where the incident occurred still had streaks of blood; its odor poisoned the air.

Yup, their servants are not doing their jobs properly, but it's most likely that they were 'killed by predators' also.

Sheesh, you don't have to write an essay about it.

Eh, I just like to bash at people, it's fun you know.

But this story is kinda like our entry this year, right? And we seem to be in the same poll at this one. Wish him luck.

Yeah, I already gave here a link here. And everybody knows I'm the better writer.

You did what? Won't that make us seems really stuck-up?

Eh.

What you mean by 'Eh'? Damn you.

Take it easy bro.

Spoiler:
Oh yeah, author, was that piece of about laboring scientifically true, because I heard rats can breed up to 4-5 times a year and, like, 10 infant rats each time? That's why rats can be such a pain.

EDIT: I started writing this even before high_time post the comment here, so here's some more things I want to talk about.

Spoiler:
RavenxSinon wrote...
high_time wrote...
i do like the story development on this one, the characters and their motives drew me in and i was rather invested in them.

I was thinking I might not have given the characters enough background characterization, but I'm glad that even without it, the characters are still relatable.

RavenxSinon wrote...
high_time wrote...

i felt rather turned off by the ending though, it felt rather inconclusive to me. i really want to know what exactly happen as i anticipated it, not left by open-ended things.

That's one of the risks I took with this story. I took a risk of ending my story kinda open to interpretation as to what would happen to Judas and his family in the future, and I completely understand if you didn't like it. I just thought that while some people might like being spoon-fed the exact happenings of the characters' futures, I also thought that there may be those who prefer to leave what happens next to their imagination and in the end, I catered to the latter.

I had problems with both of these things, like I said above.

RavenxSinon wrote...
in your debut as a judge!

I'm sure that he was one of the judges for last year's winter event? Or because I read about his comments about everybody's works in a separate circumstances? Either way, he has been here for a long time now.
Dawn_of_Dark

Setting:
Spoiler:

I based the description of the setting on what I see in my country. Where I'm from, even if a house is situated on a field (my bad, I didn't clarify this as a farming field), more often than not the houses still have concrete floors. Though I do admit that it would have been better if I dropped the idea of having them live in some random house and made the setting just in the fields themselves lol.

"Secondly":
Spoiler:

Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
but I'm not convinced by otherworldly creatures with different morals and ways of life.

Guess I wasn't able to convince you through the usage of symbolism then. I understand that it's my responsibility though since I chose to have non-humans as main characters. It's my responsibility to somehow get humans to connect with non-humans through my style of writing (which I unfortunately was unable to do here with you).

Judas:
Spoiler:

As with what I told d, this was an error of mine. Although Judas is the eldest sibling, I failed to clarify that he's still young and thus, gullible. This gullibility then was supposedly the source of his way of thinking of "As the eldest brother, I have to do what I can for my siblings", and also this gullibility is the reason for Judas's falling for Mother's equivocation. The light side symbolized Judas's young, gullible self who loved his Mother and siblings without reserve. The reason why there's conflict between his "light side" and his "dark side" (which was supposedly like his animal instinct taking over him), was because he's conflicted between the trust he has for his Mother, leading him to blindly following whatever she says, and the animal instinct within him that tells him to kill his Mother before it comes to the point that more of his siblings would be eaten. As for "Damn, I nidda get m'groove on yo, or I get snacked." It's not really about "getting more food = I don't get eaten", but more of "getting more food = The other siblings don't have to worry about the share of food that was lost due to John's death once they see how much food I can get". "She did not promise him survival or a reason to believe anything she said." She didn't have to. Mother was appealing to the side of Judas that did whatever he can and believed whatever he heard that would be for the sake of his family.

Mother:
Spoiler:

"Though, I would beg her to do her 'things' somewhere far from the family sleeping place, seems like she doesn't like them to know or anything" This is most likely an effect of my lack of inclusion of more characterization. Supposedly, she's doing this since she thinks she can equivocate her way through the minds of her children. "That is, like, Itachi Uchiha all over again." Hate to admit it but I guess this situation is somewhat reminiscent of him lol.

Lesson:
Spoiler:

As with most of my works, I usually don't keep a "what lesson can the reader take from the story" thing in mind while I write. So, if you found a lesson that conflicted with another lesson that can be possibly found in the story, then that would be my bad for failing to cover up that loophole.

Deafening Silence

Fallen Brother:
Spoiler:

Actually, yeah, "fallen" is a bit too much hahaha

Laboring:
Spoiler:

From what I recall, yes, they do give birth to around 10-12 babies at a time, however there is a period of weakness of around a month after giving birth. (Or so I recall)
RavenxSinon wrote...
"Secondly":
Spoiler:

Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
but I'm not convinced by otherworldly creatures with different morals and ways of life.

Guess I wasn't able to convince you through the usage of symbolism then. I understand that it's my responsibility though since I chose to have non-humans as main characters. It's my responsibility to somehow get humans to connect with non-humans through my style of writing (which I unfortunately was unable to do here with you).

It can be just my own problem, but I can be literal and formulaic at times, and being really mushy and sensitive at any other times. That is to say, somehow your story just make me want to see it with a 'very scientific eye' that is nature has it own way of existence that has nothing to do with humans' values or morals.

I don't like it, but that doesn't mean I don't give it credits for what it is. Of course I get your symbolism of things, but it couldn't make an impact for me.

RavenxSinon wrote...
Judas:
Spoiler:

As with what I told d, this was an error of mine. Although Judas is the eldest sibling, I failed to clarify that he's still young and thus, gullible. This gullibility then was supposedly the source of his way of thinking of "As the eldest brother, I have to do what I can for my siblings", and also this gullibility is the reason for Judas's falling for Mother's equivocation. The light side symbolized Judas's young, gullible self who loved his Mother and siblings without reserve. The reason why there's conflict between his "light side" and his "dark side" (which was supposedly like his animal instinct taking over him), was because he's conflicted between the trust he has for his Mother, leading him to blindly following whatever she says, and the animal instinct within him that tells him to kill his Mother before it comes to the point that more of his siblings would be eaten. As for "Damn, I nidda get m'groove on yo, or I get snacked." It's not really about "getting more food = I don't get eaten", but more of "getting more food = The other siblings don't have to worry about the share of food that was lost due to John's death once they see how much food I can get". "She did not promise him survival or a reason to believe anything she said." She didn't have to. Mother was appealing to the side of Judas that did whatever he can and believed whatever he heard that would be for the sake of his family.

Maybe I said it in an unclear way. The reason for me to say that 'Why was Judas trust his mother when there's no reasons to' is because that, you didn't present any. Let me elaborate.

It is of course an universal idea that you should love your family unconditionally, but in different cultures and specific personal circumstances, this idea can exist in many forms. While in Asian (Confucian, Chinese-rooted) cultures, it is of utmost importance that one take care of one's family, in every aspects (honor, well-being, finances,...), which is the idea of filial piety, it's not upheld so much in Western countries, because they pride on individualism much more. In other word, in Asian countries, Group > Individual, and in Western countries, Individual > Group.

This applies to Judas's case and your story as well. Why is is that make Judas so determined on saving their siblings and believe his mother unconditionally, while clearly she is being psycho-maniacal? It would be so much more convincing, if you had included some background as simple as "Our family has only relied on each other since my birth, we have survived all this time together, so there's no way Mother is going ga-ga now, right? Right?". Same thing with the "Damn, I nidda get m'groove on yo, or I get snacked." part I told you. In that very instance, Judas has two stream of thoughts that he can choose to believe: 1. I have to get food and save my siblings vs. 2. I have to get food or I'll get eaten. There wasn't any build-up for when he decide this major plot point. He did not talk about how he and his siblings are very close-knitted. He chose that path, because you told us so, not because we readers believed it so. And that, in my opinion, is why the basis of this character wasn't there, so that why I said "whole basis of this piece which built upon has just crumbled.", I can't see this character for what he is anymore.
Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
but it couldn't make an impact for me.

That's a recurring problem for me. A lot of the stuff I write often lack impact (which is a part of my style of writing I hope to improve in the future).

Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
In other word, in Asian countries, Group > Individual, and in Western countries, Individual > Group.

I see. As someone from an Asian country, I'll admit I wasn't able to take into consideration that fact. I guess I should have established a clear setting after all or maybe I should have put up a situation for their family that would establish their intense need and love for one another (I completely forgot to add in a bit about the Father). Well from what you've stated, I can see why you said that the "whole basis of this piece which built upon has just crumbled." I overlooked too many things while writing the story. Thanks for taking the time to speak with me about my work. I'll keep in mind the comments you had for it for my future works.

By the way, I'm sorry for my late reply. I had to prepare some stuff since our break from school is about to end.
RavenxSinon wrote...
That's a recurring problem for me. A lot of the stuff I write often lack impact (which is a part of my style of writing I hope to improve in the future).

Practice makes perfect, so they say.

Thanks for taking the time to speak with me about my work. I'll keep in mind the comments you had for it for my future works.

No problemo. I love saying bad things about other people (jk).

RavenxSinon wrote...
By the way, I'm sorry for my late reply. I had to prepare some stuff since our break from school is about to end.

Me too. Going back to school tomorrow can be such a drag, haha.

(I completely forgot to add in a bit about the Father)

You and Sound of Destiny (in his case, the mother). It's kinda funny to see how you can overlook such a significant detail.

Speaking of which, congratulations to you (and him) going to the finals. It was well earned.
Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
No problemo. I love saying bad things about other people (jk).

And I love hearing bad things from other people (jk).

Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
Me too. Going back to school tomorrow can be such a drag, haha.

Well, good luck to both of us in our school work haha.

Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
You and Sound of Destiny (in his case, the mother). It's kinda funny to see how you can overlook such a significant detail.

Yeah, I found it funny too, especially considering the fact that we both had our debut here on the Writing and Fanfiction Forum on last year's Winter contest haha!

Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
Speaking of which, congratulations to you (and him) going to the finals. It was well earned.

(And to Cinia)Thanks! Hope to see you on the next contest!
Pages 12Next