[Anime] Selector Spread WIXOSS (Autumn 2014)

Pages 123Next
Step aside, Yugioh and Cardfight Vanguard.

A new anime title featuring a fictional card game is going to hit our screens in Spring 2014. Our female protagonist, Kominato Ruuko, is a middle schooler with few friends. When she first opens the box containing the card game entitled "Wixoss", she encounters a female character, Tama, informing her that the winner of these card battles will have his/her wish granted.

Although lacking in the ecchi fanservice department, the dark atmosphere of the PV caught my attention.

Apart from the above PV, I am unable to view anything else on their official anime site: http://selector-wixoss.com. Or is it just me?
I read the description earlier today and it had caught my interest, but I hadn't seen the PV until now. Now I am definitely watching it. It seems like it'll be the underdog champ of the season. I'm really looking forward to this.

As for the website...I have no problem navigating the site.
Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://puu.sh/7Rd83.jpg
Forum Image: http://puu.sh/7Rdej.jpg
Forum Image: http://puu.sh/7Rdkg.jpg
Saw the trailer the other day, looking forward to this one.
Thank goodness there does not appear to be a romantic interest in the PV. Now I can only hope the wishes the characters want to be granted are actually meaningful.
brok3n butterfly wrote...
Thank goodness there does not appear to be a romantic interest in the PV. Now I can only hope the wishes the characters want to be granted are actually meaningful.

Probably going to go in a yuri(-esq) direction, considering the whole cast, or the ones worth mentioning in pv, are female, and the direction of anime in the last few years with "all female" cast.

As for the wishes... based off the premise... I have my doubts, but the atmosphere looks interesting enough. I'll be watching this for an indeterminate amount of time.
Episode 1 is out. It was okay... I don't know, kind of felt like it was trying too hard to be dark and edgy. I'll give it another episode or two. Everything seems way too obvious and predictable though. At least the main girl and her card were cute.
Feels very Puella Magi,
Spoiler:
interested in seeing how Tama will ruin the MC's choice to play the game.
WideEyedMan wrote...
Feels very Puella Magi.

I concur. Just that some white-cute-looking-but-actually-possessing-hidden-motives creature is replaced by a card game.

We shall see how the storyline unravels in the upcoming episodes.
Selector Infected Weak Sauce.
Episode 1
Spoiler:
Madoka

This seems like it will attempt to be a Madoka. Female lead thinks its a meaningless game but has a ton of power, and a world ending level event is being foreshadowed. The twin incest I hope will be good. Just waiting for Homura and the "this shit is real, female lead" sacrifice (Mami).

That said, it looks like it will be interesting enough to watch to the end.
(Since everyone is saying it looks like Madoka, I guess I should stop procrastinating picking up the series... Guess I'll download it tonight.)

As for the 1st...
Spoiler:
Boring protagonist, but interesting grandmother backstory. Kinda wanted more from the childhood friend/brother character, they dropped him really quick barely giving us anything.

Episode preview
Spoiler:
And it doesn't seem like it's going to give us more in that regard. Simply one-sided development (jealousy) from her new friend.

This is all I took away from the first episode... maybe a... "at least in Yu-Gi-Oh they stood while battling... are they going to express serious emotional turmoil while sitting the whole time?" thought crossed my mind.
Episode 2... yeah, dropped.
Ep.2

Spoiler:
I expected Akira to be different than she portrays herself but holy shit she is blood-thirsty. I'm liking the sadism here. I'm not surprised that Hitoe got wrecked. Who shall be the Mami of the season...

Coooooooooommmmme oooooon episode 3!
Well I guess I put my expectations too high, this anime sucks. Against better judgement I'll give it one more round.
In the terms of loli and moe, this anime win against Vanguard and YuGiOh.

In the terms of story, and card game awesomeness, this is losing to vanguard (which is already losing to YuGiOh in terms of plot).
Episode 2
Spoiler:
Again, a little iffy with the battle system. Is it turn-based or real-time strategy? Because towards the end it seems like Akira has been on the roll there, while Hitoe pretty much broke down after one card is taken, and then she broke waaaaaay down when all her cards is gone. Couldn't Hitoe summon one more card after that sparrow freeze, and after her card got taken? I mean, she got two cards left. Why didn't she use them? Do they only have one freaking slot for a card? They could've put a few more. Though, it may be different from how other card games are played. Someone correct me on these few questions if I did misunderstood some parts.

This rant may be a little too much since the series is still in the early phase. I pray that the battle system gets explained properly as the story goes on rather than it throwing visually fantastic battles in front of our faces while expecting us to make assumptions on how things work. Even if this anime's main theme was the predicted dark psychological theme that surrounds the characters, they could've still tell us a bit more about how the battle works. Not how it starts, nor how it ends. But the process. Again, correct me on this one if I did missed out on something that have probably been explained in the episodes already.

Now to focus on the story. That Akira needs to be nerfed, seriously. Though probably Yuzuki's card could evenly match hers. And that incest. You could see that things are about to go down when Yuzuki's done with her battle in the next episode. I will watch the next episode just to see how things turn out. The battles will probably put me in a ranting mood again but I just hope the story turned out alright. The only scene that I find enjoyable, regardless of whether it's a true or false translation...

Forum Image: http://i5.minus.com/iw3h4yac5TgoT.png
Odamust wrote...
Episode 2
Spoiler:
Again, a little iffy with the battle system. Is it turn-based or real-time strategy? Because towards the end it seems like Akira has been on the roll there, while Hitoe pretty much broke down after one card is taken, and then she broke waaaaaay down when all her cards is gone. Couldn't Hitoe summon one more card after that sparrow freeze, and after her card got taken? I mean, she got two cards left. Why didn't she use them? Do they only have one freaking slot for a card? They could've put a few more. Though, it may be different from how other card games are played. Someone correct me on these few questions if I did misunderstood some parts.

This rant may be a little too much since the series is still in the early phase. I pray that the battle system gets explained properly as the story goes on rather than it throwing visually fantastic battles in front of our faces while expecting us to make assumptions on how things work. Even if this anime's main theme was the predicted dark psychological theme that surrounds the characters, they could've still tell us a bit more about how the battle works. Not how it starts, nor how it ends. But the process. Again, correct me on this one if I did missed out on something that have probably been explained in the episodes already.

Now to focus on the story. That Akira needs to be nerfed, seriously. Though probably Yuzuki's card could evenly match hers. And that incest. You could see that things are about to go down when Yuzuki's done with her battle in the next episode. I will watch the next episode just to see how things turn out. The battles will probably put me in a ranting mood again but I just hope the story turned out alright. The only scene that I find enjoyable, regardless of whether it's a true or false translation...

WIXOSS rules and gameplay

Episode 3
Spoiler:
With Hitoe and incest-chan both at 2 losses now, I'm looking forward to their next battles. I was hoping to get a bit of foreshadowing when Tama evolved. Hopefully next week Akira loses and something big happens.
Odamust wrote...
Episode 2
Spoiler:

Episode 3
Spoiler:
With Hitoe and incest-chan both at 2 losses now, I'm looking forward to their next battles. I was hoping to get a bit of foreshadowing when Tama evolved. Hopefully next week Akira loses and something big happens.

So they expect us to know this beforehand, eh? Though I guess it's for promotion sake.
Odamust wrote...
Odamust wrote...
Episode 2
Spoiler:

Episode 3
Spoiler:

So they expect us to know this beforehand, eh? Though I guess it's for promotion sake.

Since WIXOSS is an actual game it seems so. It couldn't have hurt if they put in a scene where the rules are explained to Grandma/viewers though.

Maybe WIXOSS is a big thing in Japan and the rules are common knowledge among their viewer demographic, or maybe they only expected fans of the TCG to watch. Regardless a quick explanation would've been appreciated.
Pages 123Next