The WRITER'S Lounge

leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
This is The Writer's Lounge which was suggested by my good friend high_time quite some time ago to serve ostensibly as a chatroom for proper writers, self-proclaimed writers and the ever ubiquitous non-writers. At one point of time however I was convinced that the title of the Lounge ought to be called The High_Time and Leonard267 Chat Thread.

There is another thread called the Fakku Writers' Lounge. Unfortunately that thread was hit by a bug and someone really wanted to post his thoughts about the Game of Thrones. The WRITER'S Lounge intends to continue from where that thread left off.

This thread is where you generally discuss about writing and other matters not pertaining to writing. These are the guidelines which by the way you can feel free not to follow:

- Writers and non-writers can share writing techniques and their tastes in writing or reading.

- One can make remarks, disparaging or otherwise, about the works of others, obscure or otherwise.

- One can share what goes on one's mind when one is writing.

- Really, since people get their inspiration to write from all manners of sources like books, audiobooks, videos, things they saw while going to the supermarket, some moment of serendipity that no normal person would likely encounter in their lives and the newspaper, one can talk about anything under the sun really.

That said, let's get all chummy with each other and forge everlasting friendships with writers and non-writers and anyone else who bothers to post here, shall we?
This is where we left off!

high_time wrote...
leonard267 wrote...
I have mentioned this to you in the PMs and I think I may as well mention it here. For me, it was not so much to do whether it is bland but more to do with me being completely lost with the introduction or rather the lack of it of characters and terms used. Like the Night Watch, Others, who are Gared, Will (who appeared out of nowhere) and Weymar.

Of course I had other problems with the prologue as well in terms of the style of writing. I hope I can elaborate on that as soon as possible, most likely by next week.

maybe it's most likely not my taste. don't worry 'bout it since I don't have motivation to read most of the books that's out there. except if it seems to stand out completely different or those of my preference, I won't really read it longer than a few paragraphs, sentences or even just the title. even if i liked some books it will take a really long time for me to finish on.

i think you know the reason why.

It is not so much about taste in genres for me. It is rather about how the story is presented. I am sorry to have made you suffer Out Xnining Xninebreaker. That story falls under romance and war.

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
leonard267 wrote...
high_time wrote...
well at the prologue, i only like, read few sentences and skipped through the end. i don't feel the writing was all that appealing at all. it was bland to me so to say.

I have mentioned this to you in the PMs and I think I may as well mention it here. For me, it was not so much to do whether it is bland but more to do with me being completely lost with the introduction or rather the lack of it of characters and terms used. Like the Night Watch, Others, who are Gared, Will (who appeared out of nowhere) and Weymar.

I feel like I should at least try to defend GRRM since I happen to like those books. First, I'm going to qualify what you've said. There are indeed a lot names and terms thrown at the reader. You'll find that many fantasy stories suffer from a steep learning curve. It's a whole new world, and should the author stop to explain everything the story would get nowhere. Sometimes, us readers can't do anything but press on and put faith in the authors to elaborate later.

Having said that, I don't believe it's as bad as you make it out to be. Will did not appear out of nowhere, at least not any more than Gared or Royce did. He only made his appearance slightly later than the other two. While we initially know nothing about any of these characters, we are given sufficient background on them soon enough.

Until more solid definitions are given, there is plenty of information to infer from what's said in the prologue. For instance, I gather that whatever the Night's Watch is, its an enemy of the wildlings. Also, the Wall sounds very much like some kind of fortress that the Night's Watch is situated at. The Others, definitely magical in nature, are more than likely going to serve as villains though their origins and motives are unclear at this point. However, it would appear that whoever they are, these characters--and the Night's Watch by extension--are unprepared for them. There is recognition, but Will was not expecting them, and his account of there appearance sounds like it's being given by someone who is witnessing them for the first time.

In the end, the prologue can be summed up as thus: Some rangers of the Night's Watch were sent out to track down some wildlings, but it went horribly wrong when the Others showed up unexpectedly.

What does this have to do with anything? The only way to find out is to read on. The next chapter may enlighten us, or we may not find out until page 700. I can definitely see how that could throw someone off who would prefer to have a rundown of the details beforehand.

Spoiler:
As of the end of the fifth book, we still don't know where the Others come from or what they're after.

To steal a quote from you: I hate this kind of prologue. I question whether it is a prologue at all.

I will go into detail about why I dislike the prologue of the Game of Thrones hopefully by next week. Allow me to address what you mentioned about The Others.

I was expecting at least an explanation of what The Others were. What did The Others do that made them so dangerous? I felt that other than a physical description of what they were, I did not get much from the description in the prologue. When I first came across the term, I did not know what to think of them at all! It is just thrown out of nowhere!

Same with wildling. Why can't Martin just use Wild Men like Tolkien did?!
From this dictionary, a wildling is a plant! (It is also spelled as 'wilding')
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wilding
It's like the old writers lounge, but BETTER!

Can I ask a question to you experienced writers? How do you like your main characters?

What is your favorite setting for a story?

What do you think of female MC's?
leonard267 wrote...
To steal a quote from you: I hate this kind of prologue. I question whether it is a prologue at all.

I will go into detail about why I dislike the prologue of the Game of Thrones hopefully by next week. Allow me to address what you mentioned about The Others.

I was expecting at least an explanation of what The Others were. What did The Others do that made them so dangerous? I felt that other than a physical description of what they were, I did not get much from the description in the prologue. When I first came across the term, I did not know what to think of them at all! It is just thrown out of nowhere!

The Others have mysterious weapons that can shatter conventional swords, and as showcased in the prologue, the people they kill rise back from the dead. No, no explanation of what the Others are, but that's enough to know I don't want to cross paths with these guys.

Same with wildling. Why can't Martin just use Wild Men like Tolkien did?!
From this dictionary, a wildling is a plant! (It is also spelled as 'wilding')
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wilding

I needn't say that this is a fantasy story, and that there can be sentient plants if the author damn well wants there to be, do I?

Shikinokami wrote...
Can I ask a question to you experienced writers? How do you like your main characters?

Medium rare

Any kind! Except the ones with unicorns. I hate unicorns.

They have . . . parts that other MC's don't.
I hate unicorns.

DatYuriThough Goddess of Nature
Shikinokami wrote...

How do you like your main characters?

As long as they aren't massive pricks and are slightly relatable to myself then I'm fine with them.

Shikinokami wrote...

Preferably the dark futuristic style of cities. I like darker kind of stories based on this. I like it when the setting matches the plot like that.

Shikinokami wrote...

I always use them. Maybe because I am a girl but whatever. As long as they're done well and something similar to my first point then I'm cool with them.

Also made my way over to the writing thread finally. Hey everyone.
Shikinokami wrote...

Can I ask a question to you experienced writers?

no.

i won't answer any 'cuz im not experienced :)))
high_time wrote...
Shikinokami wrote...

Can I ask a question to you experienced writers?

no.

i won't answer any 'cuz im not experienced :)))

Fuck modesty man.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Shikinokami wrote...

Medium rare

I like 'em well cooked tho. Maybe with a bit overcooked.

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...

Any kind! Except the ones with unicorns. I hate unicorns.

Centaurass.jpg

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...

They have . . . parts that other MC's don't.

Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://hdlatestwallpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Loli-Anime-Girl-Full-HD-Wallpaper.jpg
CO2 wrote...
Fuck modesty man.

hohoho :D

if it's aimed at some random guy, I'll answer like this

>How do you like your main characters?

someone i can relate to, so it will be easy writing his daily antics as the main focus?

>What is your favorite setting for a story?

something that can be flexible so I can be freely to explore something something without lots of painful referencing?

>What do you think of female MC's?

I like female MC's, though it's mostly about how they're implemented?
On a more serious note, I like characters that are interesting. That's pretty vague, and I'm not entirely sure how to better put it to words. I would have said characters I can sympathize with, but that wouldn't be entirely true. If there's a character who's an absolute bastard, but he's very capable and I find his actions compelling, I can get behind them too. An example would be Makishima from Psycho Pass. I really enjoyed watching him and his schemes, and yet

Spoiler:
I enjoyed watching Kougami kill him even more.

Setting can very widely, and I'll like it. But I'd have to say my favorite kind of setting is one that has an air of mystery. Not everything behind the world is explained. Some elements are left vague or not mentioned at all. They invite readers to fill in the blanks. That kind of thing really gets my imagination going.

I could honestly care less whether main characters are male, female, somewhere in between or not even measurable by such a thing as gender. Whatever the hell that means.

DatYuriThough wrote...
Also made my way over to the writing thread finally. Hey everyone.

Sup.
Revelation Defender of DFC
Shikinokami wrote...

In stories we write or read?
as for the main character i probably like a chicken bagel who wears underpants and sing the national anthem of satanism in every churches.

the setting will be something post-apocalyptic which was mainly indicated by computer signs everywhere showing blue screen of death while everyone just lazes around staring at the screen blankly pretending to be playing games.

the main love interest shall be the blue screen of death itself. yes, it's a chicken bagel vs the world story :D
I'm currently reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov at the moment. It is a true comedy, sometimes even feels like reading a forum post. What are you all reading?
an illuminati book

Spoiler:

Forum Image: https://i.imgur.com/fpD0eq8.jpg

dunno when i'll finish it though. i've mostly been slow on reading (and many things else).
Shikinokami wrote...
I'm currently reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov at the moment. It is a true comedy, sometimes even feels like reading a forum post. What are you all reading?

I've read (and own) Lolita. Prosaically, it's beautiful and stunning. The only thing that detracts from it is his overabundant allusions and use of French phrases in my opinion. Plot-wise, it starts to get boring after a certain point, but then again, I rushed through most of it. I have to read it again when I get the chance. Where are you currently? Have you gotten to the high point yet?

As for me, I'm still reading a technical book, almost done. Then I'll be off to Within A Budding Grove.
Currently reading "Before They Are Hanged" by Joe Abercrombie and "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. Leonard might actually like the second one. It's a non-fictional account of why history happened the way it did.
On the Game of Thrones discussion earlier, although I have not read the books yet, I have heard/read some discontent about the latest book being split into two and the first dealing with characters who are ostensibly minor/irrelevant.
Shikinokami wrote...

I would like my main character to explain what is going on in the story from his or her point of view.

My favourite setting is a setting that is properly explained, most likely that of real life.

I would like that female main character to explain what is going on in the story from her point of view.

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...

The Others have mysterious weapons that can shatter conventional swords, and as showcased in the prologue, the people they kill rise back from the dead. No, no explanation of what the Others are, but that's enough to know I don't want to cross paths with these guys.

When the words "The Others" were first introduced, I have no idea what to make of them. At least I know what a Black Rider is from its name. This is actually the best time for some explanation as to why they are dangerous. I thought they were another organisation like the Night Watch.

Even the fact that The Others were ice zombies wasn't made clear. I thought Weymar Royce got better when I first read it!
The Logophile wrote...
Where are you currently? Have you gotten to the high point yet?

Page 22. I intend to finish it.