The WRITER'S Lounge

leonard267 wrote...
When the words "The Others" were first introduced, I have no idea what to make of them. At least I know what a Black Rider is from its name. This is actually the best time for some explanation as to why they are dangerous. I thought they were another organisation like the Night Watch.

Even the fact that The Others were ice zombies wasn't made clear. I thought Weymar Royce got better when I first read it!

I agree that the author didn't do the best job he could have. I think he should have made Will's reaction to The Others a bit different. But again, why explain why they're dangerous when he can show us?

I too initially thought that Royce had survived until he turned on Will and his eye was glowing blue.
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
leonard267 wrote...
When the words "The Others" were first introduced, I have no idea what to make of them. At least I know what a Black Rider is from its name. This is actually the best time for some explanation as to why they are dangerous. I thought they were another organisation like the Night Watch.

Even the fact that The Others were ice zombies wasn't made clear. I thought Weymar Royce got better when I first read it!

I agree that the author didn't do the best job he could have. I think he should have made Will's reaction to The Others a bit different. But again, why explain why they're dangerous when he can show us?

I too initially thought that Royce had survived until he turned on Will and his eye was glowing blue.

The answer why I thought it is better to introduce The Others is because I could have interpreted the action scenes to mean something else altogether. Don't look too much into my suggestion that The Others ought to be described as dangerous. What I wanted was a proper introduction of The Others which I felt wasn't done in the prologue.

I think a proper introduction is more than just giving them a physical description. If I were Martin, I would have spoken about how they were given the name "The Others" or rumours about them.

That aside, will you be coming up with something for the writing event?
I might add another chapter to dear Elliot's story.
Shikinokami wrote...
I might add another chapter to dear Elliot's story.

I thought it ended already! I am now running through the stories I am familiar with, though they aren't much. I need to come up with a lousy 'fanfic' myself.

That said, I think I will devote this page to complaining about the Game of Thrones. Care to join me?

http://vk.com/doc-50747477_169577512?hash=add9da39798259c34c&dl=a66d6ae1a02f78d02e

The Game of Thrones takes place in a continent that looks a blown-up island of Great Britain (no pun intended). Hadrian's Wall, the wall that (roughly) separated England from Scotland came to mind when I saw the map showing the northern parts of the continent separated from the rest of civilization by a structure known as The Wall. I wonder how a Scot would feel though seeing the much of the land north of the Wall as uncharted territory (inhabited by Wild Men Wildlings)

So allow me to begin by quoting the story at length.

Page 1:
Spoiler:
We should start back,” Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. “The wildlings are dead.”
“Do the dead frighten you?” Ser Waymar Royce asked with just the hint of a smile.
Gared did not rise to the bait. He was an old man, past fifty, and he had seen the lordlings come and go. “Dead is dead,” he said. “We have no business with the dead.”
“Are they dead?” Royce asked softly. “What proof have we?”
“Will saw them,” Gared said. “If he says they are dead, that’s proof enough for me.”

While it is too early to judge whether this prologue would be informative or not, I had the eerie feeling that instead of it being a proper prologue which introduces the setting of the universe through a story, it is merely a prequel. To make matters worse, already there are alien terms thrown into the story that are not introduced properly. They are namely, "Wildling" and "lordling".

The last time I checked a dictionary, a wildling is what people from bygone days call a wild plant. One might think that Gared and Ser Waymar Royce are gardeners struggling against an infestation of killer weeds. I would like to ask why George Martin is reluctant to settle for Wild Men, Barbarians, Nomads, First Nations, Aborigines, Scotchman or some other English word that implies that Gared and company are dealing with people not accustomed to and alien to civilisation?

To give credit to Martin, I do have an idea what a lordling is. They are the scions of some lord, or so I thought. What disturbs me more about 'lordling' is the sentence that contains it, namely, "He (Gared) was an old man, past fifty, and he had seen the lordlings come and go."

I know some acquaintances who are of the opinion that this piques their interest. They would want to know what was Gared's line of work which saw lordlings 'come and go'. However, in my case, that sentence elicited feelings of confusion since I have no idea what is happening! Come to and go away from what exactly? Is he an excursion teacher of sorts leading lordlings into the wild to pluck wildlings? Surely he can't be a veteran of some patrol lead by inexperienced young nobles who get themselves turned into ice zombies by the end of the watch?

In a fantasy world where the rules are not congruous or at least similar to that of the real world, it is very necessary to explain terms and settings. While Martin has a repository of wonderful ideas swimming in his head and would have no problem understanding the paragraphs he wrote, surely he knows that this reader (and most readers for that matter) can't read his mind. Could he kindly explain what a Wildling is and what Gared is doing?

But wait, it gets even more confusing from here!
moar nonsense :D

Spoiler:

The Scent of My Balls

I love my balls. So I smell them everyday. It's like bacon wrapped on sausage beans. Maybe my balls won't love me back, but my own affection for my balls is true. As true as frozen coconut on sinsacks would be. I traveled seas far and wide just to eat my balls everyday. One hotdog cart full of my balls standing there. The bartender had some unhealthy affection for my genitals, so he ate them everyday until his shape being similar to my genitals. It's true, because I told you so. Believe me, I like you. Even if I lie to you, it's gonna be the truth, always forever, in the name of love.

My balls was an elephant who traveled eleven seas searching for his genitals. I didn't really care at first, but my balls insist on taking me with him throughout the journey. I like the way he moved his body, similar to a pregnant scrotum. I always adore how he ejaculated jelly beans each time he went seasick. At one time, he consulted the ship's captain and they had orgy sex down the storage room. When things calmed down, I checked it to see it being filled with the stench of naked men, naked women, and naked hermaphrodites, also tentacle monsters and asexual molds.

You can say, all my sexual fetishes could be summed up with just that one peculiar sproingy smell down the storage room. So I eventually masturbated 'til my genitals were thrown out of the sea. Doesn't matter, got one hundred thousand replacements. So I masturbated again and the captain ate my genitals as soon as he opened up the door and saw me whacking off my scrotum. He said my scrotum taste like bacon, the same way with how he eats the genitals of my balls everyday until he becomes addicted to it.

I say, why don't he try mutilating his balls everyday, make a meatball spaghetti and serve it to everyone on the deck. He was really happy that he could have something happy. That night we had dinner consisting on the captain's balls. Unfortunately, his face is now filled with his balls so he couldn't see us until we ate his balls straight from his face while singing the national anthem of our respective nations backwards. I guess we also want to invite satan so he could also eat spaghetti together with our balls.

Satan kinda goes in our company seeing as he had lots of lesbian hermaphrodites at hell that's filling up his place. He says: the genitals could reach one hundred thousand kilometers, even though, while it's settled down, it's only fifty nanometers. It's making the hell filled with genitals and Satan wants to listen to some emo rock songs instead. We played our respective national anthems in rock and roll tune but Satan cried to the point he start cutting himself.

The captain threw off his balls twice the light speed and it caused Satan to become unconscious. Eventually God went to pay a visit, and he simply took Satan back to University in order to earn a doctorate degree about utter nihilism. I said, we won't let you God, you ain't taking Satan back except you award us all with a gang full of hermaphrodites. So he reluctantly gave us hermaphrodites for the night. I guess that day we wished we didn't make a wish to God—he simply screws up everything.

Our assholes, vaginas, mouths, and even ear and eyesockets had never been so fucking sore. Maybe it's my fault after all, it's everyone's fault too for agreeing with me. I don't know, it's just probably not my fault at all. So with the hermaphrodites gone it's time for us to breathe a fresh air at the break of dawn. It's not all that simple since we've got to eat all of the leftover balls. So where the heck are my balls?

It's there. Playing hookey with Satan at the University. When God took Satan back, he simply hitch hiked on the cloud lord's party van because he was bored with us all, especially me. So my balls ascended to heaven, and now I'm still here, recuperating from his lost by rekindling the smell of my own balls.

End.
high_time wrote...
moar nonsense :D

Spoiler:

The Scent of My Balls

I love my balls. So I smell them everyday. It's like bacon wrapped on sausage beans. Maybe my balls won't love me back, but my own affection for my balls is true. As true as frozen coconut on sinsacks would be. I traveled seas far and wide just to eat my balls everyday. One hotdog cart full of my balls standing there. The bartender had some unhealthy affection for my genitals, so he ate them everyday until his shape being similar to my genitals. It's true, because I told you so. Believe me, I like you. Even if I lie to you, it's gonna be the truth, always forever, in the name of love.

My balls was an elephant who traveled eleven seas searching for his genitals. I didn't really care at first, but my balls insist on taking me with him throughout the journey. I like the way he moved his body, similar to a pregnant scrotum. I always adore how he ejaculated jelly beans each time he went seasick. At one time, he consulted the ship's captain and they had orgy sex down the storage room. When things calmed down, I checked it to see it being filled with the stench of naked men, naked women, and naked hermaphrodites, also tentacle monsters and asexual molds.

You can say, all my sexual fetishes could be summed up with just that one peculiar sproingy smell down the storage room. So I eventually masturbated 'til my genitals were thrown out of the sea. Doesn't matter, got one hundred thousand replacements. So I masturbated again and the captain ate my genitals as soon as he opened up the door and saw me whacking off my scrotum. He said my scrotum taste like bacon, the same way with how he eats the genitals of my balls everyday until he becomes addicted to it.

I say, why don't he try mutilating his balls everyday, make a meatball spaghetti and serve it to everyone on the deck. He was really happy that he could have something happy. That night we had dinner consisting on the captain's balls. Unfortunately, his face is now filled with his balls so he couldn't see us until we ate his balls straight from his face while singing the national anthem of our respective nations backwards. I guess we also want to invite satan so he could also eat spaghetti together with our balls.

Satan kinda goes in our company seeing as he had lots of lesbian hermaphrodites at hell that's filling up his place. He says: the genitals could reach one hundred thousand kilometers, even though, while it's settled down, it's only fifty nanometers. It's making the hell filled with genitals and Satan wants to listen to some emo rock songs instead. We played our respective national anthems in rock and roll tune but Satan cried to the point he start cutting himself.

The captain threw off his balls twice the light speed and it caused Satan to become unconscious. Eventually God went to pay a visit, and he simply took Satan back to University in order to earn a doctorate degree about utter nihilism. I said, we won't let you God, you ain't taking Satan back except you award us all with a gang full of hermaphrodites. So he reluctantly gave us hermaphrodites for the night. I guess that day we wished we didn't make a wish to God—he simply screws up everything.

Our assholes, vaginas, mouths, and even ear and eyesockets had never been so fucking sore. Maybe it's my fault after all, it's everyone's fault too for agreeing with me. I don't know, it's just probably not my fault at all. So with the hermaphrodites gone it's time for us to breathe a fresh air at the break of dawn. It's not all that simple since we've got to eat all of the leftover balls. So where the heck are my balls?

It's there. Playing hookey with Satan at the University. When God took Satan back, he simply hitch hiked on the cloud lord's party van because he was bored with us all, especially me. So my balls ascended to heaven, and now I'm still here, recuperating from his lost by rekindling the smell of my own balls.

End.

When are you going to submit an entry for the writing event?
leonard267 wrote...

When are you going to submit an entry for the writing event?

probably one day before the deadline.
Revelation Defender of DFC
I'm reading The Crucible by Arthur Miller
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins.

okay what the fuck lol
I wanna see the movie first but I own a copy of the book...
Leonard wrote...
Could he kindly explain what a Wildling is and what Gared is doing?

You'd have your answers in due time if you were to continue reading.

Of course. Might be cutting it a little close though.
reading lolita had filled me with dirty thoughts. i now remember dat yuri sex scene in norwegian wood and wanting to recreate it using my own words and references from h doujins :D
high_time wrote...
reading lolita had filled me with dirty thoughts. i now remember dat yuri sex scene in norwegian wood and wanting to recreate it using my own words and references from h doujins :D

Forum Image: http://i.imgbox.com/WIKvOL8w.jpg

Also leo, I deeply recommend this image for the WRITER'S Lounge banner.

And, something which pleased me deeply today.

What's this supposed to mean?!

Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://i.imgbox.com/m3B9nux2.png

And I didn't even bother to read this.

Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://i.imgbox.com/LdTgPYOE.png
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Leonard wrote...

You'd have your answers in due it. ime if you were to continue reading.

The problem is he didn't. At least not in a straightforward manner. I will cover that in my review of the prologue. I am sure you know that I read the prologue.
leonard267 wrote...
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Leonard wrote...

The problem is he didn't. At least not in a straightforward manner. I will cover that in my review of the prologue. I am sure you know that I read the prologue.

I meant in a few chapters, which as I already may have said, is nothing for an 800 page fantasy book.
Spoiler:
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
leonard267 wrote...
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Leonard wrote...

I meant in a few chapters, which as I already may have said, is nothing for an 800 page fantasy book.

This makes me wonder why important terms and events are left for much later when it ought to be explained in the prologue. While it piques the curiosity of others, it frustrates me to come across terms like ranging which I don't understand. Makes it difficult for me to go through one chapter, let alone the entire book.
Revelation wrote...
I'm reading The Crucible by Arthur Miller

Yuck, that shit was so depressing. I read the book and watched the movie. Damn, i remember having nightmares from it during my freshman year.
leonard267 wrote...
This makes me wonder why important terms and events are left for much later when it ought to be explained in the prologue. While it piques the curiosity of others, it frustrates me to come across terms like ranging which I don't understand. Makes it difficult for me to go through one chapter, let alone the entire book.

Well, ranging in particular isn't a term specific to the universe. I was able to sniff out its meaning from the context it was used in.

It's not all about making people curious. If I had to sum up in one word why every term isn't explained upon introduction, that word would be pacing.

It's not out of the ordinary for people to be turned off by the first chapters of a book but give it some more time and end up liking it. I think it's unreasonable to expect to have a good grasp of both the plot and the world after the prologue or even those first few chapters. Hell, sometimes you'll be lucky if you have a grasp on just one after the first 100 pages. That's the way the genre tends to work.
man it seems i have a tendency to come up with something extremely disgusting that this very recent thoughts seem to even sicken my condition :(
Xenon FAKKU Writer
I just discovered this second thread.

Why do we have this second thread?

We really don't need a second thread.