this is a draft.

titled : Game of Thongs

Spoiler:

How to play Game of Thongs.

You buy a thong.

Throw it in the ocean.

Win the game.

Yeah.

When will the thongs be there? It's been 4 sentences since you introduced them. When are they getting there?
When you play the Game of Thongs, you win or you die.

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
Xenon wrote...
I just discovered this second thread.

Why do we have this second thread?

We really don't need a second thread.

There was a bug in the previous Lounge that appears to be resolved since you posted in it. I see that you appear to be unhappy with it though. Doesn't matter. I will use this thread for other purposes like posting drafts and chatting with others.

high_time wrote...
this is a draft.

titled : Game of Thongs

Spoiler:

How to play Game of Thongs.

You buy a thong.

Throw it in the ocean.

Win the game.

Yeah.

This made more sense than the prologue of that story!

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
leonard267 wrote...
This makes me wonder why important terms and events are left for much later when it ought to be explained in the prologue. While it piques the curiosity of others, it frustrates me to come across terms like ranging which I don't understand. Makes it difficult for me to go through one chapter, let alone the entire book.

Well, ranging in particular isn't a term specific to the universe. I was able to sniff out its meaning from the context it was used in.

It's not all about making people curious. If I had to sum up in one word why every term isn't explained upon introduction, that word would be pacing.

It's not out of the ordinary for people to be turned off by the first chapters of a book but give it some more time and end up liking it. I think it's unreasonable to expect to have a good grasp of both the plot and the world after the prologue or even those first few chapters. Hell, sometimes you'll be lucky if you have a grasp on just one after the first 100 pages. That's the way the genre tends to work.

Not the case of the Lord of the Rings. The prologue centred around what hobbits are. After reading that prologue and the maps of the Shire, the first chapter made sense. The second chapter "The Shadow of the Past" was expository in nature. I counted 41 pages.

And what does pacing have to do with simple explanation? I don't see how the prologue of the Game of Thrones be in anyway less readable if Martin bothered to explain what the Night Watch is. What I wanted is an explanation of what the terms mean. A sentence like,

Led by the youthful noble Ser Weymar Royce, Gared and Will were scouts for the Night Watch, a band of men tasked with keeping an eye on the raiders from beyond north of the Wall. Wildlings these raiders were called for that was what they covered themselves in to conceal themselves as they made their forays into the sunlit uplands south of the Wall.

It could have made much more sense. I don't think that would ruin the pacing much.

Shikinokami wrote...

Also leo, I deeply recommend this image for the WRITER'S Lounge banner.

And, something which pleased me deeply today.

What's this supposed to mean?!

Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://i.imgbox.com/m3B9nux2.png

And I didn't even bother to read this.

Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://i.imgbox.com/LdTgPYOE.png

I have also the same thoughts as you after reading a comic you have showed me, Nanadome no Gomenne. I might consider reviewing it just to annoy you.

But yes, it is very strange why people would do that over one short sentence.
The Logophile wrote...

When will the thongs be there? It's been 4 sentences since you introduced them. When are they getting there?

it's already out in the ocean, and that's all :D

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
When you play the Game of Thongs, you win or you die.

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

you'll always win the game, as opposed to always losing the game :D

leonard267 wrote...
[

maybe because it's much shorter and no sexual absurdity.
leonard267 wrote...

maybe because it's much shorter and no sexual absurdity.[/quote]

By any chance have you read an excerpt of my impressions of the GOT prologue? It is somewhere in the second page.
leonard267 wrote...

By any chance have you read an excerpt of my impressions of the GOT prologue? It is somewhere in the second page.

yeah I did.

when will you finish it? :)
high_time wrote...
leonard267 wrote...

yeah I did.

when will you finish it? :)

Hopefully by Saturday but I am not optimistic. I see the same repeating itself again and again throughout the prologue. New characters, new terms and names of organisations not explained in detail. Most of the plot had to be guessed by going through interpreting the dialogue and character interaction.

Not what I had in mind for a prologue.

Wait, it even gets more confusing from here!

Page 1:

Spoiler:
“Will saw them,” Gared said. “If he says they are dead, that’s proof enough for me.”
Will had known they would drag him into the quarrel sooner or later. He wished it had been later rather than sooner. “My mother told me that dead men sing no songs,” he put in.

"Will saw them", Gared said.

At that point of time, I thought that Will, whoever he is, was not likely part of Gared's and Ser Weymar Royce's company. Perhaps I would have an idea what he is at the very next line.

Will had known they would drag him into the quarrel sooner or later.

It turns out that was not the case. In fact, the introduction of Will felt jarring to me. Without any explanation of who he is, we are now seeing this story from his point of view. If I tried skimming through the first page, chances are I would miss Will completely.

The story continues from his point of view. It appears that finally we have some exposition to make sense of the story. I will enclose those bits in a spoiler...

Spoiler:
Will could see the tightness around Gared’s mouth, the barely suppressed anger in his eyes under the thick black hood of his cloak. Gared had spent forty years in the Night’s Watch, man and boy, and he was not accustomed to being made light of. Yet it was more than that. Under the wounded pride, Will could sense something else in the older man. You could taste it; a nervous tension that came perilous close to fear.

Will shared his unease. He had been four years on the Wall. The first time he had been sent beyond, all the old stories had come rushing back, and his bowels had turned to water. He had laughed about it afterward. He was a veteran of a hundred rangings by now, and the endless dark wilderness that the southron called the haunted forest had no more terrors for him.

Until tonight. Something was different tonight. There was an edge to this darkness that made his hackles rise. Nine days they had been riding, north and northwest and then north again, farther and farther from the Wall, hard on the track of a band of wildling raiders. Each day had been worse than the day that had come before it. Today was the worst of all. A cold wind was blowing out of the north, and it made the trees rustle like living things. All day, Will had felt as though something were watching him, something cold and implacable that loved him not. Gared had felt it too. Will wanted nothing so much as to ride hell-bent for the safety of the Wall, but that was not a feeling to share with your commander.

It seemed to explain matters. Yet, after reading that I had even more questions.

What is the Night Watch? Does it have anything to with Crime Watch? Are they trying to watch out for people having a hanky panky at night in the woods? Are they an occult group on the search of the supernatural?

What is a ranging? I don't think ranging is a noun the last time I checked that word in a dictionary. Could you explain it Mr. Martin?

Why are they hunting down wildling raiders? Ah... Perhaps that is what the Night Watch does, hunting down wildling raiders, whatever they are. However, I can't be too certain. Also, could you explain what a wildling is?

What is so safe about the Wall? In fact, other than a map, Martin hasn't given us a proper explanation of what the Wall is, its significance and so on.

For all the words put into explaining that something felt wrong, I still have no idea who they are, what they are and why they are doing what they do.

All I know is that they are part of the Night Watch, an organisation that I have never heard of, that they do rangings, which I never heard of, that they come from the Wall, a place I never heard of, and that they hunt wildling raiders, an endeavour that makes no sense to me since I don't see that many wildling plants behaving aggressively. Surely, these have to be addressed first before continuing the story? Otherwise, why should I care about them feeling uneasy?
leonard267 wrote...

Hopefully by Saturday but I am not optimistic. I see the same repeating itself again and again throughout the prologue. New characters, new terms and names of organisations not explained in detail. Most of the plot had to be guessed by going through interpreting the dialogue and character interaction.

maybe detailed explanations aren't all that necessary? I think if it could be somehow explained shortly as long as we get it, it's enough :) maybe some people just want to write the scenes like screenplay directors
high_time wrote...
leonard267 wrote...

maybe detailed explanations aren't all that necessary? I think if it could be somehow explained shortly as long as we get it, it's enough :) maybe some people just want to write the scenes like screenplay directors

It is not exactly detailed explanations but a lack of explanation in my opinion. The story could have made so much sense if it included something like:

Led by the youthful noble Ser Weymar Royce, Gared and Will were scouts for the Night Watch, a band of men tasked with keeping an eye on the raiders from beyond north of the Wall. Wildlings, these raiders were called, for that was what they covered themselves in to conceal themselves as they made their forays into the sunlit uplands south of the Wall.
high_time wrote...
The Logophile wrote...

it's already out in the ocean, and that's all :D

Forum Image: http://roselli.eu/Paul_1/Photogallerie/images/Futurama%20fry_screaming.jpg
leonard267 wrote...

It is not exactly detailed explanations but a lack of explanation in my opinion. The story could have made so much sense if it included something like:

Led by the youthful noble Ser Weymar Royce, Gared and Will were scouts for the Night Watch, a band of men tasked with keeping an eye on the raiders from beyond north of the Wall. Wildlings, these raiders were called, for that was what they covered themselves in to conceal themselves as they made their forays into the sunlit uplands south of the Wall.

ah, it makes the story more interesting :D I now kinda remember D&D RPG thing with epic battles or something like LOTR.

The Logophile wrote...

Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://roselli.eu/Paul_1/Photogallerie/images/Futurama%20fry_screaming.jpg

Forum Image: http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/sykonist/peter-griffin/256/Peter-Griffin-Football-head-icon.png
high_time wrote...
leonard267 wrote...

ah, it makes the story more interesting :D I now kinda remember D&D RPG thing with epic battles or something like LOTR.

That is too generous. What I meant to say is, there must be at least some explanation for the terms you are throwing out. At this rate, even a business contract would be more readable than the Game of Thrones!
leonard267 wrote...

That is too generous. What I meant to say is, there must be at least some explanation for the terms you are throwing out. At this rate, even a business contract would be more readable than the Game of Thrones!

what you mean like an exposition.

that's a funny thought lol, a business contract :D

I suddenly remember a joke mentioning some contract 'bout asking a sperm donation from various people, and they won't take those who could read the contract because they're obviously lawyers.
Xenon wrote...
I just discovered this second thread.

Why do we have this second thread?

We really don't need a second thread.

Because the other one glitched/bugged. New page was missing.

high_time wrote...
man it seems i have a tendency to come up with something extremely disgusting that this very recent thoughts seem to even sicken my condition :(

Get used to the new WRITER'S Lounge banner, courtesy of Misaki_Chi.

Forum Image: http://i57.tinypic.com/2db9lxx.gif
Xenon FAKKU Writer
leonard267 wrote...
There was a bug in the previous Lounge that appears to be resolved since you posted in it. I see that you appear to be unhappy with it though. Doesn't matter. I will use this thread for other purposes like posting drafts and chatting with others.

It's just another thread I have to bookmark and check now. I prefer the original, though. Doubles are unnecessary since you already have the Cesspit, but do as you will.

Shikinokami wrote...
Because the other one glitched/bugged. New page was missing.

This isn't new in Fakku. Threads glitch like that all the time, they create a new page even though no one has posted enough to go into a new page. You simply have to post more and the new page gets filled into. That's what happens, it doesn't mean you're missing anyone's posts because the new page is blank. I posted in the thread when this occurred and I didn't see any problems beyond that normal phenomena.
leonard267 wrote...
Not the case of the Lord of the Rings. The prologue centred around what hobbits are. After reading that prologue and the maps of the Shire, the first chapter made sense. The second chapter "The Shadow of the Past" was expository in nature. I counted 41 pages.

There are of course exceptions to any rule or trend. It's also worth noting that Lord of the Rings came out decades before Game of Thrones and pretty much every fantasy book I've read. I have not read Lord of the Rings and cannot comment further on it.

And what does pacing have to do with simple explanation? I don't see how the prologue of the Game of Thrones be in anyway less readable if Martin bothered to explain what the Night Watch is. What I wanted is an explanation of what the terms mean.

I was generalizing when I said that, but now that I think on it more, pacing is starting to sound a less satisfactory explanation.

I have another possible reason why GRRM didn't place convenient explanations of terms commonplace in the world of the story. Point of view. As you've no doubt noticed, the book is told from limited third person. It follows Will specifically in the prologue. It would therefor be strange for him to ponder on words he need not ponder on. He knows all too well what wildlings are, the purpose of rangings for rangers of the Night's Watch and what a lordling is. Breaking point of view breaks immersion, and that's a big deal for some people.
leonard267 wrote...

I checked my Oxford for wildling and lordling.

Wildling can also mean "a wild creature or an animal" apart from the one you provided.

Lordling had two definitions:

1. (My paraphrasing) A smaller or minor lord, often used contemptuously.
2. Obsolete A type of apple.

So maybe Martin is actually talking about plants and apples fighting each other.

Forum Image: http://cdn.hark.com/images/000/006/085/6085/original.0
Shikinokami wrote...

Get used to the new WRITER'S Lounge banner, courtesy of Misaki_Chi.

Forum Image: http://i57.tinypic.com/2db9lxx.gif

needs more kawaii :D

So maybe Martin is actually talking about plants and apples fighting each other.

lol :DDD