When you know you are an adult?

Pages Prev1234Next
Cruz Dope Stone Lion
I think it all depends on what adult means. I've meet and seen people from all across the spectrum, but I don't really get it. Does having responsibilities, or aging. Or just acting a certain way, and only in that way?
You're an adult when you're able to sustain yourself and place the needs of others above your own.
KrnSurferDude wrote...
I have a peter pan complex. I'm 20 year old, but i really don't wanna grow up. The sad part is that the older i get, the more immature i feel.

I don't think you're anywhere near old enough to be saying you have a Peter Pan complex.

20 is still pretty young. Now, if you're 30 years old and still don't want to hold down a job and just want to play video games all day, then you have a problem.
While I consider myself an adult, I never feel mature enough to say in front of people that i'm already an adult.
It's the time when you know what is wrong and what is right, but still you chooses being wrong because you know that choosing that wrong one will make things much more better than choosing the right one.
You're an adult when you realise how insignificant you are on the grand scale of things, when you realise you can't go back to being a child - and you are as incapable of going back to the way you thought 10 seconds ago.

(Many people never grow up imo)
When other adults stops treating you like a kid...
To a certain extent, it is difficult to say when one officially becomes an adult. Of course, there are some legal indications, such as the right to drink, smoke, vote, etc.

I believe it depends on how other parties view oneself. Some of our friends and colleagues may consider oneself to be mature, but in front of our parents, we may continue to be "children".
Raparperi wrote...
fuckeverything wrote...
You're generaly an adult when it no longer matters to you whether you are an adult or not.

This has bugged me every time I think about being adult or being a child. Why do some people have such a hurry to grow up? Why do people think certain types of humor (like fart stuff) is childish, and why do they think its a bad thing if someone has likes "childish" jokes?
I mean, isnt being childish way more fun than adult-like? D: I'm matured enough to know I have to pay my bills, take my dog to vet when its needed even if it means I'll have only 50 euros for food for 3 weeks and so on. And I also know good manners, which too seems to be a sign of a matured person nowdays (since it seems that atleast most of the teenagers dont know any manners [size=10](oh god how old I feel when I say that D:)[/h]).And I guess I'm a bit adult-like in my way of thinking too, with politics and stuff like that.

One thing that really made me think about how people react to childish things happened about half an year ago. I was in this group where young people were being helped to find a job or something to do in general and we were talking about what kind of people we are. And I said that I'm pretty childish person around familiar people and I even have loads of stuffed toys in our bedroom. And people were really shocked and asked something stuff like "doesnt it bother your boyfriend at all that you have those things in the room he sleeps in?". I mean, they were really REALLY surprised and thought that it should bother my bf because his girlfriend who's in her mid 20's has stuffed toys. For me thats 100% normal to have stuffed toys, its not like I play with them or anything, I just own them. And even my mom has stuffed toys.

So, the point of that story: your opinion on childish things? (like childish humor, stuffed toys and such). I've been thinking of making a thread for this for quite a long time, but lazy me is lazy, and now that this thread is here, I think this could be discussed here too (correct me if I'm wrong).

I agree, there is nothing wrong with retaining certain childish qualities, its more fun that way. Plus I have lots of stuffed animals in my room. Seals, pandas, polar bears, penguins, doggies, etc.
Gambler wrote...
To a certain extent, it is difficult to say when one officially becomes an adult. Of course, there are some legal indications, such as the right to drink, smoke, vote, etc.

I believe it depends on how other parties view oneself. Some of our friends and colleagues may consider oneself to be mature, but in front of our parents, we may continue to be "children".

Yeah, despite the three normal perk we gain when we grow-up in age (driving, drinking and voting) we don't really get something so meaningfull to consider ourself adults, you could be a a dude living in a small apartment and having a a good and easy job, and just because your job is not so demanding that keep you away from doing everything you like and enjoy (like doing sports or play videogames or hang-out with your girlfriend/boyfriend or your friends) you are consider "a child" because you don't know how hard life is and demanding and bla bla bla bla...
FinalBoss #levelupyourgrind
Main opinion: You become an adult when you are aware of the consequences of your actions. This would be based on mental age.
Minor opinion: If you turn 18, then you are legally an adult based on chronological age.
Commentary: People should take a test to see whether a person is mature enough to be treated as an adult.
Elaborate:

An individual's chronological and mental age doesn't always match up. For instance, a 30 year old might still behave like a 15 year old. Also an 18 year old might be more mature than the average 30 year old. I believe there should be a test (similar to an IQ test) that determines a person's ability to think rationally. In order to prevent cheating, experts should use a lie detector. A person will get certain privileges such as driving a car, owning a firearm or drinking alcohol if they score high enough. If a person scores low, then they have to re-take the test again a year after they took the last test (plenty of time to get some life experience). The test can also help determine whether a person might have a mental illness. However, the test should only be given to those who just turned 18. It wouldn't be fair to target people who are already 21 and up. In order for something like this to work, experts will have to clearly define what it means to be an adult.

Conclusion:
The gap between child and adult is getting smaller within each new generation. A test to determine an individual's mental age would most certainly help distinguish what it means to be an adult and a child.

Sauce: Its just an opinion dood.
The simpilist way i look at it is in primitive terms, you need to hunt prey in order to survive.....catch the prey(money) by hunting it(job), once you are capable of doing this without any help from the elders, then in my opinion this is what makes you an adult.
After your first kill.

No but seriously though,
Mental adulthood: Responsibility and wisdom.
Physical adulthood: Physical development of the body and the brain.

In my opinion.
I think part of being an adult is knowing your situation in life and being aware of what you can and can't do. A lot of people have no idea how good or bad they have it. The people that have it good think they have it bad and the people that have it bad think they have it good that's the way I find a lot of people think.
Well, I'm 16 and I already believe that I'm an adult...

I'm not sure if you guys've ever read psychology but I've come to the realization that I truly am an adult now... The only catch being that I'm very lonely and that I'm actually pretty depressed... Though there maybe times where I don't really feel depressed but I still am depressed and I must say that being depressed is pretty much living hell...

I believe that I'm an adult cuz' my way of thinking is definitely ain't like how most 'teenagers' think... Heck, never even considered myself to be an 'adolescent' or 'teenager'... I know that I'm DEFINITELY more aware of my surroundings than ever before... I'm DEFINITELY more conscious and more understanding of everything around me...

The thought of me being criticized as 'immature' or "You're just a kid" or "You're only a teenager" makes me sick to the utmost...

But yeah, an immense understanding of one's surroundings, an increased potential as a sexual being, an increase in better forms of logical thinking are some of the hallmarks of being an adult...

Edit by Tsujoi: Aaaaand banned. No need to report this post again.
Every person is childish in their own way, and also mature in their own way.
Nishizawa Mihashi wrote...
Well, I'm 16 and I already believe that I'm an adult
r'... I know that I'm DEFINITELY more aware of my surroundings than ever before...

But yeah, an immense understanding of one's surroundings and an increase in better forms of logical thinking are some of the hallmarks of being an adult...

Well by your standards you seem to not only be immature but analytically incompetent.Perhaps it's just a strange tidbit of common sense but having an immense understanding of one's surroundings implies that your not idiotic enough to post that your a minor here.From what I can tell your just another emotional teenager whose false sense of being an adult causes him to equate that lots of self-pity = mature and being able to conjugate enough words to make a English-fluent wall of text= +1 Adult Intelligence Gained!
I think when you know what is right and wrong,
and when you do the wrong ones more seldom than before..
that's the time you're no child anymore...
Chronus14 wrote...

Can a child even do wrong? If you don't know what wrong is, since only adults know right and wrong apparently, how could you commit it?If wrong is defined as doing something that outwardly is intended to harm for a lack of reason or personal gain, when would a child do this?If they did do this, wouldn't they be an adult by your standards?
Darkhilt wrote...
Chronus14 wrote...

Can a child even do wrong? If you don't know what wrong is, since only adults know right and wrong apparently, how could you commit it?If wrong is defined as doing something that outwardly is intended to harm for a lack of reason or personal gain, when would a child do this?If they did do this, wouldn't they be an adult by your standards?

What i am pointing out is decision making.
When you are adult, you are most likely to make right decisions unlike when you are child.
Pages Prev1234Next