How can an atheist believe we rot in the ground after death?

Pages Prev123Next
Kinda easily, it happens everyday so therefore it must be so.
It's a fact you rot in the ground after death, let me just point that out.

When a person dies the brain shuts down and stops working, then you eventually lose consciousness, that in itself is dying and no religious person can prove that wrong.

Second, when you lose consciousness, you technically do cease to exist, you no longer have any thought and since your brain doesn't function there's nothing there for you. I would like to see someone prove me wrong.

There's no magic in this world, there's no miracles or anything like that. The thing people call to be miracles in this world, are the same things that could've occured without a gods intervention.

Also I would like to point out another thing that you're wrong about. It's not an atheist thing to believe there is no after life. It's a normal human thought.

An atheist can believe in the afterlife without believing in a gods existence, and a theist can believe in a god but no afterlife.

To the people who are saying that no one can know what happens after death, did not study the human body.
The only way to believe there to be an afterlife is if you haven't really given it much thought.

Believing in an afterlife is no more laughable than those that believe in talking pigs and flying donkeys that fart out rainbows.

Edit: after reading all of your posts, I can confirm that half of you have no clue to what you're talking about. There's no "Atheists think-" There's no "most atheists believe in an afterlife"
An atheist is simply a person that does not believe in a god, it is a label to define one thought a person has about something and holds no religious position.
Making claims that "most atheists believe-" is a sick joke.
That's like saying most bald people believe in pink unicorns.

I'm just posting facts while others are just making unverified claims that they call opinion, that I see as ignorance.

@nacho believing in science is being ignorant. Real science requires no belief, it requires physical facts. Science is the study of physical facts and proving them. Do you believe in gravity, no! You either accept it as a fact or be ignorant.

The belief system that others use for their religion requires no actual thought. in fact to believe in the things they do, it requires lack of thought. (Close-mindedness)

I'm disappointed that most people don't realize something that is so obvious.
Because I don't care.
UkeThings wrote...
How can someone be on their deathbed believing sincerely that they'll just fade away;
To not be anymore, to not exist anymore - to just rot in the ground;
I don't believe in the church or the mosque, none of it feels right,
the bible was written by man after all!

congradulations, you're agnostic.

UkeThings wrote...
Science, has proven that the word "god" is hard encoded into our dna

citation please.
charles2302 wrote...
I'm athiest because i believe humans work like machines, we're comprised of many components that work together to complete tasks, malfunctions occur when we recieve damage or if their was a manufacturing error.

I think like machines, when we die we just can no longer compute. the power source is gone but unlike machines another piece wont return life...

That was an incredibly convoluted way of pointing out the obvious.

UkeThings wrote...

Source?

Fluttershy wrote...
Because I don't care.

Way to contribute absolutely fucking nothing to the discussion. Users like you are worse then bad, they're useless.

To answer the question presented by the OP:

Whether there's an after life or not is not something I'm going to dwell on because I won't know jack shit till I'm dead. What I'm saying here is that there's little point in pondering about something you can't do anything about.
If you don't like te thought of rotting away after death, get mummified or something.

Thats the answer....
There was a miracle that overcome our logic, and there's logic that overcome faith, whatever you choose to believe, respect both, believe me, there exist events that human cannot comprehend with logic.

The only answer is dying itself, is there exist afterlife we cannot know, both atheist or religious, so it's just annoying to troll each other claiming to be the rightest, no way.
Look at a dead person.
Assess of his death.

Leave.
Comeback a week later.

Observe the maggots.

Believe...No, sorry, let me rephrase that:
Assert because of facts.

Mystery solved.

Any others?
Of course we are talking here about the actual corpse, the "soul" can do what ever it likes, I don't really care or want to know, we all know soon enough.
I can see a dead body. I can't see a soul flow out of its mouth or some shit like that. There is no soul, it's just your brain helping you come to terms with your eventual death.
I beleive in god, but we do rot in the ground even with all the preservatives D:
Even if there is a heaven we still rot in the ground.
It's disappointing that it's year 2012 and people still question the afterlife.

People still cling to the bible and other things, despite being proven to be invalid.

The Earth is not 6,000 years old. And why would an omnipotent being wait billions upon billions of years watching the earth change, and us evolve only then to give us a soul?

Also, since evolution has been proven, then Adam & Eve could not have happened. Which would mean that Eve could not have commit the "original sin" and since eve didn't commit the original sin, jesus's death would've been in vain, and after that everything is just a load of contradictions. (if it wasn't already)
Not a single person that believed in an afterlife, was able to convince me that he wasn't just playing the guessing game.
If there's a single one of you that believes in the afterlife/god, please do reply to this post and try to give me an actual reason to believe that one exists.

Also don't bother trying to use anything from the bible, it shows that you gave up.

To the people who said things like "you can only know when you die" what makes you say that? You would have to be delusional and believe in supernatural crap to even assume that. People who say things like that, are slightly believing the story of an afterlife.
If we twist the words a bit we can change our sentence to "you can only know if leprechauns exist, is by seeing one." When you die, it's game over, there's no knowing, just dying.

We have evidence of what happens when you die, there is no evidence supporting the afterlife or anything related to it. How can you be so sure that you don't know everything when it comes to something? If I dropped something would you only assume that's evidence of gravity, but doesn't actually prove that gravity is real?

With that said, when someone is shot in the heart, and their body stops working, would you only assume that's evidence of dying, but doesn't actually prove that the person is dead for good?
Can you show me where God is encoded in our DNA?

Also I like the "Atheists bring science" part. Cause science is always wrong and has no actual truth behind it.
Longevity wrote...
Can you show me where God is encoded in our DNA?

Also I like the "Atheists bring science" part. Cause science is always wrong and has no actual truth behind it.

Troll or uneducated? Pick one.
Longevity wrote...
Cause science is always wrong and has no actual truth behind it.

Can't tell if serious.
If atheists believe if hell is just fantasy, why don't they just kill themselves? Or do they?
Why would they kill themselves if hell is fantasy and they only have one life. It would make more sense for them to stay alive and live their life and convince others into living their lives for themselves and for the sake of happiness. Believing in an afterlife would mean not trying to succeed in this life if your going to be rewarded for doing something someone told you to do in the afterlife.
Cormac wrote...
charles2302 wrote...
I'm athiest because i believe humans work like machines, we're comprised of many components that work together to complete tasks, malfunctions occur when we recieve damage or if their was a manufacturing error.

I think like machines, when we die we just can no longer compute. the power source is gone but unlike machines another piece wont return life...

UkeThings wrote...

Source?

Fluttershy wrote...
Because I don't care.

Way to contribute absolutely fucking nothing to the discussion. Users like you are worse then bad, they're useless.

Whether there's an after life or not is not something I'm going to dwell on because I won't know jack shit till I'm dead. What I'm saying here is that there's little point in pondering about something you can't do anything about.

Arent you just as bad as the third person you quoted, you didnt contribute, you just stated your opinions of our contributions...I wouldnt know if Im pointing out the obvious because i dont know how others think, nor do i know their perspectives...
charles2302 wrote...
Cormac wrote...
charles2302 wrote...

UkeThings wrote...

Source?

Fluttershy wrote...
Because I don't care.

Arent you just as bad as the third person you quoted, you didnt contribute, you just stated your opinions of our contributions...I wouldnt know if Im pointing out the obvious because i dont know how others think, nor do i know their perspectives...

What are you talking about? Cormac gave his opinion on the topic instead of giving an IB response.
Pages Prev123Next