On Vegetarianism

Pages Prev1234Next
Lughost the Lugoat
Why did you make this thread? Was it to discuss the opinions people have on vegetarianism or to tell everybody who doesn't agree with you how you think they're wrong?
BigLundi wrote...

Please tell me how taking dominance over, and enslaving animals for the purpose of consumption shows...compassion...and tenderness, and sympathy...for the animals?

We proctect them , feed them and even sometimes farmers give them love , isn't that enough ?
BigLundi wrote...

Mind over matter is also incorrect. There are no articles of humans tested in peer reviewed laboratory conditions that survive for months on end without water or food.

Also, you can survive up to a month without water, and several months without food. Those are your limits.

i would like to see these articles you mention. i did some searching, and what i found said avg. 3-5 days w/out water. times for going w/out food varried.

BigLundi wrote...

Oh yeah, and @ Mr. Shaggnificent...none of those links are 'humane'. As I went over before, raising something for the purpose of killing and eating it...is...callous and unnecessary. So I don't find it humane.

I don't mind killing and butchering animals i eat, but i don't do it in a cruel way. we are animals, animals have always eaten each other, and always will. however, we are all entitled to our own opinions, so i will speak no more on this matter here.
The ethics of food production seem dubious to me. Not in the sense that the intent is foul, but that it's a very easy and cheap way to guilt someone into an otherwise illogical emotional place. It shouldn't come to surprise to anyone that the process involved with removing the flesh from an animal has all the markings of a malicious ritual. Butchering is not something you do gently, and even if you alleviate some degree of pain, there's always empathy ready to remind you of how grotesque it feels. But that's the thing, there isn't an ethical way to skin a cow, chicken or pig if we were to substitute ourselves in that position. It doesn't exist in our world nor can it. Applying vegetarian ethics to the entirety of the animal product industry means abstinence from utilitarian progress.

The whole thought of being accountable about animals is tantamount to believing Animal Farm as a piece of future non-fiction. It is absurd to actually believe that our use of available resources and technology has an actual moral implication with a species that will not have a chance to develop past the human race, much less keep records of the atrocities we commit on them in the name of our own quality of life. This idea of carnivore-karma is hypothetical, and while it makes for a nice critical thinking exercise, there's nothing to it but self-generated feelings. None of the viewpoints I hold towards animals cross over into human territory. I have a different set of decision-making tools there. They are clearly marked. Anybody who says otherwise is underestimating my ability to distinguish between species.

I've heard the argument that our desensitization towards our food economy is a step towards a more apathetic and barbaric society. I would say that's true, but moral deterioration comes from every possible technological advancement that has been made in our history. If the consumer had to fight a bull every time to get a burger, we probably wouldn't have a significant craving for said burger. Life continually grows easier in some respects, and with that ease comes the natural 'meh' that results when we acquire a dependency. Therefore, it seems that while it is a bad thing to have a meat addiction, it is on the same level as having an craving for anonymity on the internet.

However, on a practical level, I love vegetarianism. The fact that it has a moral backing ensures that brilliant minds will work towards improving the quality of life of those prescribing to it, which produces delicious alternatives to practically everything. Also, periodic vegetarian bouts do wonders and the fact that people are dedicated to being support groups makes it that much easier to flux in and out of carnivorous feast or famine.
Grenouille88 wrote...
Why did you make this thread? Was it to discuss the opinions people have on vegetarianism or to tell everybody who doesn't agree with you how you think they're wrong?

Considering everyone who comments are people telling me how wrong my position is, or hypocritical, or useless, I find that a strange question.

Have you seen me in this entire thread make the claim that everyone should be a vegan? Or that people who don't agree with me are immoral monsters incapable of empathy? Or anything even CLOSE to that?

No. People have responded, some to inform me why they find my position unconvincing. so I point out why I find their critiques in adequate. Anesthetize went on a long posting war with me to call my position "retarded" so you can't expect me to not defend against that, and the rest of the comments are trying to convince me either that I'm being hypocritical in my stance against animal farming, or that things...aren't as bad I think.

So...what exactly do you expect me to say to that? Simply agree when I don't?
Lughost the Lugoat
BigLundi wrote...
Spoiler:
Grenouille88 wrote...

Considering everyone who comments are people telling me how wrong my position is, or hypocritical, or useless, I find that a strange question.

Have you seen me in this entire thread make the claim that everyone should be a vegan? Or that people who don't agree with me are immoral monsters incapable of empathy? Or anything even CLOSE to that?

No. People have responded, some to inform me why they find my position unconvincing. so I point out why I find their critiques in adequate. Anesthetize went on a long posting war with me to call my position "retarded" so you can't expect me to not defend against that, and the rest of the comments are trying to convince me either that I'm being hypocritical in my stance against animal farming, or that things...aren't as bad I think.

So...what exactly do you expect me to say to that? Simply agree when I don't?

You know what? My post is out of line. I'm having a shitty day and was trying to take it out on somebody else. I apologize.
Futanari wrote...
The ethics of food production seem dubious to me. Not in the sense that the intent is foul, but that it's a very easy and cheap way to guilt someone into an otherwise illogical emotional place. It shouldn't come to surprise to anyone that the process involved with removing the flesh from an animal has all the markings of a malicious ritual. Butchering is not something you do gently, and even if you alleviate some degree of pain, there's always empathy ready to remind you of how grotesque it feels. But that's the thing, there isn't an ethical way to skin a cow, chicken or pig if we were to substitute ourselves in that position. It doesn't exist in our world nor can it. Applying vegetarian ethics to the entirety of the animal product industry means abstinence from utilitarian progress.

Well, as a student training to be a professor in philosophy I can say the following things about that.

1. Arguing from an emotional place is logical in the realm of moral discourse, as morals reflect our minds and how we feel about suffering and pleasure and virtues and laws in general.
2. There are much less painful and monstrous ways to obtain meat from animals that...don't involve hanging them upside down while still fully conscious and slitting their throats, waiting for them to bleed out. I think going towards that goal of letting these animals in the LEAST die in more ethical ways before eating them is...something at the very least.
3. As someone who hopes to teach ethics one day...I'm not a utilitarian. Applying cold hard numbers to determine how things ought to be is insufficient for me.

The whole thought of being accountable about animals is tantamount to believing Animal Farm as a piece of future non-fiction. It is absurd to actually believe that our use of available resources and technology has an actual moral implication with a species that will not have a chance to develop past the human race, much less keep records of the atrocities we commit on them in the name of our own quality of life.

I don't see how you draw the logical line from, "Animals can suffer, so let's not treat them inhumanely to "Animals are going to talk and demand equal rights at some point while a pig stands on two feet."

Why is it so absurd to apply morals to technological advancements? Einstein did it with the atomic bomb. As far as animals not being able to develop past us and 'keep records' I believe I went over this in my first post. Jeremy Bentham: The question is not 'can they reason?' or 'can they talk?' but 'can they suffer?" And the answer to that is an emphatic yes.

This idea of carnivore-karma is hypothetical, and while it makes for a nice critical thinking exercise, there's nothing to it but self-generated feelings. None of the viewpoints I hold towards animals cross over into human territory. I have a different set of decision-making tools there. They are clearly marked. Anybody who says otherwise is underestimating my ability to distinguish between species.

Not speaking for all vegetarians, but I don't believe in some karmic source of divine punishment for those that screw over livestock or anything like that, I just don't find it very moral, personally, to support an industry so callous as to the nature of animals. Why does suffering not matter when it happens to animals, but it does when it happens to humans? Why do you draw that line? What's the ethical difference between throwing a live man in a boiling cauldron to eat and throwing a live pig into a boiling vat to eat?

I've heard the argument that our desensitization towards our food economy is a step towards a more apathetic and barbaric society. I would say that's true, but moral deterioration comes from every possible technological advancement that has been made in our history. If the consumer had to fight a bull every time to get a burger, we probably wouldn't have a significant craving for said burger.

...Ok, so you say our morals deteriorate the more we advance...why...is that not a good reason to curve the technological advancement in a different direction? We're the ones in control over where our technology develops towards...so can't we control it...you know...not going towards treating animals like nonliving objects incapable of suffering?

Life continually grows easier in some respects, and with that ease comes the natural 'meh' that results when we acquire a dependency. Therefore, it seems that while it is a bad thing to have a meat addiction, it is on the same level as having an craving for anonymity on the internet.

I don't see the parallel. There are legitimate reasons for one, and I personally don't see any for the other. Are you saying that it's inevitable that we're going to have meat shoved in our faces so...just accept it?

Mr.Shaggnificent wrote...
BigLundi wrote...

Mind over matter is also incorrect. There are no articles of humans tested in peer reviewed laboratory conditions that survive for months on end without water or food.

Also, you can survive up to a month without water, and several months without food. Those are your limits.

i would like to see these articles you mention. i did some searching, and what i found said avg. 3-5 days w/out water. times for going w/out food varried.

Usually it's 3-5, maybe 6 days, but in cold climates one can live almost up to a month without water and food.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/survival/wilderness/live-without-food-and-water2.htm

BigLundi wrote...

Oh yeah, and @ Mr. Shaggnificent...none of those links are 'humane'. As I went over before, raising something for the purpose of killing and eating it...is...callous and unnecessary. So I don't find it humane.

I don't mind killing and butchering animals i eat, but i don't do it in a cruel way. we are animals, animals have always eaten each other, and always will. however, we are all entitled to our own opinions, so i will speak no more on this matter here.

Like I told 3 people before you, just because animals have done things a certain way doesn't mean it ought be that way. To say otherwise is a fallacy. A known fallacy. A big one.
BigLundi wrote...

Well, as a student training to be a professor in philosophy I can say the following things about that.

1. Arguing from an emotional place is logical in the realm of moral discourse, as morals reflect our minds and how we feel about suffering and pleasure and virtues and laws in general.
2. There are much less painful and monstrous ways to obtain meat from animals that...don't involve hanging them upside down while still fully conscious and slitting their throats, waiting for them to bleed out. I think going towards that goal of letting these animals in the LEAST die in more ethical ways before eating them is...something at the very least.
3. As someone who hopes to teach ethics one day...I'm not a utilitarian. Applying cold hard numbers to determine how things ought to be is insufficient for me.

I am asserting that the goal of humanitarian slaughter isn't a good idea because no matter the amount of mitigation of pain you provide, the stance that we're helping them by making their deaths easier doesn't alleviate the core ethical conflict that comes with harvesting them in the first place. Therefore, it is an exercise in futility and serves as a cumbersome guilt generator.

In regards to utilitarianism, I don't believe that it is just numbers. Rather, the push towards human sustainability and efficiency inevitably comes with compromises like these. We're talking about one of the most noble things our people can do to help itself, mind you. Food production has an extraordinarily high utility, to the point where it is reasonable to have discussions on whether ethical considerations should be made.

BigLundi wrote...
I don't see how you draw the logical line from, "Animals can suffer, so let's not treat them inhumanely to "Animals are going to talk and demand equal rights at some point while a pig stands on two feet."

Why is it so absurd to apply morals to technological advancements? Einstein did it with the atomic bomb. As far as animals not being able to develop past us and 'keep records' I believe I went over this in my first post. Jeremy Bentham: The question is not 'can they reason?' or 'can they talk?' but 'can they suffer?" And the answer to that is an emphatic yes.

It isn't absurd as a whole, but this particular instance maintains a very real and somber absence of a good ending. You reference that we should make steps towards creating a more human way of executing animals, but it's more of an emotional band-aid than an actual problem solver. Additionally, you know what the key difference between the bomb and animal cruelty? We can't use animal cruelty against ourselves in a military fashion. The line of demarcation is significant.

BigLundi wrote...
Not speaking for all vegetarians, but I don't believe in some karmic source of divine punishment for those that screw over livestock or anything like that, I just don't find it very moral, personally, to support an industry so callous as to the nature of animals. Why does suffering not matter when it happens to animals, but it does when it happens to humans? Why do you draw that line? What's the ethical difference between throwing a live man in a boiling cauldron to eat and throwing a live pig into a boiling vat to eat?

You just went into the karmic circle I was mentioning. There is nothing in reality that indicates that this will actually happen to humans. We will deal with it when we get there, but at this very moment, we're probably not going to have a substantial role reversal to where that question of suffering becomes applicable to us from the victim's perspective. Moreover, I would go as far as to say that it is insulting to assume that people are going to have such a low guard that they'll be duped into doing that to another human on a large scale within a realm of reasonableness.

This is the reality: We're not the pigs and we're not food. On a one-to-one scale, yes, we're deplorable, but we reasonably value human life over the value of that which we will eat. It goes back to my first point about how uphill the vegetarian proposition is. We have to stop eating pigs and stop considering pigs as food for this boiling pot analogy to be remotely equal.

BigLundi wrote...
...Ok, so you say our morals deteriorate the more we advance...why...is that not a good reason to curve the technological advancement in a different direction? We're the ones in control over where our technology develops towards...so can't we control it...you know...not going towards treating animals like nonliving objects incapable of suffering?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to try and curve it, but you're measuring a level of guilt that comes only after you've dwelled on it verses something that actually sustains people. While yeah, you can make the statement that meat companies are heartless bastards, but given that they have to supply to a large amount of perfectly reasonable people, I'm willing to cut them some slack on the basis that they're serving a greater, more tangible ethical need.

BigLundi wrote...

I don't see the parallel. There are legitimate reasons for one, and I personally don't see any for the other. Are you saying that it's inevitable that we're going to have meat shoved in our faces so...just accept it?

Haha, yeah, that doesn't make sense. I apologize. However...

You talk about having meat shoved in your face, but it seems to me that meat is actively pursued by many and therefore this victim position doesn't actually reflect itself in reality. It is provided not out of spite but out of demand. This is a convincing picture you're painting, but it's not an accurate depiction of what is going on.
BigLundi wrote...

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/survival/wilderness/live-without-food-and-water2.htm

supports my statement of 3-5 days with out water. it mentions Thomas McElwee, but says he went 73 days with out food, when other sources* i've found say only 62.

still waiting for the articles supporting your claim of one month with out water, and 'several' months with out food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_McElwee
http://www.bobbysandstrust.com/hungerstrikers/thomas-mcelwee
http://www.irishhungerstrike.com/thomasmcilwee.html
Vegetables, no matter how good they taste, will always taste different than meat. And feel different. They are a whole different thing, hence vegetables can't really substitute meat in those departments, and thus I will always consume meat.

I simply like it, and if I was made to see how an animal was butchered in order to be able to continue eating meat, I would. That being said, I hate animal cruelty as much as the next person, and maybe more, but I simply can't empathize with an animal in the same way I do with an human being.
BigLundi wrote...

Humane: characterized by tenderness, compassion, and sympathy for people and animals, especially for the suffering or distressed

Ummm I just gonna say that's a load of bull. Being humane doesn't really mean you show tenderness, compassion, and all the other hippy shit. Humane means to be human and being human can't categorized in such a soft manner for it is completely natural for humans to show extreme violence, hatred, and darkness in general. Saying anything otherwise is complete ignorance of true human nature.

BigLundi wrote...

Suffering is linked to brain activity and nervous systems. Plants lack these. Proven.

So I am assuming that you believe that they can't suffer with their souls since plants are living beings and all living beings have a soul. Either that or you don't believe in the concept of having a soul.

Another thing, I getting the feeling that you would deem killing with suffering is wrong but killing without suffer is alright; did I hit the nail?
Freaky Green wrote...

So I am assuming that you believe that they can't suffer with their souls since plants are living beings and all living beings have a soul. Either that or you don't believe in the concept of having a soul.

Please , i know that you believe in a shitload of wacky things but remember that it's serious discussion here , so no he probably don't believe in souls (i'm not sure abouth it he can answer himself) but even though in a "serious" discussion you wouldn't take something as an argument that haven't been proven true . Anyway most humans don't believe that plants have souls .
lordisgaea3 wrote...
Freaky Green wrote...

Please , i know that you believe in a shitload of wacky things but remember that it's serious discussion here , so no he probably don't believe in souls (i'm not sure abouth it he can answer himself) but even though in a "serious" discussion you wouldn't take something as an argument that haven't been proven true . Anyway most humans don't believe that plants have souls .

One I am totally being serious here. Two I would appreciate it if you didn't my ideals to be wacky, that's being plain rude, my ideals are just different. However I do understand why you might think they are "wacky" since you clearly not a very deep thinker, no offense. Third, soul might be a bit misleading. It would be more accurate to say their essences, as in energy. Well I won't go in great detail but I think you get the point.

Lastly, the part about you saying of having no proof of the existence of souls all I can say on that is, " Just because you can't see it doesn't mean its a lie. Even if you do see, not everything you see is the truth. If you believe it then it becomes the truth. If not then it becomes a lie."
Freaky Green wrote...
lordisgaea3 wrote...
Freaky Green wrote...

One I am totally being serious here.

The problem is there , you are being serious but you have to understand that no one will take you seriously so this won't lead to a serious discussion ...

Freaky Green wrote...

Lastly, the part about you saying of having no proof of the existence of souls all I can say on that is, " Just because you can't see it doesn't mean its a lie. Even if you do see, not everything you see is the truth. If you believe it then it becomes the truth. If not then it becomes a lie."

This has nothing to do with souls . You're talking abouth seeing things , i believe in things that i can't see and i don't believe in things i see . Why ? Because there is ways other than the sight to determine (or at least presume) if something exist or not . There is ABSOLUTLY NOTHING that can lead to think that souls exist , this is why i and a lot of humans don't believe in souls . Most people that believe in souls believe it on faith from religion and most religions say that plants don't have souls .
NEXUS Since 2010
Whatever floats your boat is my philosophy. I'm an Omnivore and that's all there is to it.
I'm a vegetarian since it's not really working out on a global scale with 7 billion people, considering how much area/energy it takes to produce meat.
lordisgaea3 wrote...

Freaky Green wrote...

This has nothing to do with souls . You're talking abouth seeing things , i believe in things that i can't see and i don't believe in things i see . Why ? Because there is ways other than the sight to determine (or at least presume) if something exist or not . There is ABSOLUTLY NOTHING that can lead to think that souls exist , this is why i and a lot of humans don't believe in souls . Most people that believe in souls believe it on faith from religion and most religions say that plants don't have souls .

.... Dude you must be joking or you haven't thought that statement for more than 10 mins. Okay it would seems that I have to explain here since you not quite getting it, but not too sure if its gonna help get my point to you.

First of all, believing in the existence of souls doesn't mean it believe it due to some religious faith. When I say soul what I really meant was the core of energy of all living and nonliving things. Yes I do believe nonliving beings too have souls, since all things are made of some form of energy, and there are evidence that suggest that energy is flow through a network. Usually, a network would a center, core, or origin and I am saying a soul is that that center. And it is possible for anything to harm a soul if it were able to disrupt the flow of energy going to the soul, which can be done by killing and/or by destroying. So anyone claims that plants, fungi, bacteria, other fellow animals, or nonliving things don't have a soul are using inaccurate information.

Second, my statement about the truth has a lot to do with existence of souls. I assumed that you initially didn't believe in souls since you can't see them, then thought the existence of souls is illogical, then eventually thought the whole idea of souls isn't true, which lead me to bring up the quote of what's really a lie and whats really the truth.

Lastly, the part where you say, "There is ABSOLUTLY NOTHING that can lead to think that souls exist , this is why i and a lot of humans don't believe in souls", well after reading this post maybe you and others may think otherwise and look at souls in a different way.
Freaky Green wrote...

.... Dude you must be joking or you haven't thought that statement for more than 10 mins. Okay it would seems that I have to explain here since you not quite getting it, but not too sure if its gonna help get my point to you.

First of all, believing in the existence of souls doesn't mean it believe it due to some religious faith. When I say soul what I really meant was the core of energy of all living and nonliving things. Yes I do believe nonliving beings too have souls, since all things are made of some form of energy, and there are evidence that suggest that energy is flow through a network. Usually, a network would a center, core, or origin and I am saying a soul is that that center. And it is possible for anything to harm a soul if it were able to disrupt the flow of energy going to the soul, which can be done by killing and/or by destroying. So anyone claims that plants, fungi, bacteria, other fellow animals, or nonliving things don't have a soul are using inaccurate information.

I never said you believed in the religious soul , i did indeed know you were not but it is still a faith .

Freaky Green wrote...

Second, my statement about the truth has a lot to do with existence of souls. I assumed that you initially didn't believe in souls since you can't see them, then thought the existence of souls is illogical, then eventually thought the whole idea of souls isn't true, which lead me to bring up the quote of what's really a lie and whats really the truth.

first i must say i was tired yesterday when i answered to this statement and didn't understand it right but this doesn't mater here is why :

Your statement is describing faith .

Every faith is at a equal level of silliness since faiths are beliefs based on no evidence and it is totaly illogical to believe in something without any evidence.

Let me give you an exemple : the question is : legalisation of drugs , for or against it ?

(this is my faith , i believe in the Agalasa monster)
My answer : I think that drugs should be legal because if you don't do it the next 72 days the Agalasa monster will EAT YOUR SOUL !

You do understand that what i just wrote is a complete nonsens and will never lead to a serious dicussion ? Well when i read what i call your "wacky things" , your faiths , it's the same thing that if you were speaking abouth the Agalasa monster since all faiths are based on the same thing , no evidence . The only moment where faiths will lead to a serious discussion is when the discussion is on the specific faith ...

I want to add that i don't want to break your freedom of expression all i wanted is trying to explain this to you . If you still dont understand then i will just shut myself from now on and never quote you back because of your faiths .

Freaky Green wrote...

Lastly, the part where you say, "There is ABSOLUTLY NOTHING that can lead to think that souls exist , this is why i and a lot of humans don't believe in souls", well after reading this post maybe you and others may think otherwise and look at souls in a different way.

No , since you still didn't give any arguments why i should even consider that souls exist ...
Kutharos Not a dentist
The idea of being a Vegetarian has passed in my mind, but after some thought have seen it as a unnatural, unecessary process for living.

There are two reasons to this:

1. It is unnatural for the body. The nature of being human is that of being an Omnivore. No matter which way I looked at it, I could not find a response as to telling evolution, and my body that they are incorrect for developing this way. Eating meat is not some unnatural thing that Man does alone, it is something that Nature has allowed and shown to be effective in ensuring the survival of a species.

2. I don't see a major concern for animals in general. Do not mistake that I do not care if an animal is abused or not, because it is a concern, but only a secondary concern for me. Pain is temporary, life is temporary, but life last longer than most forms of pain. When I look at animal abuse, all I ask is ' Is the life of the Animal going to last until it's natural death, or are we going to kill it? '

Animals feel pain, but both plants and animals are alive. Even if you decided to just eat plants for food, you are still killing an organism for your own survival. You are still going to consume living things to turn into energy and fuel for your own needs.

That is why I am not a vegan. Remove pain from the equation, and it is clear that you are just eating an organism. The world is not equal in respects to life, and we sadly are in play of this, no matter how much we wish to deny or ignore it.
Hmm let's see, vegetarianism...
It's a way of life, but sadly it has shown repeatedly signs of religion,(CONVERT/CONDEMN THE UNBELIEVERS! ahem!... the meat eaters) making it and its zealots most of the time obnoxious.

There are studies show vegetarianism as a healthier way of life. I'm still skeptical, and I think there couple reasons for one to be.
One of the major reasons someone becomes a vegetarian outside of morality is improvement of health. People that care about their health won't necessarily stop at vegetarianism, exercise and frequent visits to a physician are also possible to follow suit(amongst others), at least in higher % than of the general populace.
The other is inconstant results.

Oxford study
Spoiler:
The overall cancer incidence rates of both the vegetarians and the nonvegetarians in this study are low compared with national rates. Within the study, the incidence of all cancers combined was lower among vegetarians than among meat eaters, but the incidence of colorectal cancer was higher in vegetarians than in meat eaters.

Hmm, higher colorecla cancer rates in vegetarians despite meat being accused for it.
Also lower than national rates for both groups? Perhaps healthy volunteer effect?
If anything can skewer the results of a health related study, look no further.

The Adventist health study
Spoiler:
The Adventist health study is again incorporated into a metastudy titled "Does low meat consumption increase life expectancy in humans?" published in American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, which concluded that low meat eating (less than once per week) and other lifestyle choices significantly increase life expectancy, relative to a group with high meat intake. The study concluded that "The findings from one cohort of healthy adults raises the possibility that long-term (≥ 2 decades) adherence to a vegetarian diet can further produce a significant 3.6-y increase in life expectancy." However, the study also concluded that "Some of the variation in the survival advantage in vegetarians may have been due to marked differences between studies in adjustment for confounders, the definition of vegetarian, measurement error, age distribution, the healthy volunteer effect, and intake of specific plant foods by the vegetarians." It further states that "This raises the possibility that a low-meat, high plant-food dietary pattern may be the true causal protective factor rather than simply elimination of meat from the diet."

On the morality part, while animal abuse in slaughterhouses is a detestable,
I don't find immoral to kill an animal for food, but if you feel morally superior ordering a soy burger, be my guest.

Personally, thanks to my parents until my early high school years I followed something close to Mediterranean diet. I don't anymore, I can't until I learn some heavy duty cooking.
It's a very well balanced diet that is the reason behind Greeks life expectancy(20th out of 190) despite the piss poor standards of living we had until ~1980.(to which we are slowly returning again)

PS.
Someone balance this post. I wanted to, but I accidentally clicked dislike.(natural reflex maybe? oh well)
BigLundi wrote...
No peer reviewed sources for those claims?

Excuse me while I snicker and read the mainstream science that doesn't agree.
Pages Prev1234Next