Dota vs LoL

Pages 12Next
HoN is not included because, let's face it, it's the shittiest out of the 3. A complete copy of DotA, with new heroes coming out that are unbalanced. The only good thing about it is that the graphics are cooler than the Mod (which is a given, of course).

Also, Dota2 is part of Dota, so yeah. But still, it's not fair to compare an unfinished game to one that is finished, so try hard not to include Dota 2 into the debate.

Now, LET THE DEBATE..... BEGIN!!

*grabs a bag of popcorn*
I think League is the better realization of the MOBA to me because it has a significantly stronger team focus. When it comes down to it, no MOBA is better than Starcraft in terms of gauging individual skill, so the more a MOBA leans towards team play, (which SC is not balanced for) the better off it is in context.

While denying is good for getting more player-skill transparency, it also allows for broken design because of how denying affects all stages of the game. In League, it's easier to create staggered levels of effectiveness in champion design. While it is restrictive to some degree, good team coordination, both in the picking stage and in actual play, is absolutely rewarded.

Also, draft mode is a really good way to mitigate the inevitable imbalances that come up with unit design. I don't know if DotA has it, but that feature alone clears up a good majority of the problems that naturally arise in MOBAs.

However, flavor and playstyle on the individual level is better in DotA. DotA has more interesting character design overall and League is playing catch-up in terms of translating roles over to their system.

HoN, however, is worth mentioning because it is the most individual-based of all the popular MOBAs. Hyper-carries in that game are bar-none bonkers. It's not necessarily shit and I know tons for SC2 players that love the spotlight that HoN's core design offers, but I don't really think it takes advantage of the MOBA format.
Lughost the Lugoat
I prefer to play League, though I have and have played all three.

HoN was a bunch of dicks when I was playing.

DotA has some really broken aspects to it, but is still fun to play. Being able to deny creeps and towers is a great tactical option in my opinion. It seemed to me that there was a steep learning curve to the game when I first started, however.

League tries to balance it's champs the most I think. There's a larger focus on team play, even in champ selection. It was easy to begin playing and there are even a few people that will help you get better as a game goes on.
i don't play any one of those! debate finished
Honestly I have never played Dota before, But that game seems to be very nice. Plus I think that Dota2 would be much more balanced then LoL.

In another hand I recently heard that Dota2 will be free to play So...

Forum Image: http://cdn.overclock.net/9/91/913535e2_why_not_both.png
mochure wrote...
In another hand I recently heard that Dota2 will be free to play So...

Confirmed. It's gonna be free to play "with a twist"

Yousei_Empire wrote...
i don't play any one of those! debate finished

Forum Image: http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/342122.jpg
Futanari wrote...
I think League is the better realization of the MOBA to me because it has a significantly stronger team focus. When it comes down to it, no MOBA is better than Starcraft in terms of gauging individual skill, so the more a MOBA leans towards team play, (which SC is not balanced for) the better off it is in context.

Lolwut? In LoL your individual skill is lees important, as you can be the best player in the world, but you won't carry 5 feeders, sorry.

SC2 is primarily solo game, so it naturally emphasizes individual skill. You've got it backwards.

Imo denying (tower denying is cool though) is a silly mechanic which adds nothing to game other than making it longer.

I tried the Dota2 beta, and it completely 'pushed me away'. I'm gonna give it another shot when I have more time.
yanger wrote...
Futanari wrote...

Lolwut? In LoL your individual skill is lees important, as you can be the best player in the world, but you won't carry 5 feeders, sorry.

SC2 is primarily solo game, so it naturally emphasizes individual skill. You've got it backwards.

Imo denying (tower denying is cool though) is a silly mechanic which adds nothing to game other than making it longer.

I tried the Dota2 beta, and it completely 'pushed me away'. I'm gonna give it another shot when I have more time.

Reading is tech, dude.
To me it just comes down to on how the game feels. In dota I feel like a boss since all their hero selection feels unique. Playing LoL on the other hand... feels like if I played them once, I played them all.
Futanari wrote...
yanger wrote...
Futanari wrote...

Reading is tech, dude.

I'm an idiot. Just woke up, and my brain is boiling from working on my thesis in general.
My bad.
......maybe I should've made this a poll, huh?
I prefer Dota over LoL because i can grab middle lane and win a game solely on my skill. Which is pretty much impossible in LoL because the enemy doesn't lose gold when dying and you can't denie creeps.

LoL is still a good game and i enjoy playing it casually.
I prefer LoL than Dota, mostly because of the players in it.
There will be idiots/feeders in both of 'em.

There will always be people with slow upload rates.

However, the deny system I can explain with great interest and a long ass post.

TL;DR: Long story short:

Deny your enemies experience AND gold intake while you watch your own kill ratio. Adds a greater impact on laning while watching your own lane.
Adds another stress level to the playing but keeps players (in a general sense for those with brains) alert besides lazy neutral farming and the mandatory team gank required to sometimes push a lane.
Of course you can take a tower in LoL, but in DotA, denying global money reward is a great tactic, even if your hero dies in the process to one hero or a gank.

Oh, and I found more obnoxious nubs in LoL than I would ever find in DotA, a crowd of incompetent soloists in a fucking amateur orchestra, for all the limited times I've played LoL.
Hell, at least the troll ragers in DotA have some level of skill.
Played DoTA wayy before LoL but it seems LoL caught my interest way better though. I love how there are no INT , STR , AGI types, only AP and AD, I love how every champ can scale good late game and still be useful (Unlike INTs at DoTA, they dont scale at anything, their burst damage falls off late when enemy has built Health and they turn into support heroes).

No hypercarries, no denying, the game focuses you on harassing enemies in the match itself not the initial farm-athon at creeps I usually experience at DoTA. I love the resource system too, not only is there mana, there is also Heat, Energy and Rage meters which I find more interesting.

DoTA is still good. Yes I admit it was fun it will forever remain a classic, but I never really felt attached to the heroes there, they just didnt have that personality LoL champs have. I played a lot of Magina (Anti-mage) and Ursa but I never really felt that bond with that character, I see them as tools. Whereas the LoL champions I saved IP for really made me motivated that I'm playing for something and I'm having fun with that champ I bought.

(DoTA2 haz all heroes unlocked though, cause of the counterpicks, might try it after beta)
YellowNerd wrote...

Are you kidding me?
The players in LoL are all horrible, they either whine or feed.
Yoshii wrote...
YellowNerd wrote...

Are you kidding me?

Yeah I agree that they Whine and feed a lot but it's a lot better than those rage quitters.
YellowNerd wrote...
Yoshii wrote...
YellowNerd wrote...

Are you kidding me?

Yeah I agree that they Whine and feed a lot but it's a lot better than those rage quitters.

You can't expect much from DoTA since it's a custom made map for a game where you can instantly quit.

LoL is built around these things, it's a game in itself.
You can't just quit LoL and start another match like you can in WC3.
It seems that until Dota2 is officially released, this topic is gonna sink deep into the bowels of the Video Game section.

Until that time comes, this topic shall sleep for a year or two.

And when that time comes, I shall step forth and watch with popcorn in hand and soda at the other, at the glorious raging battles that shall forego between the fierce defenders of the two glorious games!
LoL is a childrens game. I played it a few times and it was easy mode, no challenge at all. Metagame and the tactics of the Dota professional scene make LoL's professional scene look like 3rd grade maths compared to calculus. I also disagree about HoN being a copy of dota2, i've spent 400+ hours in both and the games are far more different. HoN is more gank/fast paced than its dota counterpart.

The reality is that if you think LoL is a better game than dota then it's just because you suck.
Pages 12Next