Can they really do that?

Pages 12Next
Like most on this site, I read a lot of manga and watch a lot of anime. One thing that seems to be a constant is that many middle and high school boys and girls can live in their own apartments. Like most, I thought this to be fiction, but considering the number of times that I have seen this, I'm starting to think it's truth. Anyone wanna shine some light on this?
Rent would be an issue. Would be difficult being a full-time student and trying to acquire funds to live by yourself at that age.
Its anime and the parents are always off somewhere/out of the country/rich and their children never have to pay rent.
Sneakyone wrote...
Its anime and the parents are always off somewhere/out of the country/rich and their children never have to pay rent.

This.. or sometimes you just NEVER see the parents.
Underage youths can live on their own, in the states...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emancipation_of_minors
I can't account for Japan though.

I think it's uncommon but not impossible for events such as "parents leave child alone while they go 'a town over' to even 'over seas' for a short duration" to occur. It's just that, it's an incredibly common story mechanic to give main characters a range of personal freedom/independence.
I think it would be possible but, like Kouki said, rent would definitely be problem for these kids unless they have job with very good income for their age to make the rent.
animefreak_usa Child of Samael
You're not required to go to high school. Some kids just get real jobs after 9 th grade since you have to pay for secondary education Before 2010. A lot of private schools and upper high schools have dorms or parents pay for apts. 90 % of the prefecture or local schools don't nor have kids living away from home. No reasons for you to go away for basic education public schools. I cannot say for certain if it common though.
With funding from their parents, surely they can live by themselves

not sure if part-time jobs would give them enough though...
It is quite possible to be a student and live on your own. You just need an outer source of income where it doesn't have to affect your studies.

I guess a student could also pay for his home but I don't see that without affecting his grades.
I kind of prefer it that way, they need their bachelor pad so they can "fuck bitches" without they're parents barging in, not that that happens too much in hentai world anyways
リトルオタクボイ wrote...
I kind of prefer it that way, they need their bachelor pad so they can "fuck bitches" without they're parents barging in, not that that happens too much in hentai world anyways

It does, it just normally not a parent, as well rather it is or isn't, always leads in an increase of active members partaking in the event.
It's not out of the realm of possibility. In Toradora Taiga gets money from her parents to pay for tye apartment, which frankly makes sense.

I knew people who do homestay, but that's something else entirely.
Either way as long as they have some way to pay it off other than a job it's not completely unrealistic. Not very common yes but not impossible.
It is indeed possible. I have a friend who lives here with his sister and the parents are not in the states. I didn't ask any further because then I would be prying into his personal business. He does has decent english. I think his sister works and he focuses on his studies
Stylish-End wrote...
It is indeed possible. I have a friend who lives here with his sister and the parents are not in the states. I didn't ask any further because then I would be prying into his personal business. He does has decent english. I think his sister works and he focuses on his studies

Same here, I have a Mexican friend who can speak conversational english, even though he is at an age where he needs to stay in school, he works and sends some of the money back to his parents in his homeland.
devsonfire 3,000,000th Poster
I did that when I was in high school, I live with my sister though and she was busy with work and stuff so practically I live alone.
Tsujoi Social Media Manager
devsonfire wrote...
I did that when I was in high school, I live with my sister though and she was busy with work and stuff so practically I live alone.

That's not living alone. Not even close. Baby.
devsonfire 3,000,000th Poster
Tsujoi wrote...
devsonfire wrote...

But technically I am, sister never home, got money sent from parents separately, cook for myself by myself, what's the difference?
I know a couple people personaly who lived on there own while In highschool and they have part-time jobs to pay there rent and don't really have much of a problem in that regard. I think it's a rare thing though.
devsonfire wrote...
Tsujoi wrote...
devsonfire wrote...

But technically I am, sister never home, got money sent from parents separately, cook for myself by myself, what's the difference?

I agree with Tsujoi. Since I like, ney, love to be home alone most of the time, that seems like a cool way to live - no worries and always alone. But that's precisely why I agree: no worries.

Your sister worked so I assume she was the one who took care of the bills which is a lot different from being indepedent while still in school.
devsonfire wrote...
Tsujoi wrote...
devsonfire wrote...

The difference between practically and actually is immense. Bills and paperwork are the first things to come to mind. Managing your budget. Actually start to give a shit about cleaning after a while, too.
Pages 12Next