Do you have to know japanese to translate manga well

Pages 12Next
Earlier today i saw that fakku needed translators, i read up a bit on how to translate and im unsure how reliable translation programs are since i dont know any japanese.
Kaimax Best Master-San
Yes you do. Machine translation is an automatic No.

/thread
......That's a really stupid question.
Don't use online translator programs, seriously. You need a human.
It will not work with a online translator, you need somebody who knows how to speak the language fluently.
Fruid Lurker of Threads
Short answer, yes.

If you've lived and worked in the US for at least a few years, you've met some immigrant from a different country that had to learn English and in the process of improving their English. When you communicate to him or her it's fairly obvious that certain phrases you try to communicate are not properly picked up. Similarly, try to translate Japanese without knowing the nuances in the language. Horrible, horrible things occur and babies cry.
caelin360 wrote...
Earlier today i saw that fakku needed translators, i read up a bit on how to translate and im unsure how reliable translation programs are since i dont know any japanese.

悪いけど。

神なんすか?
I shall leave it to the fluent japanese speakers and never again pursue this........ :,( at least no babies had to cry
caelin360 wrote...
I shall leave it to the fluent japanese speakers and never again pursue this........ :,( at least no babies had to cry

You should really become more fluent in English before you try and learn a foreign tongue.
devsonfire 3,000,000th Poster
Mash Karas wrote...
caelin360 wrote...

You should really become more fluent in English before you try and learn a foreign tongue.

If he's planning on translating from Japanese to English, yes, but no if he's planning to translate it to his own language.

You could become editor or proofreaders at least, if you actually want to get involved in translation projects.
Josh is fluent in penisese and limeylog.
Mash Karas wrote...
caelin360 wrote...

Chump.

OT:
Kaimax wrote...
Yes.

/thread
Well atleast you wanted to help.
I guess thanks for that.
From my experience, yes you have to know how the sentences and words work.
I've been translating as a part of my study right now and it's pretty hard, I enjoy it though.
kengenerals wrote...
Mash Karas wrote...
caelin360 wrote...

Chump.

Who? You? Oh, I agree.
Mash Karas wrote...
kengenerals wrote...
Mash Karas wrote...
caelin360 wrote...

Chump.

Who? You? Oh, I agree.

Ha. Me, he says.
kengenerals wrote...
Mash Karas wrote...
kengenerals wrote...
Mash Karas wrote...
caelin360 wrote...

Chump.

Who? You? Oh, I agree.

Ha. Me, he says.

Seems legitimate.
considering people go to school and/or spend years learning how to speak a language to properly translate it I dont think program can really be good.
try out this site

automated translators are ok, but not if you actually want to know the true meaning. not to mention to catch on slang or pop-culture references you have to know some of the culture as well.
you need to know how to use the language, if you just use a robot translator you'll get things like a manga i read from another site tonight and have sentences like

"so are we going to sleep me tonight"

when they were talking about sex.

you have to know what to say when words that arent easily translated come up, like jokes and other things like that.
Pages 12Next