Do you read visual novels?

Pages Prev23456Next

Do you read visual novels?

Total Votes : 3,379
I don't get the appeal of them, but maybe my understanding of what they are is flawed? Someone gimme a good starter suggestion and we'll see what I think of them after that.
For me its Monster Girl Quest followed by Shuffle and Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet.
Forum Image: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/177/2/d/monster_girl_quest_alice_and_heavenly_knights1_by_inifiniysociety89-d54wxqx.jpg
MissM wrote...
I don't get the appeal of them, but maybe my understanding of what they are is flawed? Someone gimme a good starter suggestion and we'll see what I think of them after that.

I'd recommend Deardrops or honestly even Katawa Shoujo to get started into VNs. Both have a great story that's relatively easy to get into.
Of course Deardrops has a higher production value than KS since KS was just done by random people on the net and Deardrops was done by a professional studio in Japan.
Hard to choose but its a three way tie with G-Senjou no Maou, Kara no Shoujo, and Sharin no Kuni. Close seconds have to be Grisaia no Kajitsu, Cartagra, and Majikoi. Oh and how could you forget like all the damn Da Capo games, they're pretty great in a straight forward romance genre... and to think this all started back with a random encounter with Yume Miru Kusuri.
1st はつゆきさくら
2nd できない私が、くり返す
KAMIDORI ALL THE WAY, BABY
As lame as it may be, my favorites are probably Sword Art Online Progressive, and Clannad. ^^
Little Busters! changed my life.
I didn't like the options for the poll. There was no option between yes, I love them, and no, I can't stand them. Personally, I would be in between those two options. Do I read them? Yes, but not very often. I have only read like 3 or 4 over the course of like 10 years.

My favorite one so far is Bazooka Cafe. I am hoping I can save up some money and get Starless because that one looks interesting to me too.
Top VN/eroge:

fapperific - Monster Girl Quest(s)
epic dark drama - Kara no Shoujo
humor - Majikoi (Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai)
best introduction to eroge - Katawa Shoujo
overall - Grisaia no Kajitsu *or* Comyu: Dark Dragon in a Gentle Kingdom
Definitely g-senjou no maou, and Edelweiss
shawurai needs more yuri
Tokino Senka and Seinarukana
My favorite would be my first Vn Sengoku Rance just love the MC and his crazy stuff he does, if you do not count that then my second favorite would be G Senjou no Maou.
My favorite is Yume Miru Kusuri. I was in for the plot though, never fapped to it once.

I also played Osananajimi wa Daitoryou, and the indie VNs deIz and Katawa Shoujo.
Umineko changed my life.
Played a lot of VNs, mostly ero but a few non ero. Chaos;head, Steins;gate, Fate, Type moon in general, Saya no Uta, Never 7, Remember 11, and that's only to name a very small few. Favorites so far are Ever 17, and umineko no naku koro ni.
Ace Attorney changed my life. Ace Attorney is best visual novel, though Ghost Trick was pretty damn fantastical too. I cannot get enough of Ace Attorney!!
My favorite are the ones made by Nitro+, Type-Moon, Key, AkabeiSoft2, & others that I'm lazy to write since I've read a lot of VN titles.
Yamato The Tactician
Steins;Gate, Majikoi, and G-sen are my top three can't really choose a single one as my favorite. I don't fap to visual novels either if I play its for the characters and plot.
Sorry, wall of text..

Only finished a couple, and in the middle of finishing Fate Stay/Night, Eden* and G Senjou no Maou, Steins;Gate, Chaos;Head to name a few (mainstream, I know.) Sadly I am not fluent in Japanese, nor am I proficient in reading my own native language of Chinese, (speaking Cantonese) where there is quite a huge VN community that I am not a part of *cough* 11eyes T/L please.

ef - A Fairy Tale of the Two was the first visual novel that caught my attentio and actually finished That music and art is just ridiculous. You cannot go wrong with Makoto Shinkai animating the OP with Tenmon & Eiichiro Yanagi as the composers.

Another VN that caught stood out for me is not on the computer at all. Anyone here read the Zero Escape series? 999 on the DS, and Virtue's Last Reward on the PSvita/3DS. Very gripping scenario (same person who was a part of the Infinity VN series, Kotaro Uchikoshi), great music and atmosphere, and amazing art. Haven't finished VLR, since I put it on hold after finding a copy of 999. It lacks the art so much since everything was more CG, but the core intensity still remains.
Pages Prev23456Next