[Locked] Big Changes Coming!

Pages 123Next
Big things are coming. Over the next few weeks we'll slowly be removing some scanlations from the website (and over the next few months eventually all of them).

When I have a finalized plan figured out I'll share all the details and some dates, but this tweet might give you a pretty good idea of what we have planned.
Could you be more precise with what you mean by that? I have a feeling a lot of people can misinterpret what you mean.

According to Wikipedia, a scanlation is the process of translating comics to another language. My first thoughts are, "what". Because that makes it sound like you're going to remove all the English translated manga. All we have left then, are stuff in Japanese and stuff that are done in English to begin with.
Those look like magazine covers...
mulrich wrote...

They are.
animefreak_usa Child of Samael
mulrich wrote...

They are. Simulcast versions.
The way it sounds, we'll be losing the majority (and eventually all) of fan translations and while that's happening we'll be gaining two simul-pubbed hentai mags. IIRC they want to get the simul-pub out next day after the official Japanese release. So I can't help but wonder how much work needs to go into that and if there will be any corners cut from our usual FAKKU quality.

FAKKU intends to go completely clean. If you don't already, you'll have to get your fan translations from other hosts. I think the hope here is that going clean will allow FAKKU to proceed with deals with other Japanese publishers. My guess is that after what happened with Wani, Jacob realized that this is probably the natural course for English hentai. The next wave of takedowns could happen at anytime. If FAKKU takes the opportunity to get ahead now, it'll be advantageous for the future.

I've got some lingering questions though.

Anyone who's purchased a book from FAKKU should know by now that reading FAKKU Books online is an ad-free experience. I may be mistaken but I think one of the primary incentives for the upcoming FAKKU Gold subscription was to allow users to disable advertisements site-wide. If FAKKU goes completely legit will there be any ads left to remove? What's going to become of what was Gold if that's the case?

FAKKU reportedly draws in millions of unique users every month. I'm sure only a fraction of those people are Books customers, how does FAKKU intend to cater to non-customers? I'm sure this will inevitably create a large divide between the users, and that's a pretty scary thing to go through with.

Well not all the info has gone public yet so it'll be interesting to see what the official plans are.
ChrisBRosado123 wrote...
FAKKU intends to go completely clean. If you don't already, you'll have to get your fan translations from other hosts. I think the hope here is that going clean will allow FAKKU to proceed with deals with other Japanese publishers.

No way that they have enough time or effort to build up the same database with re-edited doujins. There's just too many of them.
well i hope they know they are killing this site. screw legitimate. this is not a good change.
BitNdragon More Than A God
ChrisBRosado123 wrote...
FAKKU reportedly draws in millions of unique users every month. I'm sure only a fraction of those people are Books customers, how does FAKKU intend to cater to non-customers? I'm sure this will inevitably create a large divide between the users, and that's a pretty scary thing to go through with.

I've actually been wondering that as well. If they are going to keep the website free I'd think they'll have it be similar to crunchyroll with a delayed release that has ads for free users and a next day ad free experience for gold. I guess we'll have to wait to find out though
This explains the essential deletion of the API. It's been down since the beginning of May with absolutely no word from anyone.
a little while ago we lost content that was deemed controversial but it came back with the option to filter it out en masse for those not into it. now that same content is gone again...because fakku is going legit?

if it was fakku's goal to remove illegitimate content to begin with, why did we get the controversial stuff back at all? This is just dicking us around now. and NOT in a good way.
All this jerking around with removing content without warning and where the only explanation is buried in the forums so people have to go hunting for it is getting really old, and the cryptic responses aren't nearly as exciting as OP probably hopes they are.

I was willing to give the site another chance and wait out the removal the first time, but now I think I'll be going elsewhere.
Tony2401 wrote...
All this jerking around with removing content without warning and where the only explanation is buried in the forums so people have to go hunting for it is getting really old, and the cryptic responses aren't nearly as exciting as OP probably hopes they are.

I was willing to give the site another chance and wait out the removal the first time, but now I think I'll be going elsewhere.

Agreed. This secrecy isn't tantalizing anymore, it's simply frustrating after months with zero explanation (no, "big things are coming" is not an explanation) about things breaking (API & logins). I'm going through and recording my favorite authors in a list before they take that down too.

Also, "slowly" seems a bit inaccurate. Immediately all "controversial" content is gone again.
Night Echo wrote...
Tony2401 wrote...

Agreed. This secrecy isn't tantalizing anymore, it's simply frustrating after months with zero explanation (no, "big things are coming" is not an explanation) about things breaking (API & logins). I'm going through and recording my favorite authors in a list before they take that down too.

Also, "slowly" seems a bit inaccurate. Immediately all "controversial" content is gone again.

I actually had no idea the API was broken, I'll get it fixed
Instead of giving us these "teases" why not just tell us what exactly do you plan to do? The lack of transparency is really silly and there is no reason to slowly release information over the next few weeks/months. "Big Changes Coming!" doesn't explain anything at all and you are just wasting people's energy letting to guess what would happen.
Tony2401 wrote...

Exactly, you have to tell your customers/whatever SOMETHING about whats going on BEFORE you make changes. Not after, not only on the twitter until people make a fuss on the main site because not everybody uses the twitter, and please not so cryptic.

people get excited about exciting things, not a removal of content.
Good way to get people out of your site. Most of my favorites are done for.

Just don't delete favorites lists because I want to save the names of every doujin to find them elsewhere.
42 wrote...
Just don't delete favorites lists because I want to save my collections to find them elsewhere.

This, so much this. that said, lets hope it doesn't come to that.
623 FAKKU QA
42 wrote...

Just don't delete favorites lists because I want to save the names of every doujin to find them elsewhere.

Whoa, haven't seen you since you used to debate with BigLundi.

OT: The surprise is simul-pub comics, isn't it? I assume uncensored and translated. My one problem with comic anthologies is I usually only like a couple artists in each.
animefreak_usa Child of Samael
623 wrote...
42 wrote...

Whoa, haven't seen you since you used to debate with BigLundi.

OT: The surprise is simul-pub comics, isn't it? I assume uncensored and translated. My one problem with comic anthologies is I usually only like a couple artists in each.

Depends if the gold gets access or extra payment for me.
Pages 123Next