Comic Kairakuten 2016-01 Preview!

YQII FAKKU Translator
Here's the preview for this month's Kairakuten!

Artists: NaPaTa (Cover), Mozu, Matsukawa, Koume Keito, Sugaishi, Bosshi, Yahiro Pochi, Okara, NaPaTa, Fujimaru, Usagi Nagomu, Katase Minami, Suruga Kuroitsu, Homunculus, Itouei, Mojarin, Gunnousa, Akai Mato, Uo Denim, Picao, siho, LINDA, Sakurai Energy, YUG, Range Murata

Forum Image: https://t.fakku.net/images/upload/Comic-Kairakuten-2016-01.jpg
b_4910138770163_01.jpg

b_4910138770163_02.jpg

b_4910138770163_03.jpg

b_4910138770163_04.jpg

b_4910138770163_05.jpg

b_4910138770163_06.jpg

b_4910138770163_07.jpg

b_4910138770163_08.jpg

b_4910138770163_09.jpg

b_4910138770163_010.jpg

b_4910138770163_011.jpg

b_4910138770163_012.jpg
Wow new Homunculus. This lineup is pretty loaded, looking forward to it!
luinthoron High Priest of Loli
Did I just see my favorite story of all times re-released here? I did indeed! Would be nice to see something new from Homunculus as well, though...

And now that I'm done being distracted by that much greatness, the rest looks nice as well.
ChrisBRosado123 wrote...
Wow new Homunculus. This lineup is pretty loaded, looking forward to it!

It's actually an older chapter being re-released as sort of a "best of" thing, they've been including them in Kairakuten for a year or two. Last months was Bosshi's My Lady Loves Bathing. @yqii will be able to followup with some more info
Still kinda weird to rehash content, with them having an entire rehash magazine for that (Hanaman), which just few months ago got a Homunculus entry to boot.
YQII FAKKU Translator
Tenzou wrote...
Still kinda weird to rehash content

I believe it's mainly a way to showcase the long history of the magazine, as well as the growth of the artists featured. It not as obvious with a relatively new artist like Homunculus, but there's a not yet released Tsukino Jyogi chapter from an older issue that dates back to 2000, and there's naturally a much greater contrast between that chapter and modern works by that artist.

In a way it also works in our favor, because while we can't possibly go back and localize 20 years worth of content any time soon, this allows us to do a few chapters here and there from the vast library. Even if it's not an entire book, more Homunculus is something users have asked for, so I think this will at least please some.

Finally, I don't think it's ever a waste for us to work on something that's been scanlated in the past. While some elements are subjective, like the translation—outside of actual mistranslations, what makes one translation better than another typically comes down to taste—there are ways in which our releases are simply objectively better—such as working with the uncensored source material rather than imperfect scans. This is also one of the reasons why we don't have any problems with the scanlation scene. We won't force anyone to stop translating something that we'll work on, and something already being scanlated doesn't stop us from doing our own version.

I went off on a bit of tangent there in the last paragraph, but the short of it is this: I too would like to see new stories from Homunculus and the rest of the artists, but there's definitely value in these older works too.
artcellrox The Grey Knight :y
luinthoron wrote...
Did I just see my favorite story of all times re-released here? I did indeed! Would be nice to see something new from Homunculus as well, though...

And now that I'm done being distracted by that much greatness, the rest looks nice as well.

I don't seem to recognise that one... what was the title of that again?
artcellrox wrote...
luinthoron wrote...

I don't seem to recognise that one... what was the title of that again?

Milk no Jikan / Milk Time. Chapter 10 of Hajirai Break.
Papa Nito Enemy Stand
I can definitely go for that Napata. If it is a rehash, then it's something I haven't previously read. So this should be a real treat either way.
GODsHandOnEarth (Not-so-)Grim Reaper
The Akai Mato preview looks quite interesting but I have a feeling the main character will end up in a chastity device...
WitnessX Starship Captain
YQII wrote...
In a way it also works in our favor, because while we can't possibly go back and localize 20 years worth of content any time soon, this allows us to do a few chapters here and there from the vast library. Even if it's not an entire book, more Homunculus is something users have asked for, so I think this will at least please some.

What about the older tankoubons?
YQII FAKKU Translator
WitnessX wrote...

We're definitely keeping older titles in mind when picking what to localize. Hanafuda from 2002 and Shoujo Material from 2008 are two examples of older books that we've already released—first chapter of Shoujo Material comes out in a few hours, so close enough. A few weeks ago, we also picked up Mucchiri Sukebe (which came out in early 2014) alongside a brand new, unannounced title.

We can only do so much—currently around three books every two months—and I think our focus should be on offering a variety of new artists, and picking up new titles from popular artists we've published in the past (such as Bosshi and Kisaragi Gunma). However, if there's no new title coming out in the foreseeable future, we'll probably consider an older one, so it's more likely that we'll do an older book by Homunculus than, say, MEME50.
YQII wrote...
However, if there's no new title coming out in the foreseeable future, we'll probably consider an older one, so it's more likely that we'll do an older book by Homunculus than, say, MEME50.

I really hope you do, Hajirai Break has some of my absolute favorites and I would love to have it in physical form as well.
I saw quite some that seem interesting. I can't wait for them to be released o_o
WitnessX Starship Captain
YQII wrote...
WitnessX wrote...

We're definitely keeping older titles in mind when picking what to localize. Hanafuda from 2002 and Shoujo Material from 2008 are two examples of older books that we've already released—first chapter of Shoujo Material comes out in a few hours, so close enough. A few weeks ago, we also picked up Mucchiri Sukebe (which came out in early 2014) alongside a brand new, unannounced title.

We can only do so much—currently around three books every two months—and I think our focus should be on offering a variety of new artists, and picking up new titles from popular artists we've published in the past (such as Bosshi and Kisaragi Gunma). However, if there's no new title coming out in the foreseeable future, we'll probably consider an older one, so it's more likely that we'll do an older book by Homunculus than, say, MEME50.

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

Casting my vote for Hajirai Break.
YQII wrote...
Tenzou wrote...
Still kinda weird to rehash content

I believe it's mainly a way to showcase the long history of the magazine, as well as the growth of the artists featured. It not as obvious with a relatively new artist like Homunculus, but there's a not yet released Tsukino Jyogi chapter from an older issue that dates back to 2000, and there's naturally a much greater contrast between that chapter and modern works by that artist.

Finally, I don't think it's ever a waste for us to work on something that's been scanlated in the past. While some elements are subjective, like the translation—outside of actual mistranslations, what makes one translation better than another typically comes down to taste—there are ways in which our releases are simply objectively better—such as working with the uncensored source material rather than imperfect scans. This is also one of the reasons why we don't have any problems with the scanlation scene. We won't force anyone to stop translating something that we'll work on, and something already being scanlated doesn't stop us from doing our own version.

I went off on a bit of tangent there in the last paragraph, but the short of it is this: I too would like to see new stories from Homunculus and the rest of the artists, but there's definitely value in these older works too.

I like and respect your opinion, very interesting take, I still think you're giving them too much credit and they're just filling on missing deadlines. I honestly don't recall any instances of this in the past, but if they did happen and I missed them they were not a recurring trend or never felt on purpose.

Look at Comic Penguin (all three), they've been doing this recycling thing for over a year, with a lot of names (be it Takuji or Cuvie or whatever), and the same happened to Comic Sigma (went from okay second fiddle akaneshinsha magazine to not-hanaman).

In a business that saw roughly ten magazines either dying and/or being rebooted over three years (we lost Potpourri Club last month and Ero-Tama which was already a rebooted Junai Kajitsu was again rebooted into JSCK), you cannot help but be suspicious.
I recognize that art! That's fucking NaPaTa! so much yes.
Dammit might just sub insta because NaPaTa <3
Hertzfeldt I don't self insert...
That's weird. What happened to Be Dears??
Tsujoi Social Media Manager
Hertzfeldt wrote...
That's weird. What happened to Be Dears??
It's still there, turn the controversial filter off in your settings.