A Story About Metamorphosis!

Hey everyone! With the preorder of "Metamorphosis" starting, I figured I would share a little anecdote about how we decided on the title for this book.

The original title of the book is “Henshin” with the subtitle “emergence.” Some of you might be familiar with the Japanese word “henshin” which basically means “transform.” You’ve probably heard it at some point during a super sentai series.

Forum Image: http://orig03.deviantart.net/2ad8/f/2015/221/f/8/jokerhenshin_by_ninjaman44-d9509ue.gif

In relation to this book, it means “changing” or “rebirth” and given the subtitle and imagery, a butterfly emerging from its cocoon reminded us of “metamorphosis.” We struggled with which aspect of "Henshin" was most important for the English title. Was it the change, or rebirth? Then I decided, “why not go straight to the source?” I had a trip to Japan planned already and set up a meeting with Shindo L.

It was very excellent to meet with him and since he’s from New York, it was a fun and easy conversation in English. He’s actually a really nice guy, despite what you might think after reading his work! I brought up the title of the book and our ideas to see if he had any preferences since, well, it’s his book. He said that the title “Henshin” is the Japanese translated title of the Franz Kafka novella, “Metamorphosis.” Aha! We were on the right track! It made perfect sense! That quickly removed any doubt and voila! We had a title for our new FAKKU book.

Forum Image: https://t.fakku.net/images/upload/metamorphosis_jacket.PNG

Getting the chance to talk with Shindo L about the title of “Metamorphosis” was a dream come true. For all of our book releases we get feedback from the artists before release, but it’s not every day we have the opportunity to speak with an artist face to face and get their input directly. It means a lot to me and our team here at FAKKU and I hope it means something to you too. We want to keep bringing you great releases treated with accuracy and care, so I hope you’ll continue to support us!

Thanks for giving this a read! Hope you enjoyed it.

-Mike Ingraham
Creative Director
TrixieTang Magical NTR Princess
Kafka would be proud.
EddieBeInBeddie Tea, Coffee, Glances
The fact you took the opportunity to talk to him about it to get it right...

I appreciate the work a lot of fan/ scanlators do. But if me giving you money lets the Fakku team do stuff like this, or bring artists over here, or just translate better...

Then to quote a great sage, shut up and take my money.

(Although, since Toku is my wheel house... that ain't no sentai GIF! That's Kamen Rider W/ Double!

(A good choice, though, since Kamen Rider has made the simple "Henshin" the series hallmark transformation call)
animefreak_usa Child of Samael
I still would of like the original title being used, but at the end I'm a purist so I rather have orginal artist art then censors so it really a moot point. An alternative cover would be a nice thing.
Ready guys? It's Morphin Time!
mosskobe2 The Cleaner
must_kill_moe_weee wrote...

*Guitar riffs*
ntfakku Reads & Collects Stuff
mosskobe2 wrote...
must_kill_moe_weee wrote...

*Guitar riffs*

Go! Go! Drugged up... Rangers?
shibby06 Hentai Aficionado
Slightly ironic how simple it was for you to solve the translation query, considering it relates to Kafka.

My Shindo L Franz Kafka short story:
You go to Tokyo to see Shindo L. Upon arrival outside the building, there is a guard who says "You may not pass without permission", you notice that the door is open, but it's closed enough for you to not see anything.

You point out that you can easily go into the building, and the guard agrees. Rather than be disagreeable, however, you decide to wait until you have permission.

You wait for many years, and when you're an old, shriveled wreck, you ask:

"During all the years I've waited here, no-one else has tried to pass in to see Shindo L, why is this?",
and the guard answers:

"It is true that no-one else has passed here, that is because this door was always meant solely for you, but now, it is closed forever".

He then proceeds to close the door and calmly walk away.

Now that's Kafkaesque.
EddieBeInBeddie Tea, Coffee, Glances
shibby06 wrote...
Slightly ironic how simple it was for you to solve the translation query, considering it relates to Kafka.

[...]

"It is true that no-one else has passed here, that is because this door was always meant solely for you, but now, it is closed forever".

He then proceeds to close the door and calmly walk away.

Now that's Kafkaesque.

You magnificent bastard. :)
I've been anticipating this book so this article does mean a lot.

In any case I thought the title "Metamorphosis" was great to begin with, it's a more direct word than "emergence" that describes outward and inner changes (of a person) and seems more neutral in terms of good/bad direction, whilst emergence suggests something great to be born out of convergence.
I associate butterflies with a metophore for life at its most beautiful, and at the brink of death. (a song from my youth messed me up)
I must have pulled up the cover image over 20 times by now, the original that is. The english one is perfect but for now it lacks the back.

Before me lies a long 7 days wait before the finale and a long read to follow.
I'm grateful that this book is getting such thorough care, and certain that the impact will reflect the effort that was put into making it.