Fakku's Unofficial Metal Thread

Pages Prev1234Next
artcellrox The Grey Knight :y
OK, so I'm starting to compile my metal albums of 2013 list. So far, I got these.

TesseracT - Altered State

Spoiler:

Means End - The Didact

Spoiler:

The Ocean - Pelagial

Spoiler:

AURAS - Panacea

Spoiler:
Within the past week, I've picked up on an amazing black metal musician by the name of Gallowbraid. So far, he's only released an EP called Ashen Eidolon and a track for a compilation. His stuff is pretty good and I haven't stopped listening to him since I first listened to it. My favorite song from him at this time is "Oaken Halls of Sorrow" (linked in the first spoiler).

The three songs on the EP
Spoiler:

The two instrumentals
Spoiler:

The song for "Der Wanderer über dem Nebelmeer" compilation

Spoiler:
Chlor wrote...
Here's an album of awesome old school fashion Doom/Psy/Stoner-sumthingsumthing (Because fuck genres.) by Samsara Blues Experiment

I actually just wanted the song that starts at 43:43 but I couldn't find a version that wasn't split up on Jewtube (That song is the remaining 22 minutes of the album.) So fuck that, here's the entire album.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/U4ZzJIvv7Es.*?[/youtube]

I actually started listening to these guys for 'real' a couple of weeks back. I've had a few songs of theirs on my playlist and always thought they were good and all. Then I heard Double Freedom and realized that boy, have I been missing out.

Jesus fuck, I don't even know how to classify this other than orgasmic. For now, I'm putting it in stoner doom. I'm gonna be downloading this, so thanks. I also got into Stoned Jesus as well.
Anyone's thoughts on Epica and Kamelot? I've had people hate on them, especially Kamelot, but never actually tell me why. I've picked them up to see what's with the negative reputation, but ended up enjoying them a lot.
nacho wrote...
Anyone's thoughts on Epica and Kamelot? I've had people hate on them, especially Kamelot, but never actually tell me why. I've picked them up to see what's with the negative reputation, but ended up enjoying them a lot.

I've got to be in the right mood for bands like those. It definitely isn't trash, but it could be argued much of that type of music is over produced. I personally prefer sophisticated, technical musicianship, which I'd say is often missing from metal that is designed for mass consumption. Epica, Kamelot, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, and other bands just strike the wrong note to me since they don't inspire the same feelings I get out of polyrhythms, djent-style guitars, or powerful vocals and lyrics.
I want to add to this thread a couple bands I started listening to here a little while ago; YOB and Witch Mountain. Both bands are doom metal, with YOB being stoner doom, and from my state. I think both are good listens if you want some doom metal.

YOB (really long songs)
Spoiler:

Witch Mountain
Spoiler:

More metal. I'm digging the new music being shared.

Cover of Dream Theater - Pull Me Under (Progressive)
Spoiler:

These kids are bad ass.

Animals As Leaders - Isolated Incidents (Progressive/Instrumental)
Spoiler:

Hacktivist - Niggas in Paradise Cover (Nu-Metal)
Spoiler:

nacho wrote...

I love both of them, I consider Epica one of my favorite bands, I've seen them live 4 times and own all their CDs. I really liked Kamelot's most recent CD Silverthorn, their new singer did a great job, imo.

It's hard for me to say why people hate on Kamelot, probably either because they associate it with overly cheesy power metal, or because they lack any sort of "brutality", but from my experience, most of the people who hate on them are self entitled elitist pricks who hate them because someone on a message board somewhere told them they should.

Here's a few of my favorite songs from the two to contribute to the thread.

Epica - Fools of Damnation
Spoiler:

Epica - Design Your Universe
Spoiler:

Epica - Consign to Oblivion(they always do this as the last song in their live set, its soooo awesome live)
Spoiler:

Kamelot - Ashes to Ashes(new stuff)
Spoiler:

Kamelot - Elizabeth II: Requiem for the Innocent
Spoiler:

Kamelot - Zodiac
Spoiler:
I picked up Five Finger Death Punch's new album "The Wrong Side Of Heaven and The Righteous Side Of Hell" and I gotta say it's fucking amazing!

I think so far my favorites are

Burn Motherfucker
Spoiler:

I.M. Sin
Spoiler:

Wrong Side Of Heaven
Spoiler:

and

Anywhere But Here
Spoiler:

sorry about that one...only decent audio one I could find.
Pervy Fatman wrote...
I picked up Five Finger Death Punch's new album "The Wrong Side Of Heaven and The Righteous Side Of Hell" and I gotta say it's fucking amazing!

I like their new album as well, but it's kind of growing on me more.

The songs that I like are:

• Watch You Bleed

• Wrong Side of Heaven

• I.M.Sin

• Anywhere But Here

• M.I.N.E (End This Way)

• Mama Said Knock You Out
Gallowloch wrote...
Pervy Fatman wrote...

• Watch You Bleed

• Wrong Side of Heaven

• I.M.Sin

• Anywhere But Here

• M.I.N.E (End This Way)

is it me or is the Mama Said Knock You Out cover ridiculously cool?
Pervy Fatman wrote...
Gallowloch wrote...
Pervy Fatman wrote...

• Watch You Bleed

• Wrong Side of Heaven

• I.M.Sin

• Anywhere But Here

• M.I.N.E (End This Way)

Is it me or is the Mama Said Knock You Out cover ridiculously cool?

I think it's ridiculously cool. How they made it more aggressive makes for a good cover.
Glad to see other metalheads here. New to the forum, so forgive me if my post is a bit messy.

2013 has shaped up to be a pretty damn good year. Having Carcass, Ulcerate, and Gorguts all release albums in the same year is like a dream come true (now all I eagerly await is Atheist's next album). Here are some stuff that I particularly enjoyed so far.

Katalepsy (Brutal Death Metal from Moscow. Their latest EP is just colossal)
Spoiler:

Abyssal ("Massive-wall-of-oppressive-sound" black metal)
Spoiler:

Beyond (Blackened Death Metal from Germany)
Spoiler:

Tengger Cavalry (Chinese Nomadic Folk Metal)
Spoiler:

There's a lot more, but they fall under the djent/progressive category, so I'll post those in that thread.
Ngejo Completed Ioomic Life
CoiledFate wrote...

Tengger Cavalry (Chinese Nomadic Folk Metal)
Spoiler:

Holy crap, a guy that likes Tengger Cavalry too. High five man.

Have anyone posted Carcass's Captive Bolt Pistol yet?
Because that song is pretty damn amazing.
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/nSsrKl6HtAw.*?[/youtube]
We have another Tengger Cavalry fan here? Hell yes.

And Carcass's album has enough potential to be MAOTY, though it's going to have some stiff competition with new Gorguts

Spoiler:

and new Ulcerate

Spoiler:

Also I wonder if anyone here listens to brutal/slam death metal.

Extermination Dismemberment
Spoiler:

Necrambulant
Spoiler:

Coprocephalic
Spoiler:

EDIT: I don't know why the videos are not being shown ;_;
CoiledFate wrote...
We have another Tengger Cavalry fan here? Hell yes.

And Carcass's album has enough potential to be MAOTY, though it's going to have some stiff competition with new Gorguts

Spoiler:

and new Ulcerate

Spoiler:

Also I wonder if anyone here listens to brutal/slam death metal.

Extermination Dismemberment
Spoiler:

Necrambulant
Spoiler:

Coprocephalic
Spoiler:

EDIT: I don't know why the videos are not being shown ;_;

Take the "s" out of "https."
Gallowloch wrote...

Take the "s" out of "https."

Wow, one letter renders the whole thing unable to embed. Will definitely keep that in mind next time! Thanks!
Another metal-lover here, though I also dabble in electronic and industrial, especially bands that combine these. With a guilty pleasure for vocaloid but let's forget about that (although some of the Luka users on YouTube occasionally cook up something awesome...)

Bands I am currently listening to in no particular order:

Dir en Grey - This song is kinda Japanese death metal but they vary a lot

Spoiler:

Crossfaith - metalcore with an electro/dance vibe

Spoiler:

Feed Her To The Sharks - Melodic Metalcore

Spoiler:

Heart of a Coward - Meshuggah-y prog metal

Spoiler:

Sylosis - Thrash of a more traditional bent

Spoiler:

Blood Stain Child - Japanese blend of metal and trance, inspired by In Flames

Spoiler:

SiM - Japanese metalcore/punk/reggae combination. Whatever it is, it works:

Spoiler:

Bury Tomorrow - Metalcore

Spoiler:

Exist Trace - Female Visual Kei Metal Band. They vary in hardcore-ness but this is a good-un:

Spoiler:

Also Happy to see Periphery and Hacktivist mentioned previously, as they feature a LOT on my music player right now. Favourite songs (which don't appear to have been mentioned) are Elevate for Hacktivist:

Spoiler:

and Ragnarok for Periphery:
Spoiler:

Hope my additions are worthwhile :)
Angel Vivaldi - A Martian Winter
Spoiler:

Betraying The Martyrs - Man Made Disaster
Spoiler:

Make Them Suffer - Widower
Spoiler:

Woe,Is Me - [&] Delinquents
Spoiler:

Just a little list of what I listen too :P, This isn't probarly metal but I like it xD.
I've been listening to Sleep here recently, and I'm now in fucking love with Dopesmoker. Such a great song/album that truly captures stoner metal.

Pages Prev1234Next