[Anime] Sword Art Online (Postponed to Summer 2012)

Stylish-End wrote...
Do they ever beat the Tower? I never read the light novels, so I dont know. Just wondering who would be on floor 100 cause Kayaba gone.

Spoiler:
Nope. The company that took over buffed/changed all of the floor bosses and increased the difficulty drastically so they have not finished it in the current story line.
Hey all, I figured this was the most appropriate place to link this in:

Spoiler:

I recommended SAO to a friend of mine, and needless to say he enjoyed it as much as I did. So much in fact that he made this AMV, leave a comment / critique on the vid if you wish.
Thanks. =)
Pennlocke wrote...

Spoiler:

I recommended SAO to a friend of mine, and needless to say he enjoyed it as much as I did. So much in fact that he made this AMV, leave a comment / critique on the vid if you wish.
Thanks. =)

Disregarding the intro/outro, your friend did a good job. The editing is done well and the amv covered most of the series' highlights. I wasn't familiar with the song, but the mood it gives off goes well with the video.
Pennlocke wrote...

Spoiler:

Thanks. =)

I really liked that, the song fit really well. Course you could play scenes from SAO to country music and ide still probly enjoy it because i love that show so much.
Hmmm.

Spoiler:
I dunno if there's anyone, particularly ln readers, in a same opinion with me. But I really must say, this is not a well-done anime. Admittedly there's a lot of scene that was done properly with good animation and all, but overall this anime did not impressed me as much as the novel did. A lot of important moments and meaning back in the novel did not get properly sent through the anime. I see a lot of people disliking Suguha and wanting more of Asuna back in ALO arc, even though it's one of most important thing in ALO arc. And it wasnt done properly IMO, not as much as the novel did. Even most of the battle scene felt more cool inside my head than when I watch the anime, with several exception.

Fortunately to say that the studio decide to add several add-on scene and detail which does not exist in the original ln, and while not all of em is good, most of it is a really good improvisation on the studio part, and I love most of em.

I cant say anything for those who watch the anime first without reading the novels, but I personally am disappointed with how this anime came out overall. It's not bad, but it's not good either. Or maybe I just had over-expectation. I dunno.

Once again, this is just a personal opinion. I'm a sucker for the novel, but not too bad, it made the anime less enjoyable for me.

...Okay, I'll admit it. I think the anime sucked.
castor212 wrote...
Hmmm.

Spoiler:
I dunno if there's anyone, particularly ln readers, in a same opinion with me. But I really must say, this is not a well-done anime. Admittedly there's a lot of scene that was done properly with good animation and all, but overall this anime did not impressed me as much as the novel did. A lot of important moments and meaning back in the novel did not get properly sent through the anime. I see a lot of people disliking Suguha and wanting more of Asuna back in ALO arc, even though it's one of most important thing in ALO arc. And it wasnt done properly IMO, not as much as the novel did. Even most of the battle scene felt more cool inside my head than when I watch the anime, with several exception.

Fortunately to say that the studio decide to add several add-on scene and detail which does not exist in the original ln, and while not all of em is good, most of it is a really good improvisation on the studio part, and I love most of em.

I cant say anything for those who watch the anime first without reading the novels, but I personally am disappointed with how this anime came out overall. It's not bad, but it's not good either. Or maybe I just had over-expectation. I dunno.

Once again, this is just a personal opinion. I'm a sucker for the novel, but not too bad, it made the anime less enjoyable for me.

Hmm...

Spoiler:
I think the problem for people like us is that the novel had so much... more. More detail, more build up, and more excitement. I think the problem is the reason you liked SAO in the first place was because of how detailed all of the story/world is. Which I do as well. Reki is really good at world creation, plot development, and character development. In the anime, you just do not get the same details you get in the ln. Which is a problem that plagues many animes. There are of course some animes that have overcome this as well. But because you have read the ln first, the anime just feels like it is missing a lot of things. And it is.

The fights were mostly well animated in my opinion. The only problem (big one) I have is that kirito only thinks he needs to be "faster" when battling. In the ln he was thinking all kinds of things. Lets look at some excerpts from the kirito vs. kayaba duel:

"But Kayaba—Heathcliff's bronze eyes were cold and desolate. There wasn't a trace of the human emotions that he showed last time.

Suddenly a chill ran down my spine.

My opponent was someone who had mercilessly killed over four thousand people. Could a normal human being do such a thing? The deaths of four thousand, the resentment of four thousand, he could withstand such a pressure and still remain perfectly calm— He was no human, he was a monster."

He is thinking lots of things because kirito is super intelligent. When kirito fights in the anime, I feel like he is portrayed as a hot head when he is actually cool and collected the entire time. Its like he becomes some madman in the anime when he fights and I really hate it.

The other thing is that we just do not get the same amount of character development that the ln has. Everyone is hating on Suguha for some retarded reason when she is one of the best characters in the entire series. The anime just did not present it well and is missing the many looks the reader has into her psyche. The reasons she loves kirito make more sense and her character in general is a much more enjoyable to read about. And she is the fucking focal point of the ALO arc, NOT Asuna. Asuna is a secondary character in the ALO arc.

Anyway, you said that the anime sucks right? Look at all the other fucking anime that was coming out, except for Magi cuz its great, and say that to me again. I think it looks pretty fucking good up against Girls und Panzer.

My swearing is not targeted at you, but is just an expression of my frustration in general. And this shit is an opinion.
Loki1321 wrote...
castor212 wrote...
Hmmm.

Spoiler:

Hmm...

Spoiler:
I think the problem for people like us is that the novel had so much... more. More detail, more build up, and more excitement. I think the problem is the reason you liked SAO in the first place was because of how detailed all of the story/world is. Which I do as well. Reki is really good at world creation, plot development, and character development. In the anime, you just do not get the same details you get in the ln. Which is a problem that plagues many animes. There are of course some animes that have overcome this as well. But because you have read the ln first, the anime just feels like it is missing a lot of things. And it is.

The fights were mostly well animated in my opinion. The only problem (big one) I have is that kirito only thinks he needs to be "faster" when battling. In the ln he was thinking all kinds of things. Lets look at some excerpts from the kirito vs. kayaba duel:

"But Kayaba—Heathcliff's bronze eyes were cold and desolate. There wasn't a trace of the human emotions that he showed last time.

My opponent was someone who had mercilessly killed over four thousand people. Could a normal human being do such a thing? The deaths of four thousand, the resentment of four thousand, he could withstand such a pressure and still remain perfectly calm— He was no human, he was a monster."

He is thinking lots of things because kirito is super intelligent. When kirito fights in the anime, I feel like he is portrayed as a hot head when he is actually cool and collected the entire time. Its like he becomes some madman in the anime when he fights and I really hate it.

The other thing is that we just do not get the same amount of character development that the ln has. Everyone is hating on Suguha for some retarded reason when she is one of the best characters in the entire series. The anime just did not present it well and is missing the many looks the reader has into her psyche. The reasons she loves kirito make more sense and her character in general is a much more enjoyable to read about. And she is the fucking focal point of the ALO arc, NOT Asuna. Asuna is a secondary character in the ALO arc.

Anyway, you said that the anime sucks right? Look at all the other fucking anime that was coming out, except for Magi cuz its great, and say that to me again. I think it looks pretty fucking good up against Girls und Panzer.

My swearing is not targeted at you, but is just an expression of my frustration in general. And this shit is an opinion.

It's like comparing butter (SAO) and margarine (Girlz und Panzer).
Anyway, my point is, this time, A-1 Pictures sucks. And they fucked up SAO, big, time.

Oh, and I dislike, almost hate the Magi anime. Somehow it felt like a blasphemy to the manga.

IMO.
Loki1321 wrote...
castor212 wrote...
Hmmm.

Spoiler:

Hmm...

Spoiler:

This isn't a problem that's exclusive to anime. It's a well known fact that books/literature, the written form, will be better than any anime/movie adaptation. Simply because words convey more detail, they make you imagine how awesome it would be.

In my opinion,
Spoiler:
I started off watching SAO's anime first, and I remember I didn't like the first few episodes (the side stories), like how they would introduce a character (Silica, Lisbeth), then wouldn't show her again in the next episode. It felt like there was no link between episodes. And also, I just felt like there were too many plot holes in the anime, which is why I started reading the LN. It cleared up most of the holes, and also felt more engaging than the anime. And after reading more, it was quite obvious the anime was inferior to the LN, like how they skipped some chapters (Tonkii??).

But even with it's flaws, I still enjoyed watching it, only now I would start comparing it to the LN. Right now, I just hope they improve and do a better job with season 2. Sinon seems like a very interesting character, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they portray her.

TL; DR : LN much better, anime not as good, hope they don't screw up GGO
Am I one of the only ones who liked both the anime and the LNs? I do like the LNs better but I thought they still did a good job with the anime. I mean yeah, it's not gonna be perfect but it was still enjoyable nonetheless. I did read the LNs first btw.
Kaimax Best Master-San
castor212 wrote...

Anyway, my point is A-1 Pictures sucks.

-Idolmaster
-Space Brother
-Working
-Anohana
-Kannagi

Hate the Director/Screen Writer or simply the anime, not the Company itself. another example, Deen was infamous with Fate/Stay Night, but that doesn't mean all of their animes "sucks". Blaming the whole company for just one title is just unfair.

and seriously, Hate is a strong word.
Kaimax wrote...
castor212 wrote...

Anyway, my point is A-1 Pictures sucks.

-Idolmaster
-Space Brother
-Working
-Anohana
-Kannagi

Hate the Director/Screen Writer or simply the anime, not the Company itself. another example, Deen was infamous with Fate/Stay Night, but that doesn't mean all of their animes "sucks". Blaming the whole company for just one title is just unfair.

and seriously, Hate is a strong word.

Hmm, true. Lemme edit and rephrase my post.
Started and finished this series. Worth watching. The SAO bosses were a joy to look at and watch them destroy people.
animefreak_usa Child of Samael
Spoiler:
Did all the dead players come back or was i still high?

I bearly watched 25 and not gonna backtrack though this thread on my phone.
animefreak_usa wrote...
Spoiler:

You're high.
Loki1321 wrote...
animefreak_usa wrote...
Spoiler:

You're high.

lol.
fuwaruu wrote...
Loki1321 wrote...
animefreak_usa wrote...
Spoiler:

You're high.

lol.

Spoiler:
When why was there SOA players in coma awaking up at the end? Wasn't thinker killed in the soa saga?
animefreak_usa wrote...
fuwaruu wrote...
Loki1321 wrote...
animefreak_usa wrote...
Spoiler:

You're high.

lol.

Spoiler:
When why was there SOA players in coma awaking up at the end? Wasn't thinker killed in the soa saga?

Spoiler:
Thinker lived. The people waking up from the comas were the people from SAO that Sugou was experimenting on. Sugou took about 300 people who lived from Aincrad and trapped them in ALO.
Ahhhhhhhh... well shit then.
I kinda dislike how everyone at Random Curiosity hates on the anime with the blogger only talking about the negative aspects. But despite that nothing can change my opinion that invincible hero protagonists are cool and SAO is a well done story.
623 FAKKU QA
Sprite wrote...
I kinda dislike how everyone at Random Curiosity hates on the anime with the blogger only talking about the negative aspects. But despite that nothing can change my opinion that invincible hero protagonists are cool and SAO is a well done story.

Well, there's a reason they hate on it. I'll admit it's unfair to only focus on the negatives since SAO had good points, but it had glaring flaws too (more so in the latter half). Plot was shitty in ALO, Asuna didn't do jack, the antagonist was goofy and totally unbelievable as a human being, Yui was Deus Ex Machina: the character, and Kirito's a Gary Stu. You said you like Gary Stus, which is fine, but in the world of good writing, having a main character that you can relate to, that has flaws, is generally better.

Now, SAO wasn't all bad; it had good visuals and battles. The SAO universe was intriguing. I won't let it be said that it had a well done story though (at least with the anime).