[Locked] FAKKU State of the Union 2016

SenatorSmash Lord Knows I'd Smash
TheOnlyKami wrote...

I do understand where you are heading, but I think you misunderstand the fact that I do not want to create a copy of old Fakku, instead I want another standalone site that supports fakku because the original user base came from fakku. If supporting fakku will bring about its downfall, then by all means, no relations at all should be had.

While your intentions for FAKKU may be good for them economically (and personally, for the economic part, I even find that to be a stretch), overall, it's a very poor/risky decision to do.

Any chance of getting caught with something risky like this means absolute destruction for anything FAKKU-related and any future hopes and dreams FAKKU may have had for their business. The risk to reward ratio favors the risk way too much for a plan like this to work.

Also, having a website like this in general is just in poor tastes, morally, for what FAKKU is trying to bring to the West. "Yeah! Lets gain Japan's trust and go behind their back!" Not exactly a great light to be viewed in even by FAKKU's most loyal fans.

Since you come from a business background, I'm kind of surprised that you haven't pieced together how detrimental such a move could be for FAKKU.
Well, as sad as I am to see it go, I must admit that this did not come as a surprise, nor is it unjustified. I've purchased a few books (can't have them shipped here, shipping would be astronomical) in the digital copies, and that's also about what I could afford. I may some day be able to afford a subscription, but until then I'll keep visiting from time to time just to see if there's a book I like. I hope you understand, I'm on a fairly tight budget to begin with, and breathing room is pretty important. Figure I'd at least give an explanation as to why my own viewership will diminish some.

Overall, I want to wish you good luck in your endeavours here, it is a highly respectable goal to get artists paid for their work, no matter where they are. Thank you for taking your first step in that direction, I truly do hope you succeed as a website!
I understand the rationale behind the removal of content, but why couldn't the catalogue be left behind? Now my collection is totally empty and I can't remember what titles I actually favorited...
Well, it was a fun ride. Time to move on, Godspeed.
animefreak_usa Child of Samael
koja6049 wrote...
I understand the rationale behind the removal of content, but why couldn't the catalogue be left behind? Now my collection is totally empty and I can't remember what titles I actually favorited...

In your favorite tab there an export collection link that dl's the list in a json form which notepad or any json reader will list the favorites.
SenatorSmash wrote...
TheOnlyKami wrote...

I do understand where you are heading, but I think you misunderstand the fact that I do not want to create a copy of old Fakku, instead I want another standalone site that supports fakku because the original user base came from fakku. If supporting fakku will bring about its downfall, then by all means, no relations at all should be had.

While your intentions for FAKKU may be good for them economically (and personally, for the economic part, I even find that to be a stretch), overall, it's a very poor/risky decision to do.

Any chance of getting caught with something risky like this means absolute destruction for anything FAKKU-related and any future hopes and dreams FAKKU may have had for their business. The risk to reward ratio favors the risk way too much for a plan like this to work.

Also, having a website like this in general is just in poor tastes, morally, for what FAKKU is trying to bring to the West. "Yeah! Lets gain Japan's trust and go behind their back!" Not exactly a great light to be viewed in even by FAKKU's most loyal fans.

Since you come from a business background, I'm kind of surprised that you haven't pieced together how detrimental such a move could be for FAKKU.

Hmmm, I think you raise very valid points on this issue. And I do agree, the 'economic' efforts to try and satisfy both the consumer and supplier are very stretched and unrealistic, but I think it's the one of the few paths that are available.
Not knowing the statistics of this move by Fakku, I also daresay, the viewership numbers on Fakku must have dropped dramatically. So either Fakku does the 'bringing Japanese stuff the legal way', which is probably destroying their consumer base, they can try this option, which both creates pathways into monetary benefits (though few) and maintaining a healthy audience count.

Like I said, I basically want permission to try recreate the type of thing here. The new site does not have to be a mirror image of fakku, nor does it have to be related at all. But all I want is the type of UI they use here, and also the type of content that comes up here (Not the current stuff). Most importantly, the type of people who frequent this place.

About the business background bit, all I am seeing from this ( whats currently happening now )movement is:
1) Fakku loses a major section of their customer base ( paying or non-paying ), converting the few people who have money on the subscription plans.

However, if the plan somehow goes through( obviously with many revisions such as the removal of fakku as an endorser and supporter of this site )
1) Fakku maintains their customer base (paying and non-paying) and earns money from 'charity' purchases. The money collected would be about the same as the scenario above, because non-paying people will also fork out money.(This is under the presumption that Fakku has lost roughly ~60% of their customer base)
Another benefit of using this scheme is that by maintaining a large customer base, word also spreads faster with more people spreading it. If fakku was a good site, the number of new people flocking in per day in this scenario would take the previous scenario about 2-3 years to grow to such numbers, and obviously on the scenario we have now, Fakku will have to introduce much much more content to lure in new people.
Which helps us come to the conclusion that, by limiting the whole thing by a paywall, you get minimal impact on the secondary aim, which is to advertise on legal Japanese products.

In simpler terms, this is likened to a marketing campaign where they give out freebies, and if you like the product, you would go to the supermarket to buy it.
Well i wanted to suport but its lots of money to me because i live in Brazil and here the dollar is 4 times our money and i can't pay this much but the small time that i passed here was the best tanks.(sorry for the bad english).
luinthoron High Priest of Loli
TheOnlyKami wrote...
In simpler terms, this is likened to a marketing campaign where they give out freebies, and if you like the product, you would go to the supermarket to buy it.

That sounds nice and all, but for a marketing campaign for your company's product, you would normally not use goods stolen from another company. Not to mention, these freebies would be in no way representative of the quality of what Fakku offers.

A much better way to accomplish this freebie campaign would be Fakku's planned rotation of some free chapters.
SenatorSmash Lord Knows I'd Smash
TheOnlyKami wrote...

The freebies, though, are Wani's un-endorsed products.

If the product, the website, or the profits ever, in any way, get traced back to FAKKU, it'll be the same as if FAKKU had tried to sell unlicensed products behind their back. As autonomous as you're trying to make your plan sound like it's unaffiliated with FAKKU, it still, in some way, shape, or form, is being linked to FAKKU.

As much as you may want to try out this plan, I think there's (to be blunt) no chance in hell FAKKU would ever give you permission to do something that could endanger their business like this, both on an economical and moral ground.

luinthoron wrote...

A much better way to accomplish this freebie campaign would be Fakku's planned rotation of some free chapters.

Oh nice! Is that confirmed? I hope so, because I feel like that'd be a nice way to gather some old and new audience members.
animefreak_usa Child of Samael
luinthoron wrote...
TheOnlyKami wrote...

That sounds nice and all, but for a marketing campaign for your company's product, you would normally not use goods stolen from another company. Not to mention, these freebies would be in no way representative of the quality of what Fakku offers.

There was freebies for like a month for the sub chapters.
luinthoron High Priest of Loli
SenatorSmash wrote...
luinthoron wrote...

Oh nice! Is that confirmed? I hope so, because I feel like that'd be a nice way to gather some old and new audience members.

It's something Jacob has mentioned again and again, but so far its possibility and exact specs are still being discussed with Wani, as far as I remember.

animefreak_usa wrote...
There was freebies for like a month for the sub chapters.

If you had bought any books, at least.
blackice85 FAKKU! Gold
SenatorSmash wrote...
TheOnlyKami wrote...

Came to say this. It's one thing to scanlate stuff before, but they've now entered into a business agreement with them in order to be legitimate. Wani actually decided to deal with the people who were infringing on their content all that time, and he's suggesting they stab them in the back so they can have it both ways? It's an insane idea, and as you said I'm shocked he works in business if he thinks being deceptive is a good idea. Maybe it's more common in the West, but that doesn't mean it's a good move.
Likhos01 Monster Girl Lover
blackice85 wrote...
SenatorSmash wrote...
TheOnlyKami wrote...

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking Kami's plan is dumb.
Since you guys decided it this way i hope u choke with your money ^^

Piracy will never die, was fun to be with you those past 6 years, i'm moving to the free sites :)
I won't support it. Fuck you. The best hentai source was lost
You know what's funny. If you kept the Old stuff I would have gotten a subscription. But erasing everything really hurt me. I've been with fakku for so long ( made this account after I decided to make fakku my main site ) and now everything I liked is gone. I'm a uni student, and can't afford the fee right now. But next month I'll start at a really nice job that'll get me like 2000 per semester. With that I could easily afford the subfee. But not after the betrayal you did. I will see what happens, and maybe someday I'll forgive you. But we started as pirates, and we'll go one as pirates. You can do what you want but the internet see is vast, and there are enough ships that are willing to set sail for free and get me where I want yo go. Fakku is a beautiful ship, and had the best books, scans etc... But now it's gone. I'll stay here because I like the community and have a hard nostalgia feeling with fakku.

But sincerely, a big FU!! :)
How disappointing.

Your decision makes sense. But I came to fap. and read good stories in my fap. I can do neither now. What I came for is gone. You have some new stuff (thats quite nice quality!) but there are alternatives that don't take my cash.

it's a shame because you had such a well designed webpage too and a good library. now you have a few very well done mags that I have no interest in. Hell even if I did I'll never see them here.

yah can't undo what you did and I'd say I hope it works for you. I imagine it would be good for the industry. But I can't. I kinda hope you rot. (but kinda don't)
TheOnlyKami wrote...
boltsandguns wrote...
TheOnlyKami wrote...

Let me offer an alternative. [/b]

Recover all the files you have removed and host it on a new website. This new website will not be hosted by you, instead, but an anonymous volunteer group that will be in charge of maintaining the new site, this volunteer group will be from the old fakku, and will be people who are willing to keep this tradition alive.( I'm sure you understand why the anonymous group is needed instead of yourself) After the site has been created, import all the unlicensed stuff there. Put up a small notification for Fakku users that this new site exists. Now, alias Fakku under this new website. Fakku will still remain the website we all love, and maintain the paywall that it needs.

How will Fakku survive?
Fakku will survive by promotion material of the new website. In fact, I would rather see an advertisement from fakku to buy a book than to fuck a milf that lives near me. When new content comes up on the new website, place a small link for the paid version to the Fakku website. Instead of making people who want to view content pay, make people who love the content and want to 'own' it pay. No doubt that you will not obtain as much money as you did before, but this stop-gap measure satisfies 2 groups of people and leave the 3rd group grasping at nothing, but still generating revenue for the artists. 1. You, as the host of the site, 2. the people who frequent Fakku, 3. the Japanese authorities who try to hunt the anonymous group down.

I think my plan is pretty fool-proof, and any further suggestions would be awesome. Heck, if you decide to take on the plan, I'll be more than happy to admin the new site.

But if not, goodbye Fakku,
We had good years, and now it's time for change.

Words cannot express how fucking awful this idea is, Wani and any other publisher would drop FAKKU in an instant if they tried this. Before you bring it up 'lol anon group is running it' isnt a defense the publishers are not required to work with FAKKU, its an olive branch that they have so far put up with the transition period.

How so? If you're actually smart enough you would not leave any proof of what you do. I do believe Wani and the publishers are linked to fakku by some kind of contract, and if Wani or the other publishers cannot find any proof that this new website is in any way sponsored or supported by fakku, what right do they have to drop it? They themselves would incur charges if they randomly pointed accusations at Jacob.
Besides, so what if new content stops? we're talking about the majority of the population who want the old database back, not the people who don't mind the paywall.
I'm only asking Fakku to donate their old database to pirates who want to keep the dream alive.
I don't know whether you've thought about what you said, but a lot of projects take this kind of turn when the problem of legality shows up, and I see no difference.

Are you serious?

So basically you saying don't just do it behind their back but be super super secret about it and you'll never get caught. Now apart from the moral argument which is that this endevor is supposed to be about making sure the original artists get paid for their hard work are you seriously guranteeing they'll never get caught?? That's bloody naive.

"Donate to pirates".....sigh...
blackice85 FAKKU! Gold
jsa92 wrote...
How disappointing.

Your decision makes sense. But I came to fap. and read good stories in my fap. I can do neither now. What I came for is gone. You have some new stuff (thats quite nice quality!) but there are alternatives that don't take my cash.

it's a shame because you had such a well designed webpage too and a good library. now you have a few very well done mags that I have no interest in. Hell even if I did I'll never see them here.

yah can't undo what you did and I'd say I hope it works for you. I imagine it would be good for the industry. But I can't. I kinda hope you rot. (but kinda don't)

Alright, you're not the only one to say something of the sort here so I don't mean to pick on you, but I gotta ask. Why? Do you really want Japanese creators and business to ignore the West? Should we always be begging for scraps? I'm thankful for all the work scanlators have done, but is that how it should always be?

I get that not everyone can afford it, but wishing failure upon the Western market for hentai (what little of it there is at this point), I just don't get it. Honestly it comes off really immature, I feel embarrassed to see it.
I understand the decision; scanlation sites never last for long. At least, you're assured you'll survive this way... and get payed for surviving! ^.^

One question though: I subscribed on impulse, but I don't even know how to cancel my subscription. Are there instructions as to how to manage one's subscription and things like that?