[Locked] New Premium Reader Beta Testing Thread

Pages 12345NextLast
Daiz FAKKU Developer
So I've been working on a new version of the Premium Reader, and at this point it's usable enough that we've decided to start a subscriber-only beta for it!

Enter the beta here.

You can also leave the beta from the same link afterwards.

So what's in the beta reader compared to the current reader? Most notably, it has two much-requested features:

Thumbnail View

Forum Image: http://arinashi.com/img/c4q7bu15.png

Two-Page Mode

Forum Image: http://arinashi.com/img/iuzk9pv3.png

We're looking for user feedback on the performance of the new reader.

This is the main reason why we're opening up the beta to you all. So if you have iPhones, iPads, Android phones, Android tablets, give the new reader a try and report back how it works! Of course, you don't need to limit your feedback to just the performance - feel free to throw any ideas, thoughts or comments at us!

Reporting issues

Since the reader is still in beta, there's bound to be issues around here and there. When reporting said issues, it would be helpful to:

• Tell what device you are using

• Tell what browser you are using

• Making sure both of those are as up-to-date as possible!

Using the New Reader

The new reader functions largely the same as the old one in terms of keyboard/mouse/touch controls, so you can refer to the existing Premium Reader Help for that. There are some new options in the Options Menu, though, and here's what they are:

Page Display Mode

This gives you three options, Single Pages Only, Singles with Spreads and Two Pages when Possible, with the default the middle one. To enable two-page mode, simply choose the last option. Note that basically all sub chapters start with on a single page, though. Right now, the first two options also will always give you just single pages, as we don't have the proper metadata for spreads available right now, but later on this should show you any two-page spreads as such by default while any other pages will be displayed alone.

Mouse Sensitivity

Something new in this version is that pressing the mouse wheel (if supported) allows you to enter a Free Scrolling Mode (doing this for the first time will pop up a message asking your browser to allow the page to lock your mouse pointer - you should allow it), after which you can move your mouse to scroll the page and use the mouse wheel to zoom in/out. If you don't have a mouse wheel to click, you can also toggle this mode with the C key on the keyboard. The Mouse Sensitivity setting controls how much your mouse movement scrolls the page in this mode.

Scroll Wheel Sensitivity

If scrolling with the mouse wheel or trackpad feels too slow or fast to you, you can adjust the scrolling speed with this setting.

Fit to Width if Overwidth (+ But Not When Viewing Two Pages)

The basic option here is the same as in the old reader - if the page width with the selected Page Scaling would be wider than the window / screen width, the page is scaled down to fit said width. But now it also comes with a suboption, But Not When Viewing Two Pages, which allows you to disable the overwidth fitting behavior when two pages (spreads) are displayed.

Anyway, that's all for now. Thanks in advance for any feedback, and I hope the new reader makes you enjoy FAKKU content even more than before!
I'm the most excited for the thumbnail view. That's something I missed from the old reader.
Midnight Barber I am stuck in a well.
I like having the thumbnails now. I like what I have seen in there so far but I have noticed somethings.

When I tried to use the reader I notice when you go full screen and then back to windowed it will smoosh everything into half the window. It only effects the stuff in the reader and not the browser itself. Also if you choose a different color for the background the full screen and thumbnail menu back ground is still white. It only changes windowed modes color. I am using chrome on a desktop.
Pretty cool stuff here. Free scrolling is interesting.

For some reason 2.5D Player thumbnails aren't appearing for me.

Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://puu.sh/lroLo/22d88140ce.png

PC
Chrome 46.0.2490.86 m
I never cared for thumbnails or two page. I do like i can have dark backgrounds.
GODsHandOnEarth (Not-so-)Grim Reaper
On the first look the new reader seems faster than the old one.
It's pretty good that you can see the to be loaded page blured instead of the former "no image while loading view".
The two page reading mode is a pleasure for larger screens and thumbnail view is a longtime wish coming true (not to mention that you can return direct to the thumbnails with one click).

All in all great work , thanks for the hard work and the effort you all put in it!
Sabers Praetor Unlimited Lewd Works
The only problem ive really had is when scrolling to the next page it takes a few spins of the wheel to get to the next page every once in awhile 2-3 tops, but im sure its just probably something in the settings on my end.
Daiz FAKKU Developer
Sabers Praetor wrote...
The only problem ive really had is when scrolling to the next page it takes a few spins of the wheel to get to the next page every once in awhile 2-3 tops, but im sure its just probably something in the settings on my end.

This is actually intentional: If the page is scrollable, you must spin the wheel four times at the ends to actually change the page. The purpose of this to prevent you from accidentally switching over to the next page when you reach the end.
AssasinZAssasin Not Hentai Protagonist
I really did miss the thumbnail view...And the two page view is perfect for some types of pages that use both sides for a single image.

The beta just seems like a great idea, so I'm happy that this is available.
Sabers Praetor Unlimited Lewd Works
Daiz wrote...
Sabers Praetor wrote...

This is actually intentional: If the page is scrollable, you must spin the wheel four times at the ends to actually change the page. The purpose of this to prevent you from accidentally switching over to the next page when you reach the end.

ah ok I can see why you would add that since ive accidentally switched pages from scrolling too fast several times in the past. 4 times seems a bit much though...meh ill get used to it.
PC
Chrome

In two-page mode it goes down the first page,
then pops over to the bottom of the second instead of the top
this works with the two-page spreads, not for linear reading.
Daiz FAKKU Developer
Cat-ness wrote...
In two-page mode it goes down the first page,
then pops over to the bottom of the second instead of the top
this works with the two-page spreads, not for linear reading.

I assume you're referring to scrolling with the mouse wheel. This behavior is once again intentional, because there isn't really much else you could do with a one-dimensional input like a scroll wheel. If you use two-page mode, I recommend checking out the free scroll mode that you can activate by pressing the mouse wheel (and allowing the page to disable your cursor) - this allows you to scroll with mouse movements instead.
Righto to work it is. First of System specs. I use Firefox version 42. My os is Ubuntu 14.04.
First thing i noticed is that the background seems to overlap with the image somewhat randomly
Forum Image: http://7.t.imgbox.com/PgUOSfEJ.jpg
I seem to get this somewhat regularly. There are times when the pages loads "blurred" and later loads the proper view, this thus has happened within about 7 seconds it it does. If a page is "blurred" after that it wil usually stay that way. Reloading the page does not seem to affect the behavoir. Using the reader to go back and forth between the pages a couple of times seems to fix it.

Second thing i noticed is that if you switch to any other preference for page display opening options again after closing it will display the correct option, however if you go into the reader again and then open options it will display that it is on the setting, display single page no matter what you are actually using. Also if you try changing to single page view when this is active it is not possible you will have to set it to another option first then to single page for it to work.

Third. The thumbnails are nice but i can't seem to start reading with any simple key presses i used, requiring me to actually click on the first page with the mouse. I would like to simply push a button to get to reading.

Other than that i really liked the option for using content direction for viewing two page spreads. A bit different when i got a single page and had to use left to progress but that is mostly habit :)
Daiz FAKKU Developer
Ghostly wrote...
I seem to get this somewhat regularly. There are times when the pages loads "blurred" and later loads the proper view

This part is intentional. If the full page hasn't loaded yet, the reader will display the thumbnail until the actual full page image has finished loading.

However, if the page never seems to change from being blurry, it might mean the full page load failed. How fast is your internet connection?

Ghostly wrote...
Second thing i noticed is that if you switch to any other preference for page display opening options again after closing it will display the correct option, however if you go into the reader again and then open options it will display that it is on the setting, display single page no matter what you are actually using. Also if you try changing to single page view when this is active it is not possible you will have to set it to another option first then to single page for it to work.

That sounds like a bug. I'll see if I can replicate it and fix it.

Ghostly wrote...
Third. The thumbnails are nice but i can't seem to start reading with any simple key presses i used, requiring me to actually click on the first page with the mouse. I would like to simply push a button to get to reading.

I intend to make the new reader fully keyboard-controllable eventually (so that you wouldn't need the mouse for anything, be that navigating the index or changing options), but I'll make it a priority to add something to get into reading mode from index with the keyboard first things first.

Ghostly wrote...
Other than that i really liked the option for using content direction for viewing two page spreads. A bit different when i got a single page and had to use left to progress but that is mostly habit :)

Yeah, if you like using left/right to change pages, then content direction is really the only sane way to go if you want to be able to scroll spreads.

Alternatively, you could get used to using Page Down & Page Up for changing pages while using the arrows only for scrolling. This works very well too in my experience.
Kenjiz The Dirty Wolf
Kenji likes what he see. yes yes
Well it was working nicely but now nothing loads when you go to read it online
Really glad for the thumbnail view. Missed that from the original viewer.

Also, wanted to mention that the latest work by Yamada no Seikatsu ga Daiichi is misspelled as Diichi and the artist link leads nowhere.
623 wrote...
Also, wanted to mention that the latest work by Yamada no Seikatsu ga Daiichi is misspelled as Diichi and the artist link leads nowhere.

Fixed!
blackswordsman Eternal Struggler
I like it, but I want the option back to turn off changing page by scrolling. It's pretty annoying.
Tsujoi Social Media Manager
blackswordsman wrote...
I like it, but I want the option back to turn off changing page by scrolling. It's pretty annoying.

Check the options again, it's there. Uncheck it.
Pages 12345NextLast