Do you act different Online compared to Offline?

Pages Prev123456

Title

Total Votes : 295
Yes because my master slave sorta complex isn't really something I can put out in the open, (I like the idea of being owned in a sense and I admit I find it weird as well) it has cost me getting into relationships that I can't really enjoy because how would one just come and say "I'm a man that wants the women to be extremely argessive) I end up with shy girls who I end up getting bored of (although they a we're all lovely) so online I get to sorta be a bit more honest :P
PatchyMcScarlet wrote...
RavenxSinon wrote...
a benefit to online communication is that you get to review what you're about to send or post before doing so, something we can't really do in real life when talking face to face since we can't turn back time.

^ This pretty much sums it up for me.

I tend to back-pedal on a lot of what I say IRL because I'm really bad at communicating how I interpret things to people, apparently, whereas online I can type out paragraphs and paragraphs yet usually end up sending no more than a single sentence.

Housemates especially are finding it annoying that it sounds like i'm writing up the 5th Harry potter book as if from memory only to find i'm just constantly deleting everything I've written because i'm worried how it'll read once it's posted.

People are supposed to get more confident but I find myself pressured not to fuck up even more despite this 'anonymity'.

I feel the exact same way.
*watch mirror and talking to myself* *fast thinking* Naaah, I definitely who I am. I'm the same person with the same characters in the real life and offline.
I'm not too concerned with the socialite. I show who I am for the real. Even if I was a little secretive about some things, it is also with the same reasons and it is always working in the both worlds.
Mr.Everwood will see you now ;)
I'm probably not the same person online that I am offline.

It's either that I am more careful or more reckless online. When I am online I have much more time to think about what I want to say, so the sentences will often come out much more elaborated and carefully worded than whatever comes out of my mouth offline. On the other hand it's much easier to say things you normally wouldn't because you're among strangers and you're anonymous, so sometimes I say things that end up being very embarrassing.

The internet is rather frightening in that it's very easy to misunderstand people and be misunderstood yourself. Not that real life isn't without its embarrassing moments too.
I have always been a very shy person and to a certain extent I still consider myself shy. My first encounter with internet was when I was eight. At the time I had dial up and would always go on to play games. The main game I played was a socializing game hosted by Coca Cola. I can barely remember the details about the game but I remember having a house that was lavishly decorated with the best furniture available. Cybering was prevalent in this game and you could not go a day without someone trying to get your ASL(Age, Sex, Location). It was this game that changed me from being very shy online. As time passed I became a more talkative person online and had made many friends. In real life I was still very shy and it was not until I hit my twenties that I started to act the same way in real life as I did online. To answer the question currently there is not much difference whether I am online or real life. I still feel more comfortable communicating online but with time I believe this will change.
I absolutely talk and act differently on the internet than when interacting with people face to face. Anonymity and lack of consequences are, of course, the big causes for this, but the form of the communication also matters. For one, on the internet, I don't actually talk, I type. That's a big difference which allows me to be much more open. I've rewritten this post twice, for example, and no one would have known that if I hadn't admitted it here. I could write a whole essay in reply to someone before deciding that "wait, this doesn't make sense" and never post it and no one would know. Face to face, there is no such erase option.

However, I also act differently on different parts of the internet, and in different situations when interacting with physical people. I think there is no one "true" self, there are only the selves that the situation brings to the front in me. Some of those, even I may not know about. If I didn't act differently depending on context, I'd be slightly worried.
Papa Nito Enemy Stand
I find it difficult to act differently online. I simply approach the internet with the same mindset of me approaching anything IRL. It works for other parties as well, since they don't have to worry about me putting on a different face, or being an entirely different person than what they know online.
I think it's unhealthy to change your behavior based on you surroundings or situations because that's embracing the idea that you have to conform to be liked or to feel confident. On a more severe note, acting differently than you normally do would lead to an identity crisis and cause emotional repercussions. I like what I like and that's fine with me, people who criticize other people based off their interests or hobbies are lowly.Of course it does feel secure speaking though a medium such as the internet and people would generally do things they normally wouldn't do IRL, i.e. being rude, disrespectful, or proclaiming private ideas. I like how I am and everyone should like themselves too.

-Law
My online personality is now my only personality. Use to act differently online to my offline self, but now I act only that way. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad but eh.
Alphalicious The Omegalicious
yes, more of an honest asshole online.

wish i was more so in real life but the service industry is about bloody compromise
No, I tend to act the same online than offline. I'm still dealing with people; that I can't see their faces doesn't really change that.

I wouldn't go up to a random person and go "TITS OR GEE-TEE-EFF-OH!", why do that online?

It helps that I don't have much of a mean streak.
GODsHandOnEarth (Not-so-)Grim Reaper
In real life I tend to speak very loud if someone enrages me which is no problem on the net...
Bladesaber Vanilla Enthusiast
Yes. I can't pinpoint when it started to be honest, but I sorta just shifted from being conversational and having fun with people irl into an introverted nerd on the interwebs. I'd say the biggest difference is I can pretty much talk to anyone online without the slightest issue or pause, but irl I can't hold a conversation that well. Part of it, at least I think, comes from the people I converse with online all share the same or most of the same interests as I do, which makes it easy to talk about something. Alternatively, I just listen to music. It's so easy to type things and not have any real thought about them while also listening to music.
Romana FAKKU Letterer
I'm a serious introvert IRL, pretty shy and have problems talking to people a lot. But I play a lot of videogames, so when I'm playing MMOs and the like, I lose quite a bit of that shyness, so yeah, I think I act differently in online social settings vs IRL.

But, if I get to know people IRL, that shyness goes away, so... eventually I get to my online self??

Digital psychology is weird.
goshvjin 「fappin' and snackin'」
i'd say i'm the same both on and offline. but offline and irl, i'm either just working or being a homebody and tidying up the place. i haven't had much luck making friends since i relocated to a new state so my only pals are the ones i play league of legends with and the few that still team up with me from back home. overall, i just make crappy puns of things and always try to keep things positive lol.
I feel like I'm more truthful when I'm online. I just see it as there's no reason to lie.
jmason Curious and Wondering
Let's see.

I certainly talk in the same manner both online and offline. Although online it's easier to fix any faux pas because sometimes I talk faster than I think.

Behavior-wise, almost the same. In online MMOs, my friends can spot me instantly by my manners - I'm competitive and calculating... although I got that from years of being on the varsity chess team in high school. On Facebook I tend to be more relaxed than offline.

I never saw any need to craft an entire different "online persona", I just act the same way I do, with a little mindfulness of where I am.
I'm a lot more open online. It's extremely easy to say something through text, so I don't spend an hour contemplating it before deciding that it's too embarrassing to say what I think when I'm typing it. For example, I can be openly upset because instead of someone just yelling over me, as I'm incredibly quiet in real life and have to really strain my voice to be loud, I can just read what they're saying and reply however I want - if I want to reply at all. There's nothing they can do back, after all.

Online, I'm me. Not the timid person that has to constantly put up an act to avoid being yelled at/fired. Not the person that hides all their problems behind jokes. Not the person that thinks "go die, you piece of shit" whenever someone I don't know tries to strike up a conversation or acts a certain way at work. I'm more willing to share something personal with someone I've known for around a year than with someone I've known offline for ten. I'd rather be mute offline, since that way I wouldn't ever have to talk.
I am more neutral online and friendly and outgoing to people. I love a good conversation.

But in real life, I am a flip-flop; while I act awkward around some people, I am incredibly aggressive to others and will say what I want freely.
I'm the same. Blunt. Direct good and bad. I know no shame. Openly state that I don't care about people I meet. If I want them in my life I'll make it happen. Otherwise I have no emotional attachments. I joke. Have a good time. In the end. I can still tell people I can forget them with out a problem. Est probably altered what's wrong with the one hemisphere of my brain. But I'm a nice guy. Just don't expect me to tell you what you did wrong in a nice manner
Pages Prev123456