[Anime] Kantai Collection/Kancolle (Winter 2014)

Pages 1234Next
So finally the most popular browser game in Japan gets an anime adaptation.

And here some PV
PV1
Spoiler:

PV2
Spoiler:

The first episode already aired at theaters, and judging from the camrip/screenshots, this will look good.
The amount of money thrown at this was ludicrous. This will only make not playing the game harder.
.... Dat 1st ep.... =A=;;;

Spoiler:
Somehow I think I saw a Death Flag on Akagi already...

DMM/Kadokawa really throw quite budget in this (at least, in 1st ep for now). Hope it'll stays true until the end.
Kaimax Best Master-San
Well, This is some High quality stuff here. If it can get a nice balance like the 1st season of Strike Witches, then I see no problem.
I came into this dreading Strike Witches with Battleships. I can draw parallels but it wasn't as appalling as that abomination. It was OK, I guess.

I don't dislike CG, but this time it made me cringe. I can't imagine it getting dark, ie. character deaths so far. Looks like the worst that will happen is clothing damage. Do ships come back in the game after being sunk?

The main character is a pretty run of the mill 'I'm the new kid on the block and I want senpai to notice me'. The others have their cute quirks but no one I like so far.

I'm gonna take a guess and say I'd enjoy it more if I was a fan of the game. Let's see if it maintains my attention.
Iamnotchrishansen wrote...
I came into this dreading Strike Witches with Battleships. I can draw parallels but it wasn't as appalling as that abomination. It was OK, I guess.

I don't dislike CG, but this time it made me cringe. I can't imagine it getting dark, ie. character deaths so far. Looks like the worst that will happen is clothing damage. Do ships come back in the game after being sunk?

The main character is a pretty run of the mill 'I'm the new kid on the block and I want senpai to notice me'. The others have their cute quirks but no one I like so far.

I'm gonna take a guess and say I'd enjoy it more if I was a fan of the game. Let's see if it maintains my attention.

From what I heard, this title is aimed for those who have played the game (and those who knows about the lore and whatnot). So it might not be interesting for those who don't know a thing about the game (or those who only read the dark-doujins of this title).

*gives Iam a life-jacket*
My opinion is pretty much what Chrishansen said. There are many reference about the game and most comes from the voice lines.

The CG is ok, the transformation/dock scene was great.

Then again, the characters aren't too memorable. Whobuki a shit.

I wonder why they didn't show admiral's face.

Also
Iamnotchrishansen wrote...
Do ships come back in the game after being sunk?

They stay dead unless they have damage control fairy equipped.
Kaimax Best Master-San
Sanada-Kun wrote...
I wonder why they didn't show admiral's face.

Showing his face will destroy the fantasy that "The Admiral is YOU".
It will also mean that the series will not strongly focus on the girls anymore, but it will turn into "Admiral saved the whole fleet with his genius strategies.".
Kaimax wrote...
Showing his face will destroy the fantasy that "The Admiral is YOU".
It will also mean that the series will not strongly focus on the girls anymore, but it will turn into "Admiral saved the whole fleet with his genius strategies."

I feel that's okay though, because at the end of the day the Admiral's personality depends on the player and it typically fall into vague categories of positive qualities according to the Kanmusu's comments. This also eliminates any threat of it becoming a generic ego stroking fest for the Admiral and people who played Kancolle. I do wish they at least gave him some direct form of expression though.

Yuno spare Abyssal girls?
Kaimax wrote...
"Admiral saved the whole fleet with his genius strategies.".

Any competent admiral won't sent a lvl 1 Fubuki straight to boss node lol.

But I see your point, this anime is pretty much a bridge for secondaries to understand Kancolle without playing the game.
Kaimax Best Master-San
Time to play KanColle again, and I'll skip the "Destroyer Only Mission" I just can't get lucky enough. and my Poor Zuikaku is still brand new and abandoned by this Kuso Teitoku Lol....
ANIMUS:

Anyone know how many eps this anime has?
AzelleFans wrote...
ANIMUS:

12 episodes.

also reminder for TTKs, maintenance in 1 hour
ANIMUS:

Sanada-Kun wrote...
AzelleFans wrote...
ANIMUS:

12 episodes.

also reminder for TTKs, maintenance in 1 hour

Thanks, Admiral Doge.
Xillia Full Time Waifu.
I never really played the game before, so I don't really know much except the girls everybody fanboys about (Haruna, Shimakaze. But the animation's nice to look at and it seems like a nice side anime to watch. Is it that the girls who are clothed a certain way, most likely belong to a certain battleship class? Care to explain? :)
Okay, this is some info about shipgirls who appeared in first episode.

credit to /a/non

Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://iforce.co.nz/i/ltjnyq5o.4ky.jpg
Frankly i didn't understand what all the hype around Kancolle is for. I get that it's the next big thing like Attack on Titan, SAO and whatever came before them but it's still weird.
From what i have read from reviews the game itself is a grindfest and its only reedeming feature looks like it is its cast of humanized female battleships scantily dressed and acting cutesy.
I must say i have seen plenty of anime with a dumb plot and extremely sexualixed characters and i have found them less annoying despite their extreme approach because they were not trying to hide it.
For Kancolle seeing these little girls go through those "gear equipment" phase felt much more brainkilling (for lack of a better word) than the transformations of Senran Kagura. Half of the time i was thinking "what the hell i'm seeing?" and "why am i doing this to my brain?".
Anyone else that isn't a player of KanColle and got confused as i was?
Laarix wrote...

Anyone else that isn't a player of KanColle and got confused as i was?

Nope. I have never played kancolle (cba to deal with the vpn) and I had no moments of confusion.

OT:
It was nice to see Atago and Kaga. Hope to see more of them. I'm hoping that the anime doesn't choke on itself with moe.
Kaimax Best Master-San
Foreground wrote...
Nope. I have never played kancolle (cba to deal with the vpn)

The VPN part is actually easier than you think. After installing it, you only need to choose a Japanese server with a good speed, and wait for it to connect. It didn't even take a minute if there are no trouble.
There also other methods of bypassing the region lock without the use of it. Link
The one that should hinder you the most should be the Lotteries (I got lucky and got a spot on my first try).

Laarix wrote...
Frankly i didn't understand what all the hype around Kancolle is for. I get that it's the next big thing like Attack on Titan, SAO and whatever came before them but it's still weird.

There's nobody to blame but yourself.
You clearly don't understand the "Hype", so why did you go in this blind? Did you not do a simple Google search and read the Wikipedia Page?
To makes things worst you try equate this with Shingeki no Kyojin and SAO popularity without identifying what made Kantai Collection popular to begin with, which raised your expectation levels to higher than it was needed too.
Foreground wrote...

OT:
It was nice to see Atago and Kaga. Hope to see more of them. I'm hoping that the anime doesn't choke on itself with moe.

Pretty much what I feared from Kancolle. The game is literally a chore. Do dailies-weeklies-monthlies, craft ship, clear map and event. That makes kancolle has no potential plot.

Laarix wrote...

I have no idea how you have such a mindset. AoT and SAO based on LN/Manga and has a story/plot, meanwhile Kancolle based on Game without plot. Of course Kancolle anime will have a hard time explaining things.
Pages 1234Next