[Locked] Simulpublished Magazines and Content Removal

A few weeks ago on Anime News Network I talked about publishing, censorship, and the future of FAKKU (link here). I highly recommend listening to it if you have an interest in the industry and what's going on with FAKKU, but the most important topic covered was the eventual removal of unlicensed content from the website. As we talk with more manga publishers, artists, and animation companies one thing has become apparent: we need to remove unlicensed content.

Within the next month we will begin releasing English simulpublished issues of Comic X-Eros and Comic Kairakuten. We will be translating and releasing both magazines in their entirety, resulting in over 40 chapters and 1000 pages of new content each month with chapters uploaded daily. A more in-depth official announcement will go live in the next couple of weeks where I will go into full detail about what we'll be doing and what you can expect.

The most important part of magazines is that every single artist will be working directly with FAKKU. Right now we usually work with 2-3 different artists each month depending on what books we're currently working on and what projects we have hidden away. Once this new service goes live we'll be working with 40 - 60 artists each month and each of those artists will be visiting FAKKU to look directly at their English chapters.

The opportunity to work so closely with these artists and make their stories available officially is incredible. I hope that everyone can accept that although the loss of unlicensed content definitely sucks, the end result is significantly better for everyone. Fans get to support and consume more content and the artists have a new source of income and the chance to interact directly with their fans outside of Japan.

We've already started work on the magazines and have a couple back issues ready to release and final preparations are being made to get them online. To put this in perspective, from the last two months alone here's a list of artists directly involved in this new project: NaPaTa, Bosshi, mogg, LINDA, Gomennasai, Koume Keito, Nishi Iori, DISTANCE, Higenamuchi, Karma Tatsuro, Ichimatsu, Makio, Mizusaki, Meiyamamo, Akiya Akira, Inuburo , Sakurai Energy, Ishikawa Shisuke, Shono Kotaro, Mojarin, isao , Hinahara Emi, Azuma Tesshin, Usaginagomu, Itouei, Sumiya, YUG, Katsurai Yoshiaki, Namboku, 40010 Protoype, E-muse Aki, Fujimaru, santa, Key, Okara, Matsukawa, Harenochiame, Kamiya Zuzu, Mitiking, Mozu, Uo Denim, Kishikaisei, Niimaruyuu, Yoshima Nikki, Katase Minami, Kai Maruco, SAVAN, MG Joe, Asagiaya, Hachiya Makoto, Ishikei, Kekemotsu, Ban!, Kamizuki Shiki, Morimiya Masayuki, Tamatsuyada, Inue Shinsuke, Rakko, Kurokosiyou, F4U, Yurikawa, Knuckle Curve, yozo, Naganoro, Ayane, Yazaki Suigin, Karasu, Kerorin, Kanna Tetsuboku, Misaoka, Misa Wasabi, Satsuki Mikazu, Sanadura Hiroyuki, Akizuki Itsuki, Suruga Rinu, Mg Kurino, Heriyama, Oda Non, Mozuya Murasaki, MGMEE, Tsukino Jyogi, E-musu Aki, Kosuke Haruhito, Kito Sakeru, Shirotadai, Kazuma Muramasa, Mutsutake, Bonza, Akinosora, Kokonoki Nao, Natsuki Kiyohito, Tamon Ketsuyuki, Kamishiro Ryu, Leonardo Sixteen?, Shiden, and Yamada no Seikatsu ga Daiichi.

Like I said above we'll be releasing these magazines in their entirety. That means every single chapter regardless of the content. Both big name artists and newcomers will be treated the same, we won't be favoring one artist over another. This means you'll get to read everything without worrying about if your personal tastes don't align with the majority of users. Here's a preview of the English covers for two of the magazines:

CHQL9OvUEAApx6w.jpgCHQL9IxUMAEoXKw.jpg
Talking specifically about content removal: We will continue supporting scanlators in every way possible. I believe that when a legal alternative does not exist, scanlation is necessary to fill in the void and show the publishers/artists that there is demand for their work outside of Japan. I've talked about this before, so here is a pretty good post detailing my thoughts.

I will post more details about my plans a little later, but in regards to the main site here is a rough timeline for content removal:

06/2015: Removal of some specific unlicensed publishers and unlicensed controversial content
07/2015: Removal of unlicensed manga content
12/2015: Removal of unlicensed doujinshi content
Why is 'controversial content' being removed? Who decides what is controversial? I don't want to visit here any more if I can't have monster girls.
riggy wrote...
Why is 'controversial content' being removed? Who decides what is controversial? I don't want to visit here any more if I can't have monster girls.

All unlicensed content is being removed.
Jacob wrote...

06/2016: Removal of some specific unlicensed publishers and controversial content
07/2016: Removal of unlicensed manga content
12/2016: Removal of unlicensed doujinshi content

one question, do you really mean 2016 or 2015? if its 2016, then why taking so long? just wondering.

Im excited for the new stuff to come, just one thing, do you have plans to bet on western artists too?
drfakku wrote...
Jacob wrote...

06/2016: Removal of some specific unlicensed publishers and controversial content

one question, do you really mean 2016 or 2015? if its 2016, then why taking so long? just wondering.

Im excited for the new stuff to come, just one thing, do you have plans to bet on western artists too?

Oops, thanks for pointing that out.

And yes we will be working with western artists in the future as well, but that's another big project
What are the plans to distribute the magazines?

Are you going to be able to do Digital and Print like the books are done or just one or the other.
Jacob wrote...
drfakku wrote...
Jacob wrote...

Oops, thanks for pointing that out.

And yes we will be working with western artists in the future as well, but that's another big project

Dude, thats awesome, I think you are becoming the pioneer of something big and awesome here!
Okay wow you guys must have really been hauling ass. This looks promising, looking forward to it.
Ok so from the first post...

Jacob wrote...
Like I said above we'll be releasing these magazines in their entirety. That means every single chapter regardless of the content. Both big name artists and newcomers will be treated the same, we won't be favoring one artist over another.

and from the second...

Jacob wrote...
I believe that when a legal alternative does not exist, scanlation is necessary to fill in the void and show the publishers/artists that there is demand for their work outside of Japan.

These are the two statements I needed to see from Jacob in order to make a decision of what I was going to do. Not that a lurker's opinion matters too much but for what its worth...

Congratulations. If I read that right you achieved an outstanding outcome. I won't even make a sarcastic jab at you either. Well done.
ChrisBRosado123 wrote...
Okay wow you guys must have really been hauling ass. This looks promising, looking forward to it.

We have an incredible team of people making this all possible. In comparison my job is easy, plus I get to read the finished chapters along with everyone else when they are done! Secretly FAKKU is just a way to make it easier for me to fap.
Well it's a big change that people have to accept if you want to grow and release more content, to me it seems like you are making the right choice. Yeah you will have people say "I am not going to come here anymore if so and so is removed," but lets be real from the podcast"ANNCast" it's what you have to do in order for your company to grow. Another thing is you have a lot of free content and I think people are afraid of losing that. Like you said, you want to get 40-60 artists, which is a tremendous difference to 2-3 at most. Which also means a lot more new content. I feel like if there is any way to keep some of the free content then you can make both parties happy. If you can't at least you told every one ahead of time what you plan on doing. It seems like a good plan/future for Fakku in my opinion. In the end we all just end up getting more content while the artists get credit/paid for their work which is a win win for both parties. People just need to see the bigger picture and remain open minded about it.
Jacob wrote...
ChrisBRosado123 wrote...

We have an incredible team of people making this all possible. In comparison my job is easy, plus I get to read the finished chapters along with everyone else when they are done! Secretly FAKKU is just a way to make it easier for me to fap.

You've won the game!

Now to watch my forum rep get nuked to oblivion.
Jacob wrote...
riggy wrote...

Are you saying that there is no licensed controversial content? Why single it out at all if it's being removed just for being unlicensed, or is there something more at play? I know for a fact that the NaPaTa chapter, Pandemonium fits the Monster Girl tag yet the tag is still missing, amongst others. It doesn't line up.
riggy wrote...
Jacob wrote...
riggy wrote...

Are you saying that there is no licensed controversial content? Why single it out at all if it's being removed just for being unlicensed, or is there something more at play? I know for a fact that the NaPaTa chapter, Pandemonium fits the Monster Girl tag yet the tag is still missing, amongst others. It doesn't line up.

hardly monster girl... more close to nekomimi with horns or succubus thing, judging from the cover at least
Great job!

This is a really exciting development! Although I'll be sad at the eventual removal of some of my favorite series, I am fully supportive of the change. Keep it coming, and I'll keep the cash flowing.
Sounds great as long as you offer downloads to people paying for this stuff. If it's just online viewing only the same way the gift chapters have been you won't get any money from me.
drfakku wrote...
hardly monster girl... more close to nekomimi with horns or succubus thing, judging from the cover at least

Yeah... succubi count and have been tagged under Monster Girl in the past. This is more about the removal of the tag from the whole site.
Interested about LINDA, I thought they were xenophobic.
If I had to guess, the reason for removing unlicensed controversial content first would be to get rid of the need to filter controversial entries for unlicensed content.

Whatever the actual reason is, though, I don't see how anyone would get upset over it being removed first when all the unlicensed content will be gone fairly soon, anyway.

Jacob: How's the payment for the magazines going to work? Do you think it'll be possible to make one-time payments for periods of a few months to a full year?
In any case, you're doing great work. Thanks a lot.