[Locked] Simulpublished Magazines and Content Removal

Renauld wrote...
SprAlanJS wrote...

I think most people are offended about the lack of transparency and the lack of warning to these changes. Changes happen to websites every day, but they give notice when changes are happening and they don't just say "Big things are coming". From a consumer perspective a business that does that doesn't get very far ahead.

I don't actually use Fakku, or really have ever used Fakku. I made this current account, I've had several over the many years, because I wanted to make a comment.
Everything I know about the situation has been mostly from other sites. As far as I can tell, there have been several warnings long in advance as well as transparency. The problem is probably that people don't pay any attention or look for anything. I could cite and find sources for this, but that would be effort. I guess he could have sent messages to every account saying LOOK AT THIS THREAD or BIG ANNOUNCEMENT or WEEKLY TRANSPARENCY REPORT, but then people would probably be annoyed by that as well. I think it would be more accurate that it seems people are more upset by their lack of agency.

there is Front Page News on the main page of the website, and I assume not many people do digging into the forums. They only came here because the tags went missing again right after a few weeks ago them resolving almost exactly the same problem. The lack of transparency and the lack of warnings about tags being removed suddenly is what I'm speaking of.
Jacob wrote...
Talking specifically about content removal: We will continue supporting scanlators in every way possible. I believe that when a legal alternative does not exist, scanlation is necessary to fill in the void and show the publishers/artists that there is demand for their work outside of Japan.

So basically if there is a legal alternative to a scanlation you will try to take it. But what about all the scans that lack an alternative, will they will be allowed to stay up? I'm just worried whether or not there will be stuff that gets taken down for being unlicensed content but doesn't get put back up legitimately, and is at that point just gone from the site.
Time to leave then.
I don't see why you can't enjoy both; reading other scanlation sites and supporting your favorite artists released by Fakku. It still has lots of room to grow.
There is a lot of good discussion going on in this thread, I'm glad to see a lot of users open up about these changes even if you don't agree with them. Rest assured that I am reading all the replies even though I'm not responding.

I can promise you, the future is bright. I wouldn't make a change like this unless I felt in my heart it was the right change to make. Trust me when I say that this is a good thing for all of us, trust in what we've been able to build here and will continue to build. I want you to take a look at a post I made in 2007, things were a lot different back then. https://www.fakku.net/forums/feedback-suggestions-and-support/new-server-costs

At the time my writing was a little sloppy and I was running FAKKU out of my dorm room/parents basement... but there is one key quote you can take away from that

jacob wrote...
Eventually I want to start translating the more popular manga titles, I want to talk with Japanese publishers and get them to ship us the actual manga and sell it on the site. There is so much that FAKKU still has in store!

That post was made 3 months after FAKKU first went online almost 9 years ago. This has been my goal, my dream, from the beginning. I did not create FAKKU to be a pirate, I created FAKKU to be a fan. I know what we have coming is a huge change and a little scary, I'm honestly scared too. No one has ever done this before. But that's what makes it so exciting. So I ask one last time for you to put your trust in me, and when this new service launches I hope you choose to support it.

I'm going to lock this thread until tomorrow, I want everyone who can to see this post before it gets bumped off. And I want to give everyone a chance to come up with some good replies for me between now and then.
Jacob wrote...
There is a lot of good discussion going on in this thread, I'm glad to see a lot of users open up about these changes even if you don't agree with them. Rest assured that I am reading all the replies even though I'm not responding.

I can promise you, the future is bright. I wouldn't make a change like this unless I felt in my heart it was the right change to make. Trust me when I say that this is a good thing for all of us, trust in what we've been able to build here and will continue to build. I want you to take a look at a post I made in 2007, things were a lot different back then. https://www.fakku.net/forums/feedback-suggestions-and-support/new-server-costs

At the time my writing was a little sloppy and I was running FAKKU out of my dorm room/parents basement... but there is one key quote you can take away from that

jacob wrote...
Eventually I want to start translating the more popular manga titles, I want to talk with Japanese publishers and get them to ship us the actual manga and sell it on the site. There is so much that FAKKU still has in store!

That post was made 3 months after FAKKU first went online almost 9 years ago. This has been my goal, my dream, from the beginning. I did not create FAKKU to be a pirate, I created FAKKU to be a fan. I know what we have coming is a huge change and a little scary, I'm honestly scared too. No one has ever done this before. But that's what makes it so exciting. So I ask one last time for you to put your trust in me, and when this new service launches I hope you choose to support it.

I'm going to lock this thread until tomorrow, I want everyone who can to see this post before it gets bumped off. And I want to give everyone a chance to come up with some good replies for me between now and then.

Here's a reply for you: For those of us who are poor, or live in the developing world, what's the point in continuing to visit the site if most, if not all, of the content will be behind a paywall?
freefall111 wrote...
Jacob wrote...

jacob wrote...

Here's a reply for you: For those of us who are poor, or live in the developing world, what's the point in continuing to visit the site if most, if not all, of the content will be behind a paywall?

I never said anything about blocking free users from accessing content, just that unlicensed content will all be removed.
I have just one question? I saw the list of artists from the magazine. Are those going to the only artists we see or are you going to allow another artists from other magazine to be put on web site. I also saw cruchroll charges for membership of $11.99. We don't have that kind of money. And if we have to pay for membership and doujinshi separate. You are going to lose a lots of people to other web sites.
freefall111 wrote...
Spoiler:
Jacob wrote...

jacob wrote...

Question for you: How do you expect content owners to be properly compensated?

Is that really up to Jacob? I can't claim to know, how would you know? Let's say I make pencils for a living. You're the guy selling my pencils, am I to just mind my own business doing my job while you set whatever prices or business models for the product I made? I'm inclined to believe it doesn't work this way. In fact if I catch you doing something with my product that I don't like, I'm just not going to deal with you anymore. Of course the only people who really know how it works are Jacob and whoever he does business with.

Or should I ask if you even care where the money's going as long as you get what you want? Because that's how a lot of the "criticism" I've been reading sounds to me. This is reality, the money needs to flow or shit is going to hit the fan. That's how real life works. Wanimagazine and the other Japanese publishers are businesses, not charities.

And I get it, there are more than a few people who just can't afford to invest their money on this. But there are also a lot of people who do have money and can't be bothered because they're under the impression that Jacob is acting out of greed. I want to believe Jacob isn't stupid or money hungry and that he'd like to make everyone happy. But everyone isn't just you and me. The way things stand, Jacob could do a lot more nasty shit if all he wanted was money (think crappy customer service, ads on paid content, DRM policies), and I'm glad that isn't the case.

Ultimately we still don't have all the details yet and according to Jacob a lot of it still isn't set in stone, which is why he hasn't said much yet. So I really wish people would stop saying shit as if they know what's going on, as if they know better.
animefreak_usa Child of Samael
Corvette7 wrote...
I have just one question? I saw the list of artists from the magazine. Are those going to the only artists we see or are you going to allow another artists from other magazine to be put on web site.

If they strike a deal with the other magazines and companies they will. Wani is the only one fakku got access to there library and magazine content right now.
This is too much.
I've been lurking for years now, fakku was always my favorite site. When the whole thing with removing DLs and no more loli started, I had a kinda bad feeling about it and it seems I was right.
I get that the servers need to be paid. I get that supporting the artists is important. But suddenly taking away 90% (I only mean that to me it feels like about 90%, not that it is actually 90%) of the content? That's too much.
[Bosshi] Nightmare is my favorite and now it's gone.

Tentacle tag is gone too, like incest. A fakku w/o tentacles really just isn't the fakku I knew anymore, the thing that made fakku so great was the vast diversity, you could find about anything here, anything you'd look for. But that's no more.
I'll continue to support the artists on my own, but seriously, I just can't stand this, not being able to even get a preview before buying the new fakku books, removal of so much cont. and removal of controversal stuff.

I bear no grudge towards you, after all fakku has given me so much, but it is time to part ways, since fakku has changed much, too much for me. Maybe the changes are better for the site, but certainly not for me.
I can no longer call this place home, I'm switching to pururin - Cya, guys.
This is amazingly idiotic. Amazing how fast you guys are breaking down all the good work you've been doing within a few short weeks.

If you're removing all of this content, I'm out of here.
LOL whelp, "We're making the site better!" *Shuts down everything that makes the site good* *Alarms start blaring* *People start mobbing* "WHAT DID WE DO WRONG!?!?"
SO are we getting a reason as to why all the controversial stuff was offed in one fell swoop AND why the tags got offed along with them?

you've answered some really important questions, which is great, but have not answered anything related to this. I would REALLY like some reasoning behind this, even if its a "Whoops we fucked up and hit the 'delete all' button!" or some other mistake. I'd feel better knowing that than not knowing anything at all
blackice85 FAKKU! Gold
I'm a little shocked at how many people are that upset by this. I mean I can understand being disappointed since I've pirated before out of necessity (no money or not available legally), but I never would have taken it personally since piracy is a grey area at best.

How can anyone here act indignant when unlicensed content is being removed at the behest of the owners? I see that some of you are claiming to have supported the site, but what were you doing exactly? You now have a chance to directly support the artists and the industry as a whole, but instead you act betrayed at the transition that is required for that to happen?
YQII FAKKU Translator
Corvette7 wrote...
I saw the list of artists from the magazine. Are those going to the only artists we see or are you going to allow another artists from other magazine to be put on web site.

Those are only the artists from the June and July issues of Kairakuten and X-Eros. We're starting off by publishing those two magazines, and whoever has a story in a new issue will end up here. Several names on that list are completely new artist who haven't been published in the past (in Japan or anywhere for that matter), so the list will just continue to expand.
BitNdragon More Than A God
Corvette7 wrote...
I have just one question? I saw the list of artists from the magazine. Are those going to the only artists we see or are you going to allow another artists from other magazine to be put on web site. I also saw cruchroll charges for membership of $11.99. We don't have that kind of money. And if we have to pay for membership and doujinshi separate. You are going to lose a lots of people to other web sites.

Crunchyroll's membership is 6.95 for all access it's only 11.95 if you want more deals in the store with free shipping no matter what the order costs.
I can't agree with this move. There's just no way I can. The level of censorship involved with this move is beyond staggering, it's disgusting. I don't particularly care that you're trying to avoid playing favorites with artists, but this is simply destroying the entire ecosystem of this site. If all content is going to be behind paid walls where instead of getting things I'm interested in, I get wholesale batches of fetishes and junk I don't care about because they're now "bundled as magazines" and I'm being forced to sift through them and see content I don't want to see, then there are much better sites than this to frequent. It's pretty shitty when I look at my Notifications page for the last few days and see 30+ new uploads for things I subscribed to now all removed. I estimate probably half the content or more on the site disappearing completely, and the userbase with it. This is a rather rushed and poorly-thought move to spring on your users, and you have to be pretty stupid to think people wouldn't be angry about it.

Jacob wrote...

I never said anything about blocking free users from accessing content, just that unlicensed content will all be removed.

What's the difference? If the only content left is licensed, which is all behind pay walls and in magazines, there is no free content left.
Ok, one thing that people need to realize on this topic is that you cant STOP this from happening. Its going to happen. No matter how vile your response is, it wont stop this.

What you can do is find out as much information that you can. And then determine if you can stay or not.

Also, stop the 'threats' of moving to another site. Believe it or not, I am sure that the CREATOR OF THE SITE has the metrics of people coming to their site. If you feel that this site is no longer in line with what you want, then leave. If enough of the site leaves then they MIGHT consider reworking a couple things. BUT what wont change anything is posting on here insulting the creator and otherwise being just an unpleasant human being. This wont make them go 'OH SHIT WE HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG!!!' It will just make them go instead 'Ok, nothing of good is coming out of this conversation, ignore, move on and keep going with what we are doing.'

Real talk though, Jacob, I do look forward to whatever info you can give out because obviously there are quite a few people who are worried about this transition.
I do have a question though. Will all these artists from the magazines whether new or established be getting their collected volumes released in english when or if they are slated for release in Japan?