[Locked] Do you believe religion should even exist?

Pages 12345NextLast
Voting for this poll has ended.

Do you believe the world would be better off without religion?

Total Votes : 38
Hey guys..
I always wanted to ask this question to everybody to know if religion should even exist.
Isn't religion the cause of so many problems around the world?
Why are people hating each other just because they have different beliefs?
Muslim, Christianity, Jew, Buddhism, FreeMason, so many religions exist and they are all arguing over which religion the better one is.

The people in this century treat religion like some sort of trend, while others treat it very seriously and would even kill a human being for insulting what they believe in.

What would our world look like without religion? A paradise or maybe a living hell?

I would like to know your answers and if possible your opinion as well.
I like that answer, truly it doesn't matter as long as there is peace.

But there is no true peace on grounds of religion, so the only answer left is..
I say let them believe. I couldn't care less what your personal religion is so long as it remains personal and the restrictions or tenets of your religion remain within your group.

If your religion requires you to pray 4 times a day in a bathtub full of strawberry shake mix while listening to Elvis records backwards then I don't care. Keep it to yourself and keep it peaceful.

Even for the L.D.S polygamy cults I don't care if you want to live in a walled compound and marry 3+ wives or husbands. So long as the people involved are not being forced into the marriage and no children are being married off to older men.

Once the religious start imposing their tenets and beliefs on us through Government or simply intimidating us into following their religion, then I'm busting out the torches and pitchforks.
Fiery_penguin_of_doom wrote...
I say let them believe. I couldn't care less what your personal religion is so long as it remains personal and the restrictions or tenets of your religion remain within your group.

If your religion requires you to pray 4 times a day in a bathtub full of strawberry shake mix while listening to Elvis records backwards then I don't care. Keep it to yourself and keep it peaceful.

Even for the L.D.S polygamy cults I don't care if you want to live in a walled compound and marry 3+ wives or husbands. So long as the people involved are not being forced into the marriage and no children are being married off to older men.

Once the religious start imposing their tenets and beliefs on us through Government or simply intimidating us into following their religion, then I'm busting out the torches and pitchforks.

You couldn't have said it better..... I agree with you on that one

I believe people should keep their religion for themselves and not force it onto other people....which is why im quite peaceful with myself
For the faithful, God exists, so religion remains to be relevant.

It can't get any simpler than that.

I believe people should keep their religion for themselves and not force it onto other people....which is why im quite peaceful with myself

If you knew, somehow, that 911 would have happened before it did, would you have tried to stop it from happening, or at least warning the people at the towers?

If the answer is yes, then saying "people should keep religion to themselves" is hypocritical. A person who is religious (particularly religions that believe in a soul) and genuinely cares about others CANNOT keep it to themselves. They will try their best to stop people from damning themselves and to save as many people possible.

Of course, this is not to say that every religious person who is imposing their religion is actually altruistic. The majority of them are just plain asses and religion is nothing more that a tool for power.
FinalBoss #levelupyourgrind
I made a joke to my family that I could create my own religion if I really wanted to. Its pretty simple to pull it off, but I'll hold on to that idea until I get extremely bored. Anyways, I believe religion should exist (but to me it is unnecessary). People need a "higher power" that they must answer to. For most people, that higher power is their parents (until they get old enough to think for themselves). After parents would come authority figures and/or experts. If neither of those phase you anymore, you'll only answer to yourself and/or God.

For me, the only thing greater than myself is God. However, in order for me to talk to him again, I had to remodel the common concept of God. This was needed in order to satisfy my flimsy faith in such an entity.
Meh my faith doesn't want people to convert to our brand of Judeo Christianity... mainly because the roman popeist hunted them down and nearly wiped out a sect of the main branch... believe your beliefs and leave others to their faiths.

But if you find us and like the message then your welcome to come.. we have cookies.
Honestly, the world could really work like this;

~Each religion keeps to itself.
~Each religion is allowed their own beliefs eternally.
~Each religion must either respect or ignore another.
~Once a person is of an age where they can determine what they believe (18 maybe?), they choose which religion/practice/faith to follow.
~Each religion is prohibited from garnering support for its own beliefs. (commercially)
~Each religion is forbidden from advertising itself. (comercially)
~Religion must remain entirely separate from state except when a person's views do not interfere with the government's decisions.

^My beliefs.
Gravity cat the adequately amused
I couldn't answer in the Poll because without religion, most of us would go crazy from the lack of a "reason for being here". Religion causes war but at the same time it shoves morals down our throats from birth. It's like a triple-ended sword and quite a difficult subject to discuss.
Not another religion topic, but to answer your question yes religion should exist because without it some would go out of control.
1. Why is Goku the picture of this thread?

say what! wrote...
Not another religion topic

Spoiler:
Fiery_penguin_of_doom wrote...

Yes. My answer to this thread.

Spoiler:
fatman wrote...
If you knew, somehow, that 911 would have happened before it did, would you have tried to stop it from happening, or at least warning the people at the towers?

If the answer is yes, then saying "people should keep religion to themselves" is hypocritical. A person who is religious (particularly religions that believe in a soul) and genuinely cares about others CANNOT keep it to themselves. They will try their best to stop people from damning themselves and to save as many people possible.

Of course, this is not to say that every religious person who is imposing their religion is actually altruistic. The majority of them are just plain asses and religion is nothing more that a tool for power.

When it happened I was incapable of understanding what religion is much less something like 9/11 so knowing at the time wouldnt have meant anything to me. And if somehow I was time travelled to 2000 (I think getting there in june 2001 is a tad late) and knew about it I wouldnt do anything. If I've learned anything from sci-fi it is to not screw with history using time travel.

5. Can we have a religion subsection of SD?
fatman wrote...
For the faithful, God exists, so religion remains to be relevant.

It can't get any simpler than that.

You said it yourself.. the majority of the religion are plain asses and they use this religion as a tool for power.....

I totally agree with you that a person who is passionately religious and wishes nothing more than to peacefully spread his message SHOULD spread his religion around....

But the reality is a muslim who spreads his message in a peaceful manner gets kicked on and spit on because those same muslims wants their religion to be displayed as a symbol of power and not peace (Islamic example)

and I apologize that I havent written it clearly....
"People who abuse their religion and at the same time wants to spread it around should keep that for themselves" I hope I have written it clearly now ;)
Takerial Lovable Teddy Bear
Dollci, when you started talking about Muslims in such a manner, I realized that you have little knowledge on the actual Islam religion and how most people act so I'm just going to shake my head.

Also funny that a lot of this seems to boil down to people saying people need to believe a certain way.
Why do dumb people even exist? Because they doesn't have the grace of god of being me.

OT:

Really? REALLY? You seriously got to ask something like that? Another thread about religion? Can you people stop fucking doing that?! Whether or not your religious means shit to people. People don't have the right to force what they believe onto others in a free society. Also why the hell is there so many threads about religion in the first place? Majority of the time its the same damn topic!

Tegumi please delete this post if you think its stupid. (if you happen to see it)

Also

if this post isn't deleted that doesn't mean its not stupid. I won't do the whole "if this doesn't happen that means I am right" shit. Cause that's just using a non-existent tool to prove myself right with no hard evidence.

A lack of evidence doesn't prove anything other then the fact that you have no evidence.

edit:

Where is the OP is a Faggot option in the poll?
Takerial wrote...
Dollci, when you started talking about Muslims in such a manner, I realized that you have little knowledge on the actual Islam religion and how most people act so I'm just going to shake my head.

Also funny that a lot of this seems to boil down to people saying people need to believe a certain way.

Takerial it's not that I don't know this religion, it's that there are good and bad sides in EVERY religion and that there is even conflicts within it's own circle.

One healthy info for you... I been there and experienced the good and the bad since I myself am a muslim. I speak from experience and not from what others tell me.

There is not need any manners when talking about it.... there exist something much greater than religion and that is the good and the bad and it exists within every religion.
Renovartio wrote...
Why do dumb people even exist? Because they doesn't have the grace of god of being me.

OT:

Really? REALLY? You seriously got to ask something like that? Another thread about religion? Can you people stop fucking doing that?! Whether or not your religious means shit to people. People don't have the right to force what they believe onto others in a free society. Also why the hell is there so many threads about religion in the first place? Majority of the time its the same damn topic!

Tegumi please delete this post if you think its stupid. (if you happen to see it)

Also

if this post isn't deleted that doesn't mean its not stupid. I won't do the whole "if this doesn't happen that means I am right" shit. Cause that's just using a non-existent tool to prove myself right with no hard evidence.

A lack of evidence doesn't prove anything other then the fact that you have no evidence.

edit:

Yeah I really don't wanna reply to your complaints but I do give you a point that there is too much religious topics here and I hope it ends with me, but I just wanted to get this question and topic off my chest and I hope a person with intelligents such as yourself can understand that... nothing personal buddy.
Takerial Lovable Teddy Bear
If you are Muslim, then why are you acting ignorant on how the vast majority conduct their religion?

You're doing what everyone else does and just point at fanatics and go "Look at this bad."

That's not because of Religion, that's because those people are crazy. And you're making the same generalizations that so many people love to make about things.

Honestly, I find it hard to actually see you being Muslim considering how you seem to know so little.
Legendary_Dollci wrote...
Renovartio wrote...

OT:

Also

edit:

Yeah I really don't wanna reply to your complaints but I do give you a point that there is too much religious topics here and I hope it ends with me, but I just wanted to get this question and topic off my chest and I hope a person with intelligence such as yourself can understand that... nothing personal buddy.

Sorry I just don't see why people keep making religion threads -.-
Renovartio wrote...
Legendary_Dollci wrote...
Renovartio wrote...

OT:

Also

edit:

Yeah I really don't wanna reply to your complaints but I do give you a point that there is too much religious topics here and I hope it ends with me, but I just wanted to get this question and topic off my chest and I hope a person with intelligence such as yourself can understand that... nothing personal buddy.

Sorry I just don't see why people keep making religion threads -.-

Religion is a BIG topic and this topic in the outside world will continue for tens or hundreds of years regardless of how much we don't wanna discuss this...

But I understand what you mean by that and I totally agree with you since this topic is a old topic that religious leaders can discuss and not normal citizens like us necessarily need to discuss....
I hope we're now on the same level now
Takerial wrote...
If you are Muslim, then why are you acting ignorant on how the vast majority conduct their religion?

You're doing what everyone else does and just point at fanatics and go "Look at this bad."

That's not because of Religion, that's because those people are crazy. And you're making the same generalizations that so many people love to make about things.

Honestly, I find it hard to actually see you being Muslim considering how you seem to know so little.

Im not ignorant, and I don't point my finger out and say that is bad and I dont generalize things just because I want to see it that way...
How can you say im not a muslim considering I know so little.... here is an example... a muslim baby is born, does he know everything? NO..... I dont need all the knowledge in the world to become a muslim because one human being is incapable of attaining ALL the knowledge in this universe...
Now you are generalizing that you have to know everything to be a muslim...
What kind of assumption is that?
You are clearly the one who assumes how things are.
Now enough of this argument about how much knowledge you need to become a muslim...

This is a question poll about if religion should exist.. if you can't answer the question then I please you to leave...
I only set out an example and not an assumption, cant you read (Islamic example) when I mentioned about it?
Pages 12345NextLast