[Locked] FAKKU State of the Union 2016

boltsandguns Electroshock TheRapist
Koryu_Pervert_san wrote...
I understand the decision; scanlation sites never last for long. At least, you're assured you'll survive this way... and get payed for surviving! ^.^

One question though: I subscribed on impulse, but I don't even know how to cancel my subscription. Are there instructions as to how to manage one's subscription and things like that?

On the settings page upper left hand region is 'Subscription settings' in there you can modify payment options and cancel
boltsandguns wrote...
Koryu_Pervert_san wrote...
I understand the decision; scanlation sites never last for long. At least, you're assured you'll survive this way... and get payed for surviving! ^.^

One question though: I subscribed on impulse, but I don't even know how to cancel my subscription. Are there instructions as to how to manage one's subscription and things like that?

On the settings page upper left hand region is 'Subscription settings' in there you can modify payment options and cancel

Cheers!
Hmmmm, now that i think about it $13 per month isn't that much. I'll probs bag a sub once I have a bit more money coming in which should be in a couple of months.
blackice85 wrote...

Alright, you're not the only one to say something of the sort here so I don't mean to pick on you, but I gotta ask. Why? Do you really want Japanese creators and business to ignore the West? Should we always be begging for scraps? I'm thankful for all the work scanlators have done, but is that how it should always be?

I get that not everyone can afford it, but wishing failure upon the Western market for hentai (what little of it there is at this point), I just don't get it. Honestly it comes off really immature, I feel embarrassed to see it.

My original post was quite rash and feel bad about it. Sorry for the malice.
I'm still disassembling what brought about the emotions. best I can figure is melancholy. I've lurked at this site for something around 6-7 years and to see it change so much in a short time (yes, including the six months warning). It... It hurts? yeah, I guess. kinda.

I stumbled on a best of 2014 list while looking around to see what sort of new stuff is here and it felt like a photo of something that was burned to ash. stuff that's lost. All the top comments were about things lost. every single best, worst, and controversial. Lost. The core of what I enjoyed was lost. gutted even. by those who celebrated it a year back. And I guess that's what is making me mad/sad. We're loosing so much for something I don't (or didn't perhaps) care about. We seemed to be doing pretty ok even if the Japanese creators ignored us, I never begged for anything, and what we had felt like enough to satisfy. they were not scraps to me. Cries that the western hentai market needs help fall on apathetic ears. Is it how it should be? nah, but it is how its been and it seemed pretty fine to a casual like me.

what you see is a chance for a medium to improve. what I see is a community being gutted and a history being burned during a shitty, but entirely understandable situation.

I'm a bit torn,
Rot was a bit... violent. a closer sentiment would be "I hope your new business venture fails and you spend nights staring at the ceiling and feeling a pit of regret your decisions mull around the bottom of your stomachs for years to come until you are a hollow shell of the happy men you were."

But I do also do want him to succeed. I've liked the staff at all the con interviews I've seen of them. Their posts were fun. The site has a lovely UI that is clean and functional while still being pleasing to the eyes. I like that he's moving with the times. The laws have changed and rather than playing "which country wont raid my servers" Roulette he stepped up and dealt with the problem. I do like the crunchyroll model that has been setup (though I would lodge a complaint for Continent quantity, cost, and complete lack of a preview system. first five pages or freebie chapter of the month or something like that.) I'll probably forget about this site for another two or three months, then come back and if the selection and preview have improved test it out for a month.

I don't think I'll ever trust them quite the same too. There's money in the pot now and they've taken every other ingredient out. It will color the words I read from the staff.

Pretty sure I'm going through a truncated version of the stages of grief and mulling somewhere between depression and acceptance.

so thats more or less why. think I got a bit off topic. sorry about that

Tl:Dr - gutting all at once and removing history make me melancholy. I am interested in the future.
I'm more surprised there wasn't just a mass DCMA so that people who favorited things could still recall the chapters if they ever wanted to read them again some time. Yeah the export function works but my god is it a mess to sift through on notepad.

Likewise the reason I used fakku wasn't just for the massive catalog. For me, it was the reading format. The reading format for the free content in my opinion is still way better than the current reader that is used on the books and some of the stuff provided to those who bought books before the sub set up. I could go to a different hentai site and read there like gehentai but their reader is horrible to deal with while trying to go at it.
If we could get that same free reading style as an option for content I would definitely drop my funi subscription and switch to a fakku subscription (would definitely prefer if it was like 15 bucks for 3 months though, 13 a month is pretty heavy).

The new reading format is literally the only thing holding me back from buying a subscription. At that point I'm ready and willing to be with fakku as it continues into the future.

So yeah, just having the option to have the original reader be used instead would be great (accidentally hitting the page up or page down key and having it switch to the next page instead of being used as a quick scroll option really sucks). If I get that back I'd be willing to pay money.
Well now that we have 5 yuri doujins, I'm done with this site. Nothing to keep me here anymore. Thanks for being a decent resource in the past. Best of luck in your future endeavors.
Good luck! I've really enjoyed watching this company evolve since '07?-'08? Or at least, longer than I was a member. I haven't always agreed with everything, but I respect the decisions for what they are. I do think the NTR was a little over the top, quantitatively, but other than that, it's been an enlightening experience. I do wish y'all all the best, and I'll keep checking back to stay relatively updated. Again, good luck.
YQII FAKKU Translator
Rippedyanu1 wrote...
The new reading format is literally the only thing holding me back from buying a subscription.

If you're unhappy with the books reader, it's worth noting that it's not the same one that is used for subscription content. The subscription reader is updated and has more features, such as a thumbnail view and support for two page spreads.

What exactly are your issues with the premium reader? If you have any questions, @Daiz should be able to fill you in.
this is actually good for a few reasons.

not many underaged people can actually watch the content now, as long as they dont steal their parents creditcard. (or they can just simply google some free hentai)
great new content, as in my previous post the content is getting better and people are getting more talented and i think this is a great way to suport em.

still i think it sucks for allot of us.
luinthoron wrote...

That sounds nice and all, but for a marketing campaign for your company's product, you would normally not use goods stolen from another company. Not to mention, these freebies would be in no way representative of the quality of what Fakku offers.

A much better way to accomplish this freebie campaign would be Fakku's planned rotation of some free chapters.

Everything about piracy is in essence, stolen. I'm not saying its a marketing campaign, I'm saying its a symbiotic relationship between Fakku and the new site,(at least in terms of sales, the new site is still stuff from piracy)that is if we only shift the audience and nothing else. The new site inherits old fakku's userbase, and current fakku enjoys the benefits of being an 'Alma mater'. Also, because I did mention freebies, they're not supposed to be a representation of the quality. They're supposed to be the genuine article, giving the user freedom of choice to buy it on some other platform.

SenatorSmash wrote...

The freebies, though, are Wani's un-endorsed products.

If the product, the website, or the profits ever, in any way, get traced back to FAKKU, it'll be the same as if FAKKU had tried to sell unlicensed products behind their back. As autonomous as you're trying to make your plan sound like it's unaffiliated with FAKKU, it still, in some way, shape, or form, is being linked to FAKKU.

As much as you may want to try out this plan, I think there's (to be blunt) no chance in hell FAKKU would ever give you permission to do something that could endanger their business like this, both on an economical and moral ground.

I know the freebies are Wani's and other content creator's unendorsed products, that's what piracy is about.
Care to tell me how would Fakku still be linked to this new site? Especially sales. Like I said before, the donation of the old database is just paying respects. It can most certainly be procured from other places. What I'm saying is that we create a similar UI and move the audience base over. (at least the ones that are being lost left right and center). Whether they choose to buy from Fakku or some other site is up to their discretion. And assuming that we do not accept anything from Fakku and have no relations to it, can you claim that the shifted audience is some sort of evidence to trace back to Fakku?

blackice85 wrote...

Came to say this. It's one thing to scanlate stuff before, but they've now entered into a business agreement with them in order to be legitimate. Wani actually decided to deal with the people who were infringing on their content all that time, and he's suggesting they stab them in the back so they can have it both ways? It's an insane idea, and as you said I'm shocked he works in business if he thinks being deceptive is a good idea. Maybe it's more common in the West, but that doesn't mean it's a good move.

Like I said, and it's a revision since so many of you worry for Fakku's survival, that none of Fakku's content will be on the new site. It will be the same content, but from somewhere else. I don't know what line of work you are in, but this is how many people do things in this world.

Likhos01 wrote...

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking Kami's plan is dumb.

Thanks for the feedback, I certainly appreciate this much needed opinion.

OmegaZuel wrote...

Are you serious?

So basically you saying don't just do it behind their back but be super super secret about it and you'll never get caught. Now apart from the moral argument which is that this endevor is supposed to be about making sure the original artists get paid for their hard work are you seriously guranteeing they'll never get caught?? That's bloody naive.

"Donate to pirates".....sigh...

Yes I am serious. But no, that's not what I'm trying to say at all. Basically I'm saying, 'lets make a copy of everything and make everyone use the new site since this site has gone to shit and we can't handle paying money'. I'm guaranteeing them not getting caught by not even being related to them, apart from audience base. How about that?

"Donate to pirates" was a euphemism.
Your plan is not only dumb but wholly unnecessary. Your wish is like asking Youtube to supply video footage for a pirate TV site when there are already sites that just rip the broadcasts directly instead.
Fakku still maintains an admirable relationship with the scan scene; many groups are still hosted with Fakku and recently they straight up uploaded Bosshi's doujin onto EX as a symbolic gesture. I can't imagine publishers being comfortable with this level of interaction with the scan scene and you want direct collusion?
yahooeny wrote...
Your plan is not only dumb but wholly unnecessary. Your wish is like asking Youtube to supply video footage for a pirate TV site when there are already sites that just rip the broadcasts directly instead.
Fakku still maintains an admirable relationship with the scan scene; many groups are still hosted with Fakku and recently they straight up uploaded Bosshi's doujin onto EX as a symbolic gesture. I can't imagine publishers being comfortable with this level of interaction with the scan scene and you want direct collusion?

his wish is basically having another "old" fakku, ran like the "old" fakku, for his pirated fap material.
how can anyone not figure out fakku supported such a move that promotes piracy, when they turned legit.

if fakku wants to be legit, dont suggest them anything approximately or even remotely promotes piracy, just for the pirater's benefit. because it's not their benefit in the longrun. not everything is about money.
Oh yeah speaking of money, you noticed how EX hasn't had a noteworthy usability update in years, that Pururin is dead in the water, and that every other alternative either has some highly questionable business models or mired by poor usability or maintenance?
Yeah, so like, at some point we gotta move on and get some big-boy jobs. Or profit at the expense of other people's unauthorized content HACKCOUGHDOUJINMOECOUGH
Well, what can i say.

To start with, i fully support what Jacob is doing with FAKKU (and don't even think i'm licking his ass because i'm not).

The fact is that what FAKKU used to do was illegal in the first place. The Hentaï we read didn't even belonged to us so complaining about it being erased for a LEGAL model (with same content as Japan AND at the SAME time AND UNCENSORED) is kinda misplaced.

People have no rights to complain about things that don't even belonged to them in the first place.That's the same thing for Video Games.

Though the things we can complain about are the lack of payment methods and options with subscription. But it's still new so i think these problem will be solved over time.
So sad because fakku is not free reading will have to pay before we read not like before is free :( :( :( :( :(
Sadly I came back too late and couldn't recover my favorites which is a blow i took with gritted teeth. However I do understand the decision and tbh, this was like money falling from the sky, now that it's over, I am not happy but also not shocked. I do hope the site will upload more content and gather the people once more, I will lurk and watch in the mean time.
luinthoron High Priest of Loli
shade7480 wrote...
Sadly I came back too late and couldn't recover my favorites which is a blow i took with gritted teeth. However I do understand the decision and tbh, this was like money falling from the sky, now that it's over, I am not happy but also not shocked. I do hope the site will upload more content and gather the people once more, I will lurk and watch in the mean time.

Exporting your favorites (and/or collections) will still give you the list including removed content as well.
I'm totally okay with this. but there's something I really want to say is...
your subscription plan price is more expensive than Netflix in my country!
I'm going to support you guys for sure. But please (really please) make it really worth what I paid for. more comic maybe :)

ps. my wish list is offline reading (very difficult to happen I know.)
I'm so dissapoint3d. :( there goes my years of membership, and many more before I joined.
I'm cool with it. Just one thing: WHY were the scans removed from the favorites section? I mean you could've transferred it to a 'old favorites' section and made them inaccesible, hell I don't even care about the cover, even a list would've been fine. But now how am I to remember all the manga I've enjoyed so that I can buy it.