Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

Total Votes : 6,953
I used to be alright with dubbed anime when I first got into it, but after watching a few subbed anime, and getting used to reading while watching, I couldn't have it any other way. Often I find the english voices match up horribly with the character they're representing. And, because of the translations (and overzealous localizations), they lose a lot of the nuances of the original japanese language (such as the suffixes, and titles such as "sempai", Kohai").
This isn't to say ALL dubbed anime is like that, I personally thought they did a great job with Cowboy Bebop, Ninja Scroll, and Vampire Hunter D. But, even in cases like that, I end up preferring the Japanese voices over the English, as they fit the characters that much better.
I'll go with subbed :D
I prefer most anime dubbed.
SUB! Keeps the Japanese anime, Japanese.
i rarely like Dubbed anime..prefer Subbed ones
and i made a mistake instead of clicking Subbed i clicked Dubbed...T__T
i know some dubs are bad but i think everyone is overkiliing it. some animes were better with the english dub than the jap dub, Trinity Blood i thought was much better in english. Haruhi was equal quality i thought the english voice actors matched the characters personalities well. few others i thought eng was better like yu yu hakusho. in my situation i usually am unable to see the english dub only jp dub so i havent been able to really compile a list of quality. some eng dubs fail due to the lip syncking. the company makes sure the lips match up so much that the words lose some quality
I wanted to say something about the quality of dubbed anime, but I don't think I need to looking at how the voting is going, lol.
The only sub I will accept is the FMA dubs and the only reason is probably that I saw them dubbed first. I think Samurai Champloo dubs there good too. Mugen voice fit his personality perfectly.
wow,my choice always good, hha :D
if you voted for dubbed, then get the F out
MidnightTide wrote...
if you voted for dubbed, then get the F out

Nah, I think I'll stay. :)
Agreed, I think I'll stay, but thank you for the flamebait.

In fact, I'm gonna rant about this, I'm really feeling it here - screw the fanboys. But assuming that both were treated to the same level of quality/professionalism I would go with dubs. The problem is that quality (as many have noted) is often horrid compared to subs, not that dub itself is inferior in any way. If I had to guess, it would probably be because dubbing is harder and costs a lot more money to do well. Though of course the communities instant bashing of dubs undoubtedly gives the companies that localize animes a 'why bother' attitude when it comes to dubbing, with the only reason it's being put in in the first place would be to appease mainstream Americans who want English. Which would certainly explain all the dramatic experiences with bad translations.

That said, there are good dubs out there. There are REALLY good dubs out there. There are AMAZING dubs out there. The best would probably be 'Yu Yu Hakusho'[and in fact the official dub was far better quality than the subs IMO, which proves that it can be done if the companies care enough].

And honestly, I'll be straight. If I wanted to willingly read dialogue I'd dig up the manga. I don't like pausing to get that 40 word sentence in .2 seconds anyways :P
I prefer Subtitled Anime ^_^
Probably i would Prefer Subbed Anime though than Dubbed although Dubbed is Good but i want to hear the Japanese dubbed cause some dubbers having some errors on there words so i would prefer subbed than dub
Subbed anime FTW. I tolerate dubs as long as they dont kill the plot.
I much prefer subbed, but my hypothesis to why most dubbed anime are so bad is that the VA base of America is tiny compared to the Seiyuu base of Japan. Popular idols as well as famous actors all contribute to voice acting in the industry, bringing with them an extremely large experience in acting into the pool.
I usually go with subs, but I have a few exceptions.
Baccano!, Cowboy Bebop, Cromartie High, FLCL, and some other dubbing greats all make the list.
I also enjoy most of the English casted dubs for Studio Ghibli films.
subbed or i wont get in a good mood :o)
To me it just depends on the anime I'm watching.
Like Aquarion I like the dubbed version of Mugen(infinity)Punch Because I laugh alot. but other then that I prefer the subbed version. My opinion is if its Giant Robots then subbed is better. Anything else could go either way.
Hentai: always subbed. they never get the same feel as original japanese. when dubbed, the inflections and emotions always sound forced to me.

plain old anime: sometimes subbed. especialy something that's heavy on the action. that way i can watch the action and not have to look away to read the subs. other wise i i have to watch the same one several times in a row just to get all the action and dialog.