Dakimakuras anyone?

Shashin I <3 dakimakura covers
Alright, been home for about a week now and wish I were still in Japan. :P

Overall, I bought 10 covers (1 of which I unfortunately sold back to Mandarake), a few tapestries, a fat stack of doujinshi (willowywicca can attest to this), and some other miscellaneous goodies.

The trip was an exceptional experience, and I've tried convincing my best friend to save up with me so that we can go sometime next year.

For the juicy details, Ore no Yome was a lot of fun. It took place on Mandarake's 4th floor at Grandchaos, and I think the event space is hidden behind a curtain when not in use; I don't remember it being a part of the store when I went just a few days before. Anyhow, the space is fairly small, maybe 20' x 30' or so. It was enough for two fairly wide aisles, with nothing against the first wall, two tables back to back in the middle (with room for people to sit behind them on each side), and then another row of tables on the opposite wall. Overall, there were something like 30 available spaces, each table offering 2 spaces. Most circles took up a full table and there was one empty space, so I think there were maybe 13-14 circles participating in all.

I was speaking to a few people before my trip, and I had told anko I was coming to the event. She told me beforehand to line up at other tables first, since she wasn't going to have any new works for sale. I'd say there maybe 100-150 non-circle participants at the event. I had woken up a little late, so I didn't arrive in Osaka until about 11:30 and it was maybe 11:50 by the time I made it to Mandarake. Luckily, there was a fairly long line outside of the building forming and position was based entirely on ticket number. Willowywicca and I had purchased my ticket at the Nakano store, where they usually don't sell it physically (only ship it out for mail order), but since it was a special case they sold it to me. My ticket number was 27, out of people in the mid/high 100s (people bought multiple tickets for a chance to get in higher/secure more spots in the drawing near the end.)

Anyhow, they open the doors at 12 and we all make our way to the 4th floor. They were very insistent that the number on your ticket dictate the place you're able to secure in line; I wasn't familiar with the store, so I just followed the first person up that I could and I was stopped at the top of the (unmoving) escalator until until it was my turn to go. I decided to line up at Marks first, and bought two covers; I would have bought them all if funds were unlimited, but I only had 60k on me. So I bought two covers and the 150x50 Snow Miku microfiber towel, for a total of 28k. With 32k left, I looked around a bit but didn't want to wait in any of the crazy lines.

I wasn't familiar with のびのびフラクタル, otherwise I would have lined up there next (other than anko/Marks, this was the only booth that had a fairly large line.) Turns out that it was a combination of the circles/sellers, with Suku Revolution, Recruit, and にのこや covers being sold. So as I was still looking around, I decided to buy the Argyle Shimakaze for 13k, bringing me down to 19k cash remaining (and this was all the money I had left.) I decided it was time to line up for anko, since I had brought a batch of goodies for her. The line went out of the building and onto the stairs, all the way down to maybe the start of floor 2. I waited my turn, presented my goods, and she said she'd ship me Mikan (she was taking preorders for her.) I had spoken with her a bit before through email, so I thought she spoke some English, but I guess it was done through Google Translate, because we had a pretty hard time communicating other than that.

After that, I finally made my way to the other set of booths, and it was here that I saw the Suku Revo covers; with Mikan and Golden Darkness. Shit, those are always so expensive, and I want that Mikan cover. So I get in the line, and someone is passing back the laminated page with the items being sold/prices... Mikan and Golden Darkness are only being sold as a set for 24k. Shit.

Actually, going back to the start of the event, I wasn't sure how the lines worked/or where Marks was. So I had to fumble with the staff, when I ran into a collector who spoke English; he asked me if I was Tom-san. Apparently my name had been passed around a bit before the event, maybe because I was the only foreigner to attend, and a few people knew who I was. Anyhow, he acted as a translator for me and got me into the Marks queue. I proceeded to talk with him throughout the entire event.

After I had done my shopping and spent most of my money (I left with 15k and the remaining amount on my credit card used up), I met up with my new friend again and told him I was staying in Tokyo. He asked if I was going to KanColle event tomorrow, and I said yes and asked if I had to purchase a ticket. He told me yeah, but that he'd try to get me one from a friend. A bit later, he introduced me to Aoi-san, the artist behind Verdant Force. I was given a ticket, and to my surprise, it was for circle entry (meaning I got in a full 1:30 before the event officially started.)

There wasn't too much more to the event, other than the rock paper scissors tournament, which took me a few rounds to get used to since I wasn't familiar with the format of it. I didn't end up winning anything unfortunately, and there were some pretty good prizes on the line. A few dakimakura covers, a coupon for a free Stylus cover, a Kirishima model ship, and the grand prize was a huge hand drawn image from the top half of anko's Momo cover (sfw side.)

As the event was winding down, I ended up going out for sushi with anko-san, Aoi-san, and a few other attendees that I didn't introduce myself to. It was a bit awkward not speaking any Japanese, but I still had a good time, and it was really nice to be able to hang out with such friendly people.

Ore no Yome was great, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who has a chance to go.

So moving onto the KanColle event, which was held at the Tokyo Big Sight. I made my way there around 9:30, and met up with my English speaking friend, who showed me where all of my favorite circles would be once the event started. I decided I'd queue up at the Ichigo Size booth, just in case they had the Shimakaze cover (it was a KanColle event, after all.) That ended up being a bust, but I bought the tapestry since I felt like an idiot waiting in line when they didn't have any covers at all. It worked out in the end, since I bought it for 2.5k and sold it to Mandarake for 4k the next day.

After that, I just kinda wandered the hall, buying a few doujinshi here and there. I also bought a cosplay DVD and book from Saku who is just as cute in person as she is in her cosplay. I have to say that I'm honestly infatuated with her. But anyhow, after that I just wandered around for a bit more; the event took up one full hall, and was fairly crowded.

I had plans to meet up with a friend from Reddit, and we probably met up around 12:30. After that, the three of us (he brought a friend) went to Akihabara, and spent the rest of the day exploring.
Sounds really awesome :)

Hah, I should really try to get friendly with some artists through twitter :p really jealous of your adventure!

How was selling stuff to Mandarake? any difficulty since you couldn't fill out the forms alone I assume?
willowywicca wrote...
Sounds really awesome :)

Hah, I should really try to get friendly with some artists through twitter :p really jealous of your adventure!

How was selling stuff to Mandarake? any difficulty since you couldn't fill out the forms alone I assume?

I just sat in the line by the buyback center for about 10 minutes. There was a lady approaching the people waiting and having them fill out the basic form, but it took several hard doe-eyed stairs at her before she finally approached me (with my bag in hand.) After that, she had me fill out my name/address, and then had me show her what I brought (a Marks cover and the tapestry.) I imagine it might be slightly different for someone who speaks Japanese, but she just had me go up to the guy at the counter, he flipped around the screen showing both items on it; they wanted to give me 4k for the tapestry and 12k for the cover. If I spoke some Japanese, I would have tried to get maybe 13k for the cover, but I needed the cash so I just said "hai" to both.
Does anyone know if there's a site that keeps track of non-ero daki covers? Or a site which has a filter which can only show non-ero covers? By "non-ero" I mean absolutely all-ages on both sides. Or one side, it doesn't matter too much. My main interest is in seeing the variety.
Hmm, I don't recall ever finding any such site I'm afraid.
mogoron wrote...
Does anyone know if there's a site that keeps track of non-ero daki covers? Or a site which has a filter which can only show non-ero covers? By "non-ero" I mean absolutely all-ages on both sides. Or one side, it doesn't matter too much. My main interest is in seeing the variety.

Try this site.

Dakimakura Catalog

You may see some nude dakimakura on this site, but the majority are not. All of the dakimakura are organized by year and event.

Man it seems like covers I actually want take forever to get released. I guess its a good thing since after I bought my first one I kind of went a little wild. I don't even have a pillow yet!

I can usually find something wrong with a pillow I'm thinking about getting. Lilith always fucks something up with their covers that I don't like, the exception being the Lieri covers. I'd potentially buy the tan Asasgi cover if I had a good offer, but that is about it. All of the other covers have something I don't like. I don't have a pregnancy fetish, I don't like the non-optimum position the character is in, the art is just not to my liking. Sometimes it seems like Kagami isn't even the one doing the drawing.

Also why is it that some of the most erotic anime, that are pretty close to being hentai, have a slew of super tame covers?

I'm not a fan of a cover having two front facing covers. I kind of get it if the figure is clothed in one and then naked on the other side, but two front facing naked covers is kind of dumb. That one exception I'd buy like this is the Hisasi cover.
Some more photos:
http://www.figure.fm/en/post/52272/Dakimakura+Collection+74.html
http://www.figure.fm/en/post/52273/Dakimakura+Collection+75.html

If I keep up this pace, I might actually catch up on my backlog of unposted covers one day... but probably not really ;
I have Myucel. I cant sleep without her! :3
Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t521/sisi1212/OMUKWR5K7_WJ0KBA_zps0b2d068e.jpg
Jesus, I'm really liking Mark's Hotaru, just received it in the mail.

Unfortunately, I seemed to be screwed by Nekettsu, My Rozen Maiden covers is MIA.>_>
ZengarZanvolt wrote...

Unfortunately, I seemed to be screwed by Nekettsu, My Rozen Maiden covers is MIA.>_>

Which Hotaru did you end up with? I bought the rape version, and it's probably my favorite Marks cover. The normal version looks great too from what I've seen, but I'm always a fan of the novelty covers.

That sucks, I finally paid SutoCorp for my order, so it should hopefully be shipping soon. D:
Shashin wrote...
ZengarZanvolt wrote...

Which Hotaru did you end up with? I bought the rape version, and it's probably my favorite Marks cover. The normal version looks great too from what I've seen, but I'm always a fan of the novelty covers.

That sucks, I finally paid SutoCorp for my order, so it should hopefully be shipping soon. D:

I wanted one copy of the cum version. But it was crazy at 30k a pop on YJA, and they were bought outright. So I got 2 normal version covers instead.

Well, on topic about my Rozen covers, it seem to be in the warehouse after Nick told me it was in yesterday. Though I must admit, it's kinda odd that an item that was supposedly shipped on the 10th took more then 2 weeks.
It isn't the case for all my other purchases , they usually come in within a week after payment was confirmed. And even then the last order I made for the Asuna cover, it came in pretty promptly.
That's good to hear your Suiseiseki cover has turned up afterall ZZ.

I think one of you two should post some pics of this Marks' Hotaru cover though since now you're getting me interested :P
ZengarZanvolt wrote...
Shashin wrote...
ZengarZanvolt wrote...

I wanted one copy of the cum version. But it was crazy at 30k a pop on YJA, and they were bought outright. So I got 2 normal version covers instead.

Well, on topic about my Rozen covers, it seem to be in the warehouse after Nick told me it was in yesterday. Though I must admit, it's kinda odd that an item that was supposedly shipped on the 10th took more then 2 weeks.
It isn't the case for all my other purchases , they usually come in within a week after payment was confirmed. And even then the last order I made for the Asuna cover, it came in pretty promptly.

Yeah, in hindsight, I should probably have bought 2 of that version. I was short on funds and figured I could afford to buy 2 Marks covers, so I bought the cum version and one of the covers of the girl with orange-ish hair, which is the cover I ended up selling to Mandarake. Next time I go to Ore no Yome (and I would like to go again), I'll be sure to take a lot of money and buy doubles of everything if I can. The main problem was that the event was at the end of my trip, so while I saved as much as I could, most of my money was still spent by then. I imagine if I went at the beginning and took all of my money to the event, I would have had a very tough two weeks to follow.

That is a bit strange. I think I remember Kobun mentioning something to me the other day about the warehouses being a bit weird lately, but I haven't ordered anything from SMJ in several months, so I couldn't say.
Shashin wrote...
ZengarZanvolt wrote...
Shashin wrote...
ZengarZanvolt wrote...

Yeah, in hindsight, I should probably have bought 2 of that version. I was short on funds and figured I could afford to buy 2 Marks covers, so I bought the cum version and one of the covers of the girl with orange-ish hair, which is the cover I ended up selling to Mandarake. Next time I go to Ore no Yome (and I would like to go again), I'll be sure to take a lot of money and buy doubles of everything if I can. The main problem was that the event was at the end of my trip, so while I saved as much as I could, most of my money was still spent by then. I imagine if I went at the beginning and took all of my money to the event, I would have had a very tough two weeks to follow.

That is a bit strange. I think I remember Kobun mentioning something to me the other day about the warehouses being a bit weird lately, but I haven't ordered anything from SMJ in several months, so I couldn't say.

Yeah there's pros and cons for both going to an event at the start or end of your trip... I was pretty worried about my finances after I dropped like 120k at Denkigai on my second day in Japan (with 3 days of comiket to follow it too..), though I guess I was alright in the end. Buying covers for you Shashin was actually really good, since it meant I knew that even if I spent everything I had, I'd still have a some money again as soon as you arrived for the end of my trip :P

And I would strongly recommend you go to a comiket on a future trip (it's a bit hard to do both comiket and ore no yome in one trip due to the gap between them :( ) since it's truely a one of a kind experience. Personally, I'd like to go to Ore no Yome too.. but the draw of comiket is just too great to resist I think :( Currently, I plan/hope to go to Comiket again in 2 years time, so Winter 2015.. Who's up for a meet-up in japan then?!

I bought a cover on YJA recently through SMJ and there was nothing odd about it, arrived at SMJ shortly after payment to the seller and shipped out a day after I asked for it too... so I dunno, might just be that particular supplier giving trouble rather than SMJ itself.
Well, it's been how long since I posted pics,nowadays I'm too lazy and I'm still using my phone as a camera. :P

Forum Image: https://www.fakku.net/image-404/images/1883001-J3OJPPC.jpg
Forum Image: https://www.fakku.net/image-404/images/1883002-0M6JUQC.jpg

Anyway, I'm going to Japan with a friend during October. Bringing 4k USD with me, hope that's enough for me to spend.>_>
ZengarZanvolt wrote...
Well, it's been how long since I posted pics,nowadays I'm too lazy and I'm still using my phone as a camera. :P

Anyway, I'm going to Japan with a friend during October. Bringing 4k USD with me, hope that's enough for me to spend.>_>

Thanks!

If it were me, I'd imagine 4k is plenty. Not any big events on in october (or is there?) so that will mean there's not as many temptations to spend on. But given your spending history, I've no idea how much would be sufficient for you.
It would also depend on how long you want to stay and how well you want to eat/travel/do other things. I became addicted to the vending machines and liked eating a lot, so I spent a decent amount of my budget there (though hobby items were the majority of my expenditures.)

Between cash and credit, I probably spent about 4-5k in total, over two weeks. I ate well, came home with about 10 covers and a bunch of other goodies. I definitely would have taken more if I could have, but if there aren't any events going on, then I'd definitely think you'd be fine with 4k.
Some more pictures:

http://www.figure.fm/en/post/52349/Dakimakura+Collection+76.html
http://www.figure.fm/en/post/52351/Dakimakura+Collection+77.html

Edit: And some more!
http://www.figure.fm/en/post/52493/Dakimakura+Collection+78.html
http://www.figure.fm/en/post/52494/Dakimakura+Collection+79.html
Such a shame that this thread isn't as active as it used to be. :(
I blame Shashin!

I'm interested in some of these covers (ninoko and syroh) from Oukasai 2014 http://blog.埋もれる抱き枕er.jp/archives/10616 I hope they get a webshop release too after the event..

Teaser close-up from Dengeki of their Prism Recollection Hinano cover (illustrated by Shintaro). https://twitter.com/den_geki_hime/status/438586268310462464/photo/1