[Locked] Simulpublished Magazines and Content Removal

Awesome.

Once the money is in, can we please get some good web designers?

It's gonna need to look more professional if you're gonna go legit on our ass.
blackice85 FAKKU! Gold
dark494 wrote...
blackice85 wrote...
I just don't like it when people act like what Fakku is doing is bad. It might be inconvenient for some users, but it's not bad, because they were getting things for free that they weren't entitled to. I'm not making judgements on anyone, I pirate stuff too. But I'm also now supporting licensed books now that I can.

It's all a matter of perspective. It's fine and good what Jacob's doing for the good of legality and business of Fakku. But I think what they're doing is bad, if you look at the community/userbase they've fostered and supported for 9 years or so and the site they've built, this isn't good. This is so radical and sudden a change that it alienates so many people that use this site. There's no comparison to draw for the licensed books: It had 0 impact on the site's content, and it was easy to decide if it was a book that did or didn't have content you were interested in, because normal people are not going to throw money at something they have no interest in. So when the sudden decision is made that all controversial content and tags are nuked and aren't coming back, all unlicensed content is nuked and is not coming back, and the only content going forward is licensed magazines that come in bundles only, and you have to pay for the entire magazine regardless of if it has any content you care about at all just to "not play favorites with artists", makes 0 business sense. And you won't even have any way of knowing it has anything in it that interests you until it's too late and you've bought into it, only to shovel it away in the did not read list. That's not a model I can get behind, and it's not a decision you spring on your users the day you start the purge. It's very ham-fisted.

Well you're right it's a matter of perspective. For some people this is great, since previously we could only dream of some of these artists being officially licensed. And uncensored too, something not even Japanese readers have access to.

I don't think this is that sudden though, the Wani deal was announced like what, about a year ago? I'm actually surprised that they didn't take down material sooner.

But I'll say it again, give it a chance. There's a lot of doom and gloom here, why not give him the benefit of the doubt?
Hive-san wrote...
Awesome.

Once the money is in, can we please get some good web designers?

It's gonna need to look more professional if you're gonna go legit on our ass.

We have plans :) one thing at a time though. We have so much ground to cover before we can get to a re-design / large refactor project.
blackice85 wrote...

But I'll say it again, give it a chance. There's a lot of doom and gloom here, why not give him the benefit of the doubt?

because some of his actions towards his goal are a little curious and frustrating to us. Ive said before that I'm gonna hold judgment until its all done, but he's not doing things in...the best way he could in regards to his userbase. To take something that was built by the people(submitting scanlations and translating), for the people and start ripping it apart like he is...its a little harsh.

I guess what i'm trying to say is he could have put more thought into the method by which he reaches his goal. as it stands, between now and when everything is done, a lot of people have no reason to come to fakku because all the content they liked is gone.
Akemi Mokoto Director of LDTF
ooook, got it. Bring loli to Fakku, a few months later it vanishes then a month after it vanished, it returns.....then a month later, it is gone again........what kinda games are Fakku trying to play exactly?
Akemi Mokoto wrote...
ooook, got it. Bring loli to Fakku, a few months later it vanishes then a month after it vanished, it returns.....then a month later, it is gone again........what kinda games are Fakku trying to play exactly?

Exactly, some(most?) of us who were big fans of the controversial content feel dicked around by how its been handled recently.
dark494 wrote...
Kisuka wrote...
dark494 wrote...
Even doujin-moe.us has a better model than the one Fakku is going forward with from what I understand. Which is saying something, even I can't believe I said it. At least they don't mince words, hide changes, or censor any content from their users, and keep it 50/50 free/paid content, not to mention movies.

Except doujin-moe is profiting off scanlation works they didn't produce. Putting a paywall up in front of content that was meant to be freely shared due to an availability issue is never okay.

What FAKKU is doing is creating that legal availability option.

That's actually not entirely true. They have their own in-house translation team that is doing a good bulk of the work they put out. Just today they put out 16 new doujins/mangas all translated by their in-house team, and half of it is free.

You're ignoring the fact that DM is notorious for taking stuff other people translated and putting it behind their paywall, without permission from anyone. They just did that to a doujin I had translated through the e hentai bounty system on their previous update.
Akemi Mokoto Director of LDTF
Super_J wrote...
Akemi Mokoto wrote...

Exactly, some(most?) of us who were big fans of the controversial content feel dicked around by how its been handled recently.

I am fine with paying for hentai but to go from allowing to removing to re-adding to removing controversial content within a 6 month period pisses me off. At this point, I don't care beyond this final post. My faith in Fakku is gone, I hate games like this. If you are going to give us something, then LET US KEEP IT. Don't give it to us then take it away.

Sayonara Fakku. It has been a fun 4-years but I am done. I would preferred it if loli was never allowed here if they were going to pull a stunt like this. See ya, folks!
I have some questions that you need to take a serious look at to answer.

How much of your current content will be deleted?

At your most optimal estimations, how long will it take you to reach a similar level of quantity of content? As in, say you have 45,000 individual manga's published, how long will it take you to reach that same level of 45,000 again after the deletions?

How long will it take you to rebuild the current level of diversity of manga/doujinshi using your best estimations given the current ratio of content being published? For example, using the 45,000 above, say there are 10,000 incest; 8,000 NTR; 3,000 Loli etc, how long will it take you to re-build the lost content? This question is different from the previous because your current publishers will likely produce a far higher ratio of 'safe' or 'non-controversial' content than the current (or past) content that was added.

If going legit requires the deletion or removal of a significant percentage of your current content, what makes you think your community will stick around for the change?

If it takes too long for you to rebuild the current diversity of your content, what makes you think the people who are here now will stick around?

What, exactly, is giving you so much confidence that this change will work out well for the future of Fakku, given the ease of access to the same content on other sites? Sites, mind you, that aren't removing and re-enabling content due to it's controversial nature?

If you remove too large a percentage of your content, without some method of rapidly replacing it, then you will lose the majority of your users and your experiment in becoming a legit english hentai publication/distributor will be a failure. What is giving you the confidence that you will succeed? The internet is a fickle place, prone to change in swift and violent time periods. One is the norm one day, can be obscure and outdated in a week or month from now. How will you ensure that your users won't leave for a larger quantity and diversity of content, pirated or not?
I can honestly care less about the fact that Fakku is going legal.

All I'm worried about is the free content.

Will we still get free content as frequently as before or none at all?
Is there going to be any way to clean up our favorites so we can remove the content that can't be accessed anymore?
Well, what will you do about the broken links that in the search engines?
But why are you removing controversial content? I just don't understand what's wrong about having it onsite for users, It had to be one of the most popular categories but what made the decision to remove it again? I'm confused, is it harming your rep or the website? How does going legit have anything to do with controversial content? Please help me understand.
Jacob wrote...
There is a lot of good discussion going on in this thread, I'm glad to see a lot of users open up about these changes even if you don't agree with them. Rest assured that I am reading all the replies even though I'm not responding.

I can promise you, the future is bright. I wouldn't make a change like this unless I felt in my heart it was the right change to make. Trust me when I say that this is a good thing for all of us, trust in what we've been able to build here and will continue to build. I want you to take a look at a post I made in 2007, things were a lot different back then. https://www.fakku.net/forums/feedback-suggestions-and-support/new-server-costs

At the time my writing was a little sloppy and I was running FAKKU out of my dorm room/parents basement... but there is one key quote you can take away from that

jacob wrote...
Eventually I want to start translating the more popular manga titles, I want to talk with Japanese publishers and get them to ship us the actual manga and sell it on the site. There is so much that FAKKU still has in store!

That post was made 3 months after FAKKU first went online almost 9 years ago. This has been my goal, my dream, from the beginning. I did not create FAKKU to be a pirate, I created FAKKU to be a fan. I know what we have coming is a huge change and a little scary, I'm honestly scared too. No one has ever done this before. But that's what makes it so exciting. So I ask one last time for you to put your trust in me, and when this new service launches I hope you choose to support it.

I'm going to lock this thread until tomorrow, I want everyone who can to see this post before it gets bumped off. And I want to give everyone a chance to come up with some good replies for me between now and then.

You may have created it to be a fan, but things change.

For example, to quote that post you linked:

Honestly, I do not want ads on the site. I realize that a lot of you wouldn't mind having ads but I want FAKKU to be the greatest hentai website on the internet without a single popup or banner.

Now Fakku has had for a while the greatest number of(and the most intrusive) ads on any hentai site I've seen(a pop-under on every single image page load, really?), so obviously you threw this sentiment right out the door.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make more money for your business, but at least have some convictions and be up front about it dude. Like the other poster said, it's upsetting when you spout your high and mighty bullshit and pretend like you're doing something for noble reasons when you aren't.
poortenboro wrote...
Now Fakku has had for a while the greatest number of(and the most intrusive) ads on any hentai site I've seen(a pop-under on every single image page load, really?), so obviously you threw this sentiment right out the door.

If you're getting a popup on every page of an upload something is wrong with your setup, it should only pop up once.
I'm quite pleased with this transition and wish FAKKU all the best, I really found it deeply irritating that it was doing the hole double standard dance. You can't claim to be legit while hosting content you have no right to.
Making this transition will really be an interesting experiment to see if the western world is ready to embrace hentai at least to the same degree that it has anime.

Jacob wrote...
poortenboro wrote...

If you're getting a popup on every page of an upload something is wrong with your setup, it should only pop up once.

Superb dodging of his main point...
artcellrox The Grey Knight :y
You should have been kinda clearer about this from the start Jake. You need a better PR agent lol.

Nevertheless, it's a bold change, but I'm not one to argue propositions. Only results. If you guys can actually manage to make it big and make it last with this, you'll get a subscription from me in the future.

Side note, maybe I don't really give enough of a shit, and/or I believe the real fun of Fakku is in the people and never in the hentai, but as a result, a lot of the whiners who claim to "threaten" to leave Fakku like it was some bad girlfriend are just hilarious. Makes me feel like they need everything in this world given to them for free, and are probably bad with people as a whole.

News flash: life sucks. It's unfair. Get over it.
With almost no answer, so far, to the reasons why the controversial content and tags got purged after so many people ask; other than the fact that it's unoffial scanlation, but other unofficial scanlations still exist on the site, it makes it seem like the users are getting ignored which makes them not want to be around if they feel like they have no real voice in anything.
(seems like 'controversial' content was the easiest scapegoat to remove but no real reason to explain why. I could See why things incest and loli would get removed without to much reasoning but things like tentacle and monster girl seem really weird and I think deserve a reasoning for why they were all chosen to be removed at the same time first without warning, it seems an author got their content removed even when they themselves uploaded it, just cause it had tentacles.)

Why should the people choose to support Fakku if they feel that some of their favorite content will never show up due the purge and lack of information about it, and if they feel like any other work supported by Fakku could vanish without any word or reason?

About how much content would users get if they don't subscribe/pay to the services, will forums still be free to them or will those without a subscription lose everything they have made up to the point?

Will alternate methods to view content exist, with some works being free for a week or two, with a few ads, before being subscription only again?

Since copyright laws are a touchy subject, would all content containing copyrighted characters/materials be never allowed on the site, even if a artist on the list has made a doujin of it and/or it was featured in one of the magazines/books you were trying to publish? (such as NaPaTa having a Dragon's Quest and iDOLM@STER doujins on this site.)
Hello this is my first post.

I see people here just talking about monster girl and loli. You know some disgusting shit.

But where the fuck is my incest? Been a nice time lurking. And I honestly do not understand what is going on or what is going to happen, but what i can say is goodbye fakku.
guess its time to start seraching for a new group to stick with, I'm not following your plans. It was fun fakku...now its not.